S7 scratch building

Mike,

Your attention to detail is an inspiration and the painting and inscribed planking of the inside of the wagon is subtle and 'real.' I hope you don't mind an addendum to the comments about wooden standardized buildings.

Nick and Jol,

Last night, while doing some quiet bed-time reading of some old HMRS Journals, given to me by a friend,  I came across this quote by Philip Millard from his research into LNWR Minute books which were/are held at the Public Records Office, Kew. (HMRS Journal Vol 10 No 4  p95  Oct-Dec 1979). It does seem to suggest F W Webb as the source of the design of standardized buildings even if it was the drawing office that produced the plans.

"Wooden Huts

July 1880.  " Mr Webb showed plans of a new cabin which would be far superior and cost less in repairs than  the old carriage bodies used generally for the purpose." In the following month it was ordered that these new standard cabins should be supplied in the future, and that Mr Bore was to dispose of the old carriage bodies which will no longer be used as cabins.  Until this date old carriage bodies had been supplied to places throughout the system for use as mess-rooms, stores, lamp rooms and offices, but thereafter the standard wooden huts were used.  These were supplied in three sizes,  8ft x 8ft,  16 ft x 8ft, and  24ft x 8ft and were also widely used as booking offices and waiting shelters" 

Hope this is useful.

Best wishes

Rich

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Signalman Rich said:

Mike,

Your attention to detail is an inspiration and the painting and inscribed planking of the inside of the wagon is subtle and 'real.' I hope you don't mind an addendum to the comments about wooden standardized buildings.

Nick and Jol,

Last night, while doing some quiet bed-time reading of some old HMRS Journals, given to me by a friend,  I came across this quote by Philip Millard from his research into LNWR Minute books which were/are held at the Public Records Office, Kew. (HMRS Journal Vol 10 No 4  p95  Oct-Dec 1979). It does seem to suggest F W Webb as the source of the design of standardized buildings even if it was the drawing office that produced the plans.

"Wooden Huts

July 1880.  " Mr Webb showed plans of a new cabin which would be far superior and cost less in repairs than  the old carriage bodies used generally for the purpose." In the following month it was ordered that these new standard cabins should be supplied in the future, and that Mr Bore was to dispose of the old carriage bodies which will no longer be used as cabins.  Until this date old carriage bodies had been supplied to places throughout the system for use as mess-rooms, stores, lamp rooms and offices, but thereafter the standard wooden huts were used.  These were supplied in three sizes,  8ft x 8ft,  16 ft x 8ft, and  24ft x 8ft and were also widely used as booking offices and waiting shelters" 

Hope this is useful.

Best wishes

Rich

Rich,

Philip is, as ever, a wonderful source of information on LNWR carriages and related topics.

While FWW seems to get the limelight, Bore as Carriage Superintendent and in charge of Wolverton Carriage Works, would seem the person most likely to have been responsible for design and construction of the smaller wooden buildings, even if Webb was the one to show off the drawings as CME.

I'd still like to know the story behind the larger "pre-fab" buildings. Perhaps this does point to Wolverton being involved, perhaps in producing the components for assembly on site.

Jol

• Like 2

Jol,

Thanks for your reply. I wondered who Mr Bore was. I should have thought to check my copy of "The Trainmakers - the story of Wolverton Works" by Bill West, in case there was any information.  ( I just did. He was Carriage Superintendant  from 1865 -1886). There is no mention of any building, pre-fab or otherwise that I have found yet in Mr West's book. Although there is a plan inside the front cover from 1906  it shows a  Timber gantry, Timber Hoist, Timber stores and Timber drying shed, but nothing about buildings I am afraid - so the search will have to go on.

Best wishes

Rich

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

While FWW seems to get the limelight, Bore as Carriage Superintendent and in charge of Wolverton Carriage Works, would seem the person most likely to have been responsible for design and construction of the smaller wooden buildings, even if Webb was the one to show off the drawings as CME.

As I understand it, Webb was appointed to the position of Locomotive Superintendent but this was soon changed to Chief Mechanical Engineer - possibly the first such on a British railway? Did this involve a genuine enlargement of responsibility, i.e. the Carriage (& Wagon) Superintendent(s)(?) answering to Webb rather than to the relevant committee of the Directors?

