A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Finished a couple of trees today but I cannot decide which one best suits. I’m thinking the first one.

I like the second, only because you see less of a shadow cast on your wonderful backscene (but then I guess the layouts final lighting set up might change that?)

But they're both lovely little trees and both look good where they're growing!

Keith

And the winner is.............

Tree number 2 received the most votes so it’s planted. Mocked up a few details as well including the wheel barrow to mark the uncoupling magnet and a bicycle propped up against the yard hut.

I shall weather them before fixing.

post-5096-0-80081700-1527111831_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

Another piece of detail. This is an Oxford Models Fowler crane engine Wolverhampton Wanderer. I added a few small details, a driver, and some weathering. Just need something for it to load now.

post-5096-0-61518700-1527716187_thumb.jpeg

post-5096-0-23142400-1527716199_thumb.jpeg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Another piece of detail. This is an Oxford Models Fowler crane engine Wolverhampton Wanderer. I added a few small details, a driver, and some weathering. Just need something for it to load now.

The late Len Crane's crane !

A real gent and steam enthusiast who was responsible for the restoration of The Bratch steam pumping engine(s) amongst other things.

http://www.thebratch.org/

See article making reference to this

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/local-news/2015/02/11/funeral-for-black-country-steam-fanatic-len-crane/

• 2 weeks later...

Started work on the control panel and what will be the signal diagram which I knocked up this evening on the computer. The black dots is where there will be small push buttons for the electro magnets.

post-5096-0-35909000-1528839625_thumb.jpeg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Taken a couple of months away from the model making as the model room has been too hot thanks to the summer we’ve had so far. Anyway decided to install a small sad tree today as a partial view blocker and give a bit of interest at the front of the layout. It is modelled on a tree seen in a photo and I would guess its had a hard life to get into this state.

post-5096-0-33132700-1533933339_thumb.jpeg

post-5096-0-01631600-1533933356_thumb.jpeg

• Like 11

• 4 weeks later...

Distracted by a bit more loco building for the layout. This time a SE Finecast 517 kit. A nice little kit which went together ok, although I did make a new cab roof from brass sheet. For some strange reason you get 9 buffers, 3 water filers, 7 front steps etc. I take it you are expected to break a few parts long the way.

post-5096-0-50934200-1537197467_thumb.jpeg

• Like 10

Been looking through your thread PUASHP and all I can say is what a stunning layout! I've a question, how did you paint the sleepers and what ballast have you used? The trackwork looks superb, appologies if I missed it in an ealier post?

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Steve,

Sorry for the delay.

Ballast is a mixture of Woodland Scenics light grey N Gauge ballast, coloured with a light brown water based paint before laying down, mixed with Greenscene OO Gauge ballast in brown.

Track sleepers are painted in a grey and brown mix, rails in a track colour and rust mix. I use Humbrol enamels first then some acrylics for weathering.

The track is laid on wet pva and the ballast applied when wet. Leave for 2 minutes then vacuum off. Weight the track down whilst the glue dries.

Weathering is a diluted grey and brown mix, and some dry brushing .

I’m glad you like the effect. I am in the process of adding some weeds using a mix of static grass in layers and Woodland Scenics flock.

Paul

post-5096-0-84770900-1538598404_thumb.jpeg

post-5096-0-16310000-1538598939_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

Added a pit more point rodding today, and the posts and wheels for the signal wires. It’s all slow going and a bit fiddly bit I think it’s worth the effort. Need to add the cranks to connect up to the signal box, and the the two facing points locks and another ground signal.

post-5096-0-08512200-1538839879_thumb.jpeg

post-5096-0-26274300-1538839910_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5