A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

10 hours ago, Martync said:

Paul

Can I ask what type of card you use, and where do you get it from??  I've struggled to find a card which suits the "Pendon method" of construction.

Thanks

Martyn

Martyn,

The card came from a Daiso store in Japan as I was fortunate enough to be visiting there on business and picked up a few packs.  Not seen an equivelent in the UK. 

It it is really good stuff and takes scoring and painting without de-laminating. I have enough for my next project (just). Sorry that does not really help.

Paul

FFB0CBDA-C2B4-4A38-A059-0C3829EAEED7.jpeg

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Utterly superb, thanks for that!

Totally agree, proper railway film.

In a strange way it made me think of the ANTB trip at Cheltenham ! 

• RMweb Gold
Just now, bgman said:

In a strange way it made me think of the ANTB trip at Cheltenham ! 

I'd like to say, 'yes, I can see how it made you think of that', but unfortunately, I can't.

Or were there some wellies in that footage that I missed?

• Funny 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I'd like to say, 'yes, I can see how it made you think of that', but unfortunately, I can't.

Or were there some wellies in that footage that I missed?

I couldn't possibly say ! 

G.Olloshers

21 hours ago, PUASHP said:

Martyn,

The card came from a Daiso store in Japan as I was fortunate enough to be visiting there on business and picked up a few packs.  Not seen an equivelent in the UK. 

It it is really good stuff and takes scoring and painting without de-laminating. I have enough for my next project (just). Sorry that does not really help.

Paul

FFB0CBDA-C2B4-4A38-A059-0C3829EAEED7.jpeg

Paul

Many thanks.....at least I have the g/m2 weight to try and track down something in the UK!!

artyn

With only just over 2 months to my first show with Hembourne I had a sudden panic I may not have enough stock ready.  Here are a couple of quick wins if not 100% prototypical. A Butler is from Bachmann and pays homage to Pendon museum. It is totally out of place but as I have attended a number of their courses it will get conversation going as to why it’s there.  A Barnard is from Oxford Rail fitted with a sack load and weathered. It’s from Worcester so I can get away with it even if the wagon may not 100% accurate. I just need to fit couplings.

EB8822DA-70CC-482F-8EA6-FF0A32A7730C.jpeg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

It's a splendid show. Unfortunately I cannot make it as I am exhibiting in Staffordshire.  

Enjoy. 

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Unashamed plug time. Paul's beautiful layout will indeed be at the Warminster show as part of a very strong lineup which includes three other shortlisted layouts from the Cameo competition as well as the writer, publisher and all of the judges.

Full details here  

Jerry

Warminster_3c.jpg.3822652dd812bfa3b688d13090ec430e.jpg.ab6396a86f686cc22b5388ad5028e0a5.jpg

• Like 4

More stock, this time an O2 siphon off a well known auction site.  It is a K’s plastic kit with added details including brake gear, vacuum pipes, vacuum cylinder and compensation.  

It ran ran like a pig, maybe that’s why it was sold but some added weight, new wheel sets and re-fixing to rocking end of the compensation so it sat level did the trick.  No need to add any more detail and the weathering looked great.  Really happy.

D0DD4CFF-F2EF-4255-9EE4-DDFADCA8A1A5.jpeg

7A2FB23C-278E-4598-B18A-8223734E6AE8.jpeg

• Like 9

Work is progressing on the control panel using DCC Concepts Cobalt S lever frame to work the points and signal. Red for signal, black for points, white is spare and I’ve skipped the blue facing point lock.

The push buttons are for the electro magnet uncouplers, the switch is for the lights and the led’s are point indicators for normal or reverse.

Still a bit to do and I’m snagging as I go along if possible.

Paul

5BD99CA4-F19E-4B6A-93FB-F48CA6F77164.jpeg

Edited by PUASHP
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Inspired  by the new BBC celebrity painting competition i decided I need to tweak my backscene slightly. Please be the judge of before after tree line. In case you are wondering the  signal is off (down)  in the older picture.

A7B4E554-AFCD-4A05-99BF-4B8670EDFA9C.jpeg

22762F27-BEED-4037-A1F4-0B8C6A676577.jpeg

Edited by PUASHP
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

The back scene in the first image looks better to me. The reducing height of the tree line seems to draw my focus naturally into the distance and the two large trees in the centre nicely break up the uniformity of the distant hedgerow. But I can't paint for toffee and would be more than happy with either.

Very nice work. :ok:

• Agree 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I think both are equally good, although the line of trees in the photo where the signal is 'off' imply a possible gap in the tree line, behind the trees that you have actually modelled, or that the painted tree line in that photo doesn't necessarily connect with the modelled trees.

Captain The Mrs Kernow also prefers the lower photo!

Sorry!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

As Tim said, both are very good. I couldn't achieve either! But I think I prefer the second photo, I can picture the land falling away behind the last modelled tree and the hedgerow joining on a lower plain. However, I will stress again - both are excellent and way beyond what I could ever produce.

Kind regards,

Nick.

There's a subtle difference that I'd never have noticed until pointed out, as others have said they are both stunning and blend well with the layout. I'm afraid I'd never be able to do anything like that, I wouldn't know where to start! 

Steve.

Paul

In my previous job as a Sales Manager for a chemical company, I could often take a slight detour on my way to or from a customer to visit old railway sites.  I've come across some photos I took on one such detour along the Golden Valley - probably 6/7 years ago now.  Some buildings were still standing then...…  I shall now try and post some photos.....wish me luck!! 

From top to bottom; a small hut on the site of Bacton Siding; what I think is Westbrook Station building (now in a farm yard!) and a building I think at Peterchurch (or it could be Vowchurch)

Hope they are of interest!

Martyn

Bacton 4.JPG

Westbrook 1.JPG

Peterchurch 2.JPG

Edited by Martync
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Loving the pictures. One thing I did not get chance to do was visit the area before building Hembourne so I had to rely on old photos and Google street view. My excuse is it’s a fictional location so it’s impossible to prove it’s not 100% accurate. 

According to the sign sign outside the station Hembourne village is 1/2 mile to the right and Dorstone 7 miles down the road if you turn left.

9DF9488E-258F-4548-B4B9-7ABF85C136DA.jpeg

Edited by PUASHP
Spelling
  • Like 9

A little bit more work today on the fiddle yard. This was purchased off a friend based on a cassette system. I have modified a bit and will make up 5 cassettes in total. Just need to finish painting the new facia boards, fix the cameras to aid uncoupling (more on that later) and add the name-board and curtain.  Progress. 

00E58AD4-9A71-497C-A193-2C045F3ACD72.jpeg

037DDBB6-654E-4D30-A345-C960533EF7ED.jpeg

116B2551-4976-434A-8597-F4C47CDA2C1B.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1