A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

May I make a suggestion, though, please? If you paint the inside of the fiddle yard white, it could help in gloomy exhibition halls.

Whilst I tend to agree, I initially painted the fiddle yards on Modbury a nice bright white.  The problem came when I took photos looking along the layout - glaring white was seen through the bridge and mouse-hole leading off the scenic section!  I have since repainted both fiddle yards dark grey, and while I agree that in a dark exhibition hall it would be a problem, I think that can be overcome with clip on lighting (although I have not as yet done this).

Ian

• Informative/Useful 2

I have a suitable light if it’s an issue but I was aiming for the fiddle yard not to be seen when looking down the layout. In most cases I’ll just turn the cassettes so no uncoupling to be done, we’ll just have to wait and see.  On to painting the facia.

• Informative/Useful 1

Without giving too much away the layout is operated from the front and the uncoupling magnet at the far end is a long way to see if you are in the right place.  I have purchased a cheap car reversing camera and monitor positioned over the track so I can see what’s going on.  All will become clear when I fit it and I post the details, probably next week.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 04/03/2018 at 08:23, The Great Bear said:

I really like your painted backscene. It blends well with the layout, has a sense of depth, helped by the slightly subdued colours.

I also like the way you merge your roadtrack from the baseboard into the backdrop. Really good perspective.

• Agree 1

Well, made it through the first exhibition for Helbourne without any major issues. Despite loading the car in the rain this morning made it to the show and setup without getting the layout too wet.  

Running was fine except for one loco that had issues with dropping out of mesh, and the fact the couplings were troublesome as the layout was on a sloping floor and I did not bring enough packing to level it off.

Got a few good comments and a couple of potential show invites, and perhaps an article in MRJ.

Big thanks to everyone at the Warminster show and those that helped me pack the layout away before the rain came.

Overall a happy day.

F8683AA2-FA00-47F6-BD4C-6582FBA217B0.jpeg

E8EB54EB-BF79-4C51-B07C-93C62F4CBD20.jpeg

4221D883-509A-4D71-9B9B-5192ACCB5FAE.jpeg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

I'm glad things went well Paul. I must say the presentation of the layout is splendid. 

Rob.  

• Agree 3

23 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

I'm glad things went well Paul. I must say the presentation of the layout is splendid. 

Rob.  

Agreed, the presentation looks really good. (So does the layout of course)

• RMweb Gold

Very nice to meet you on Saturday Paul and I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.

Your layout is just sublime, really beautiful and artfully put together and presented too - just lovely.

Simon

• Agree 1

On ‎20‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 20:11, PUASHP said:

Martyn,

The card came from a Daiso store in Japan as I was fortunate enough to be visiting there on business and picked up a few packs.  Not seen an equivelent in the UK. 

It it is really good stuff and takes scoring and painting without de-laminating. I have enough for my next project (just). Sorry that does not really help.

Paul

FFB0CBDA-C2B4-4A38-A059-0C3829EAEED7.jpeg

If its any help, there was quite a bit of discussion on good modelling card on my thread about our Club layout 'Trenance' along with some suppliers which may be of interest:

Page 3, posted about June 12th I think.

Steve

Edited by steve howe

1 hour ago, outatime said:

Stunning layout, the backscene makes it so much wider.

I found this Video yesterday, at 15:33 you can see Hembourne:

Regards,

Björn

Enjoyed watching the video, I'd agree with peoples comments Hembourne  looks fantastic, I love the details and the backscene really adds depth. hope I get to see it sometime.

Steve.

13 hours ago, steve howe said:

If its any help, there was quite a bit of discussion on good modelling card on my thread about our Club layout 'Trenance' along with some suppliers which may be of interest:

Page 3, posted about June 12th I think.

Steve

Steve

Many thanks for this information - very helpful.  Am I right in thinking you were the creator of Roseladden Wharf??  I remember seeing it at a Blackburn exhibition in the late 80's, and it was a real inspiration.

Rgds

Martyn

• RMweb Premium

Just catching up with developments at Hembourne, and what an absolute stunner of a layout!

So sorry I missed Warminster, but I had a good excuse; I was exhibiting elsewhere.

Really looking forward to seeing more, do you have any more shows booked?

Thanks very much, Dave.