• RMweb Premium

Not at the workbench at present but I would like to show some superb weathering from a friends stock.

All are American of course but rust is the same the world over and ageless. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by airnimal
Post the same photo twice
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Good example of how good modelling transcends all else. When people say "there's nothing for me" in a magazine or an exhibition, they are generally wrong because if the modelling is quality or makes use of new techniques there is usually something to be learned from it. 

• Agree 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well the decorating at my daughter's house is now done and I have to return home. I will miss my daughter and the sunshine and cycling without getting wet but I will be able to get back to the workbench and see my other half and children.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Jim,  yes that is Perth in WA. My middle daughter lives there just outside in Mount Claremont. 

I have been to help her in her new house as well as seeing some railway stuff.  The photo of the signal box about the tracks is taken at Mount Claremont station on the line to Freemantle.

Nickel Line,  my bike was as clean as yours many years ago but after buying it in 2006 it has been to more than 10 countries. I did think about having it repainted but not all the places I go are as clean as Austraila. 

While i was away my good friend has bought a Connisseur bogie brick wagon which he wants me to build for him ?

I don't know when I will get the time to build this as my better half want me to decorate all the down stairs rooms. 

My planned start for a layout looks to be getting pushed back even further. image.jpeg.096ecaa227ff301331f9554c192492f7.jpeg 

Edited by airnimal
Miss spelling
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, airnimal said:

Nickel Line,  my bike was as clean as yours many years ago but after buying it in 2006 it has been to more than 10 countries.

Looks can be deceptive. Mine is actually older than yours, 2004, but has been to fewer countries, but some multiple times. I've worn the rims out twice in that time...

I've not posted on here in relation to your work, as I can't hope to match your marvellous creations. I mostly kit build in 7 and 4mm with some scratch-built detail. I like to keep an eye on your progress for inspiration!

That bogie brick kit apparently has a small novel by way of instructions! :o

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well it's time I got back to the workbench after all the family duties. 

Decided to start to clear my workshop because I have put off for too long the start of a layout. In the clear out I found a LNWR one plank body doing nothing in a box, so I have put some wheels on it and it can now join the queue of wagons awaiting to be finished.

I also made a new pattern for the brake levers for the ballast wagons.

I just need to take it to Dave at JPL models to mill me a couple from 22 thou brass or nickel.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

I have started to clear my workshop ready to start my small diorama type layout.  It's amazing how much stuff we collect that we find hard to part with. If I place the layout at a height of 4' high I will have a space of 14' long by 3' tapering to 1' 6" at one end. So basically a small shunting plank. 

I have bought a small glass cabinet to store and display the models so far built or bought and the layout will be placed above this along with space for a couple of bikes underneath. 

I now need a track plan something along the lines of Arun Quay built by Gordon Gravett. The problems I have that in S7 the length of the points will be nearly double that of the layout built by Gordon in finescale.

Anyway the room has nearly been emptied ready to make a start. 

Another new addition came today in the form of one of  Minerva's  Manning  Wardle saddle tanks which will need converting to S7. I will take it to my friends layout later to give a shake down to check everthing works as it should, but I don't think I will have any worries as it looks very well made. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Tricky,  thanks for the vote of confidence in my ability, I wish I had as much in myself as you do. 

Laying out a couple of templates on the floor along side a rule gives a clue on how little room I have for a S7 layout. A B10 turnout is 24" long with a B7 at 21". So I think B7 is going to be the largest size I am going to use. Laying out my chopper tank and 6 wagons on the floor  works out at 38". 

Some people have the vision of what they want from a railway but I have never been blessed with that skill.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 8

And don’t forget Y turnouts are shorter as well. My ‘Monks Gate’ has only a cross-over (albeit shorter finescale B7 I think) Most of the manoeuvres being carried out using a traverser at one end and a sector plate at the other. 

Do not despair- it is possible!!

Ive been thinking I would love to be able to make wagons like these and in the same fashion. I also think I could do with some non-Midland stock. Is there a suitable easy prototype LNWR wagon say anything from 1 to 3 plank open suitable for circa 1907, that you could recommend or better still show us mere mortals how to make step by step?

• Agree 2