A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Some days painting the back scene really stressing me out and I feel it will never work. Other days I feel relaxed and enjoy the painting and the results are always better. Starting the build up the distant detail from the photographic detail.

For me it's slow work as I find I cannot manage more than 1 hour at a time withoutout getting frustrated or fed up. I shall persevere though as I've told myself I cannot lay any more track until the back scene is finished.

post-5096-0-74998300-1500412609_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

That backscene looks superb, and the brain doesn't see the join, even if the eye does.

Agreed.

Maybe making one of the field hedges coincide with the join would help to disguise it.

...R

Thanks for the feedback. I need to do a bit of work on the sky to help hide the join, and there will be a hedge at baseboard level as well so hopefully the eye will not be too distracted by the join,

• RMweb Premium

Hi,  This project is looking beautiful.

I have a very soft spot for the Golden Valley Railway, there's actually quite a lot of photos online if anyone is looking for info.  The stations are all very "modellogenic", especially as most (all?) have a level crossing as well.

Looking forward to following the development, and I hope, see it at an exhibition one day?

Plan is to build in card as I did with my model of Stanton.

Coincidentally I also have a soft spot for the Highworth branch, is there anywhere we can see your Stanton model illustrated?

Thanks very much,

Dave.

As an aside, I had no idea that the Midland got to Hay on Wye.
Rob.

The Midland got pretty much everywhere....

Edited by DLT
  • Like 1

Looking forward to following the development, and I hope, see it at an exhibition one day....

Dave,

I have my first invite already to the Wimborne Model Railway Show in March 2019. It's a lovely little 2 day show that runs biannually and usually has some great layouts so really looking forward to being there.

Sorry, there is no published articles on the Stanton diorama yet but watch this space.

Paul

post-5096-0-57436100-1500497252_thumb.jpg

Edited by PUASHP
  • Like 7

In a break from the back scene painting did a lilttle more track work today, namely building the first of the trap points from the loop.

And with the point blade fixed to the tie bar

post-5096-0-33879300-1500754106_thumb.jpg

post-5096-0-28317300-1500757608_thumb.jpg

Edited by PUASHP
  • Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

And a bit more hedging along the tree line. As you can tell from the number of photos I take it slowly with the backscene adding a bit more detail at a time, then sitting back and taking a good look before deciding what to do next. Hopefully that's this bit of the backscene finished now.

post-5096-0-27578800-1502564703_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I expect you can see from the fact I have not fully completed the track laying or the backscene that I like to work on a few aspects of the layout at the same time to get a better feel for the finished product, and maybe adjust a few things on the way. Today I started making a tree to get an idea of scale against the backscene before any more painting.

The branches are made from wire used for sugar flowers, twisted together and then some florists tape for binding. I then coat with dilute PVA before applying the bark mix later. This is made from Artex, PVA and a dash of black powder paint . Using the PVA and Artex mix avoids cracking. So far so good.

post-5096-0-75459500-1503415902_thumb.jpg

post-5096-0-16418600-1503415969_thumb.jpg

post-5096-0-94605800-1503415987_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Painted the tree today with a mix of grey, brown and green acrylics. When dry I add a small amount of dark poly fibre to simulate small branches and then Woodland Scenics medium green foliage mat, all glued with PVA. Once dry I shall spray with a Matt lacquer just to hold everything together.

post-5096-0-49053200-1503486623_thumb.jpg

post-5096-0-33431900-1503486633_thumb.jpg

post-5096-0-11722300-1503486645_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

There are now 2 other trees. There will be a hedgerow as well but I now need to turn my attention back to the backscene and track work, and finishing the station building. Don't worry they are not planted yet hence being a bit of a funny angle.

post-5096-0-97023500-1504034706_thumb.jpg

Edited by PUASHP
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

After a few weeks off got back into the spirit with some wagon building of local private owner coal wagons. This is a Slaters kit from POWSides. A nice little kit which I have changed the brake lever for a brass one and added some weight. Just the sprat and winkle couplings to add, a coal load and paint the underframe before weathering. I have 2 others to build when I get some more split spoke wheelsets.

post-5096-0-29189800-1504908073_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

This is an example of the type of train that will be running once the layout is completed. The 517 is a Models and Leisure cast whitemetal kit, then a London Road Models Taff Vale horsebox, a Slaters clerestory and a modified Ratio van. Currently I have 5 train formations in the planning with more stock building required to meet this plan.

post-5096-0-05100300-1504958223_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

My method for trees cam from Gordon Gravett. He suggested taking a photo of a tree in winter, printing off at the size you want, marking in the main branches then bending the wire to match the drawing. It will certainly get you closer to the real thing even if it is time consuming.

• Like 3