S7 scratch building

Speaking as someone who has only recently figured out how to make the Slaters' sprung axleguards work properly, I suppose improvement is always possible. But as the standard gets higher, the marginal improvement gets both smaller and tougher.

I have to say that I find this work delightful, not only for its quality, but also because of the nature of the prototypes, which are generally both old and rare. Dapol will not be bringing out anything of this sort any time soon. 

• RMweb Premium

Poggy, thanks again for the kind words.

Repainted the ironwork with the black let down with about 20 % Matt White.

I have started on the flag that was painted on the side. The flag pole was painted white and the flag was yellow with a black diamond. When the paint is dry I will go over with the yellow.

post-20018-0-75707400-1498652889_thumb.jpeg

post-20018-0-28777900-1498652901_thumb.jpeg

• Like 9

Washer plates and such so much better with your use of black/white mix - you might find that Payne's Grey offers a result without having to mix paints.

How have you achieved the "air-gap" above the top of the side doors?

• RMweb Premium

The gap above the doors was made by drilling a row of holes with a .44mm drill. I then used a fine blade to join the holes together. A final clean up with a very fine file that I have had for years, not sure where I got this from. It is a metal file but it is only .23mm thick by 23mm wide.

• Like 1

Just a thought.  I never paint anything black, and like to include more of the dirt to begin with. "Black" areas tend to be 50/50 black and earth brown.  Only really needs a little dry brushing after that.

That's 4mm. I daresay 7mm can stand a greater content of black.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have just started to paint the second wagon from John G. Morris. This is a 3 plank wagon, again from a photo obtained from the Wigan Record Office. I have painted the flag a different shade of Humbrol yellow, number 86 matt against matt 99 Lemon yellow. I have gone over the first wagon with the same colour.

post-20018-0-53962500-1499164549_thumb.jpeg

post-20018-0-34975700-1499164563_thumb.jpeg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Graham

That's not a problem. I am not going to Telford on my bike this year but in the car. I am off to Bosnia shortly cycling, so that will be enough for my old legs.

Edited by airnimal

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have put the brake gear and wheels on the second John G. Morris wagon. All was going well so I painted the next wagon which is from the Wigan Coal & Iron Co. For some reason I painted this wagon red oxide instead of dark grey, must have been a senior moment. I will have a look tomorrow to see if I can repaint it dark grey without making a pigs ear of it.

post-20018-0-57921400-1499897381_thumb.jpeg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I have taken one of my many reject wagon bodies and given it a coat of red oxide before spraying it with dark grey. I wanted to see if to many coats of paint would obscure the detail before I went over the Wigan coal wagon. The jury is out on this, and I might not bother. Do I go back and make another body and start again ? I have ordered the plates for the Wigan coal wagon so I think I have answered my own question.

post-20018-0-47485500-1499935748_thumb.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Worsdell forever, the door has been modelled with slightly open. I did think about having a working door but in the end thought better try and keep some of my sanity. My wife and children may dispute that last statement .

• Like 3

Here is the Wigan coal wagon in red oxide. I may ponder for a couple of days before making a decision on its fate.

It looks good to me (on screen). I'm very inspired by your work.

But I'd say the critical thing about scratchbuilding is keep your standards high. If you're not happy with the result, then reject it and start again. With scratchbuilding, costs are usually low (apart from time), so not a lot is lost. The real pleasures come from, a) the process of making it yourself, and b) being in control of the standard of the model (all aspects).

Keep up the inspiring model-making!

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

For me, the quality of the work shines through the paint. Often a "good coat of paint" covers many errors, but in these cases it's more a matter of getting a finish to match the workmanship. For me, the outcome is fine; if you hadn't said that the undercoat was red, I'd never have guessed.

O well I have taken the bull by the horns and resprayed the Wigan coal wagon dark grey. Nothing ventured........

And nothing lost!  I can only agree with the other comments.

Jim

O well I have taken the bull by the horns and resprayed the Wigan coal wagon dark grey. Nothing ventured........

This reminds me that I have to do the opposite – a GWR mink I'd painted in grey should really be in red... I've not grasped that particular nettle yet.

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for all the kind comments, very reassuring . I needed to paint a star on the side of this wagon, but how ? I went looking for a stencil from a children's drawing set without much success before coming across these stick on stars from W.H.Smiths. I used the smallest star as a template and then drew around the star with a drawing pen. It was then a question of filling in the centre part before adding the shading which I will do later. The interior has been given a first coat of very thin paint.

post-20018-0-57039700-1500020504_thumb.jpeg

post-20018-0-11080500-1500020517_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

There ought to be a 'star' rating...

I'm intrigued by theses early PO wagons - presumably the flag and star serve the same purpose as the so-called 'illiterate' marks on company owned stock - the LNWR's Egyptian diamonds etc.? Are the wagons to be lettered too?

• RMweb Premium

Compound2632, Yes they will be lettered and have cast plates with the name and numbers on. I have ordered some etched plates for these. The art work for these is shown above behind the wagon.

post-20018-0-25683100-1500033382_thumb.jpeg

post-20018-0-85223300-1500033413_thumb.jpeg

• Like 9

A couple of cruel close up shots that does show that the paint is to thick.

I think you are being too self critical and I can't see what makes you say that.   As well as the 'absolutely brilliant' button we also need a 'disagree' one!   :declare:

Jim

• Agree 1