A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Finally 2 more 4 wheelers to join the party, both second hand purchases with some added detail, regauged to EM and weathered. These will form part of a short Milk and Fruit train. I now have 1 more 4 wheeler to finish to complete the passenger, mixed and milk formations. Lastly will be the goods. All going well except I am a couple of locos short so next up will be an SE Finecast 645 class pannier tank, converted from their 1854 kit. I also have a part finished Metro tank to complete which should give me 5 locos for the 4 train formations.

post-5096-0-78053500-1514319328_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Second 4 wheeler completed. This time in an all over dark chocolate lake colour dating back to 1918 and looking a bit tatty by the time of our model in the late 1920's, early 1930's. This was a second hand kit painted, lined and weathered. The coaches sport the small destination boards used on some branch trains around this period. This mixed goods represents the longest train the loop will take.

A very nice train. I like the mixed liveries. The T47 looks good in a single colour. A third coach in workmen's brown would add further to the fun!

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Worried about getting the roadway correct.

If I could paint backscenes like that I wouldn't be worried at all.

It looks superb, especially that roadway, even without any foreground scenery

Brilliant, Dave.

Edited by DLT
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

Turned my attention back to wiring on board 2 and point control. The point motors are Tortoise and I have decided to make them DCC controlled using DCC Concepts AD1 decoders. They were simple and easy to install and programme and for this small layout saves having an external power supply for the point motors. I also plan to fit some of their lever frame type switches when I get round to building a control panel but it means I can operate the layout with or without a separate panel.

Also been doing a bit of kit building on an SE Finecast pannier tank and you will a thread for that elsewhere in the kit building section.

post-5096-0-20136900-1517057982_thumb.jpg

post-5096-0-05007100-1517058095_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

More distractions from finishing the track and wiring. Drilled some holes ready to take the GWR style wire and post fencing at the rear of the layout. Also sited the small hut built early on in this thread and based on the one from Marlborough.

post-5096-0-95439000-1517748285_thumb.jpeg

post-5096-0-54084100-1517748298_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

It does look fantastic. One tiny Percy Pedant Point I noticed was that the uprights of the fencing leading up to the cattle pen aren't vertical. I notice this a lot on layouts – it tends to be an effect of using ready made fencing and it's one of those tiny things that when right makes a scene totally believable. The uprights on fencing are at least upright or not far off it maintained or new. In the prototype picture you show the uprights are indeed vertical or very close to it. I shall return to my burrow now.

As I think I may have noted before your backscene is very, very well done.

Good point, they must have been drunk when the fence was put up. Not sure how easy it will be to fix but I’ll add to the list of detailing when I get to this part of the layout again. All observations gratefully received.

• 4 weeks later...

As it was way too cold to go outside today managed a bit more on the layout. Firstly planted the fence posts, 84 are required in total. Peco’s finest suitable weathered and space at 10mm intervals. I then added some static grass and it’s amazing how the layout suddenly comes to life. Grass is a mix of Greenscenes summer and spring and straw colours with a mix of short and long fibres. A bit of Woodland Scenics flock adds to the picture. The traction engine is from Oxford Models and will be detailed and weathered ready to work the yard. A bit of over indulgence I know. Happy so far.

post-5096-0-25529600-1520025458_thumb.jpeg

post-5096-0-94076700-1520025477_thumb.jpeg

post-5096-0-78391400-1520025493_thumb.jpeg

post-5096-0-57725900-1520025513_thumb.jpeg

post-5096-0-70225600-1520025526_thumb.jpeg

• Like 13

Added the wire to the posts. I have used 0.12mm fishing line, coloured with a black marker pen and glued to the posts. I used only 5 strands instead of 7 in real life, and weathered them in a bit. The hedge behind is Woodland Scenics light green foliage mat.

post-5096-0-60740300-1520113419_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

Hi,

Could you expand a little on the textures and colours used in the road through the goods yard? I picked up on a previous post that you were concerned that you hadn't got it right, but the last couple of posts confirm that you most definitely have!

Very inspiring - just my kind of "less is more" railway, where you can spend lots of time on the detail.

Regards,

Geraint

• Like 1

Geraint,

Yard texture from the top.

The yard base is 3mm foam from C&L the same as underneath the trackwork. This is then painted brown. Next up is a mix of brown, grey and pva. Whilst this is wet Chinchilla dust (available from your local pet store) is added sieved through a pair of ladies tights (bought just for this task I hasten to add). It dries quickly so work a small area at a time keeping a wet edge free of the dust. When fully dry vacuum off and then a good brush where you want the worn areas to be. Next up another dilute coat of the brown, grey and pva mix. Finally another wash of tthe grey brown mix and then some weathering powder, mainly around the edges.

In all of this only 4 products were used and I have attached a photo of the paints and weathering powder. I hope this helps.

Paul

post-5096-0-67370800-1520173844_thumb.jpeg

Geraint,

Yard texture from the top.

The yard base is 3mm foam from C&L the same as underneath the trackwork. This is then painted brown. Next up is a mix of brown, grey and pva. Whilst this is wet Chinchilla dust (available from your local pet store) is added sieved through a pair of ladies tights (bought just for this task I hasten to add). It dries quickly so work a small area at a time keeping a wet edge free of the dust. When fully dry vacuum off and then a good brush where you want the worn areas to be. Next up another dilute coat of the brown, grey and pva mix. Finally another wash of tthe grey brown mix and then some weathering powder, mainly around the edges.

In all of this only 4 products were used and I have attached a photo of the paints and weathering powder. I hope this helps.

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for the explanation - it's come out wery well!

Geraint

Just for info I shall be demonstrating some of the scenic techniques used on this layout at Expo EM on the 19th and 20th May 2018 in Bracknell. I will also have my small GWR Stanton diorama on display. Please come along and say hello.

Paul

Edited by PUASHP
  • Like 2