TALES FROM MY WORKBENCH OF DOOM

This little lot arrived today, which will need to be run through the paint shop, at the very least to get a coat of weathering.

post-18718-0-24164100-1540044788_thumb.jpg

I also got my hands on a Stove R which I have not photographed, and I have a bargain Jubilee yet to come in a terrible BR Green livery, so she needed rescuing :)

When the Domestic Overlord finds out I;m dead :(

Hey,

There's some great looking models there, i can barely paint walls never mind painting and lining a full loco fleet!

How did you build your princess? I really want one for my N gauge layout but im not sure where to begin and what I can Frankenstein to create one (im still a noob!)

Hey,

There's some great looking models there, i can barely paint walls never mind painting and lining a full loco fleet!

How did you build your princess? I really want one for my N gauge layout but im not sure where to begin and what I can Frankenstein to create one (im still a noob!)

Trust me when it comes to painting I can walk past B&Q and get covered in paint.

I think I much prefer simple black freight engines, they are much easier to make, as for the Princess its a real miss-match of parts, if you accept a few compromises you can sort of cobble together something that looks like the prototype.

I have never really been a fan of the Princess's so put off adding one to the fleet for a long time, but after I thought the older farish Std 4, 2-6-4T chassis was a good place to start it all sort of snowballed from there. Oh and an older farish Black 5 body is a good place to start believe it or not.

The next job is to fit some parts to mount the chassis, and then work on the leading bogie and the trailing truck.

• Like 1

I have never really been a fan of the Princess's so put off adding one to the fleet for a long time, but after I thought the older farish Std 4, 2-6-4T chassis was a good place to start it all sort of snowballed from there. Oh and an older farish Black 5 body is a good place to start believe it or not.

Thanks that's a good tip, I am happy to compromise, its part and parcel of modelling in N!

I'm thinking maybe cobble one together using a duchess and a black 5, hopefully their offspring will roughly resemble a princess! Although I suspect i'll also potentially be making a huge rod for my own back!

Mine is a real rag bag of modelling, a bit of a Frankenstein really, In not giving away all my secrets (not that they are worth keeping) but....

If you start with one of the old farish Black 5 bodies (the early ones with the top of the firebox level with the cab roof - especially because they are dirt cheap to buy) and an old castle body, or a king if you can find them, you can lash something up that resembles a Princess :)

I really need to find some modelling time, at least enough to allow me to number, band and weather this locomotive and hide a lot of the wonky lining, Oh and fit all the details and the buffers and paint the buffer beam, and sort out the chassis and, and, and

post-18718-0-28727000-1541537648_thumb.jpg

Once complete I think this will be the one and only 4-6-2T in the fleet.

Edited by paulprice

• 3 months later...

Well before my 2+ month stay in Hospital I managed to obtain another cheap Jubilee, which was in that terrible BR green livery (why do the manufactures keep doing this?). As I am such a nice person I thought I would repaint her into a decent LMS crimson livery, then my health got in the way and all progress stopped.

Since I have been home recuperating I have been a very good boy and managed to find another poor Jubilee that needed rescuing on EvilBay that just happened to happen to fall into my hands.

The only problem is that one of the side effects is that I have problems with my right arm, and so have had to try using my left arm, I have managed to get a coat of crimson on both of them and a little black in the right places, but there is a lot of touching up to do.

Only God knows when I will be able to line them, perhaps I should stick to black freight locomotives in future :)

1952742266_2019-03-0719_44_08.jpg.8473dba31a73e5c26b6e640d963a2e5d.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

nil disperandum Paul.. don't give up.... just take it steady away

(and you can always weather over it... which is where I started weathering!)

Baz

• Like 1

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 18:21, Barry O said:

nil disperandum Paul.. don't give up.... just take it steady away

(and you can always weather over it... which is where I started weathering!)

Baz

Baz

Thanks its a very slow process even slower than my recovery from Hospital :( Still challenges are good