S7 scratch building

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

I hope there is not going to be any suggestion of some sort of hierarchy in this debate. Surely what is important is the satisfaction and pleasure the builder gained from the exercise? For the record I've done 1-7 of the above, but have neither the skills nor facilities to make motors, gears, wheels etc. 

I was merely suggesting a range, to show that there's no hard-and-fast definition for scratchbuilding. But if there was a hierarchy, Mike would certainly be a high priest!

10 hours ago, airnimal said:

If I had to wait for the kits I wish to have models of I would be waiting a very long time. So I scratch build, simple !

But surely it's not the case that one scratchbuilds only as a last resort? There's sometimes unfavourable comparison between the cost of a RTR locomotive and the equivalent kit; surely if the kit is more expensive than the RTR, that premium is worth paying for the fun and satisfaction of building it yourself?

9 hours ago, Furness Wagon said:

I have developed a few wagon kits that will not go out because they aren't ever going to ever be of interest to anyone other than me. 

You don't know that unless you advertise them!

But as Tricky says, let's sit back and admire - then be spurred on to improve our own efforts.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Tricky said:

Good grief. Maybe discuss this somewhere else (if indeed it merits discussion) and concentrate on drooling over and admiring Mike’s superb work? Let’s not scare him off. 

You are quite right. It doesn’t merit discussion, but these things happen!

Whilst out and about today, I realised there is a way to avoid the whole issue: “hand built”. 

It is poetically imprecise...

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Gentlemen, thank you all for your input but I am not going to change my view on what I call my modelling. The name scratch building has been around as long as I have been cutting bits of metal and plastic. I personally don't think the name infers any hierarchy or elitism but just acknowledges the origins of of the model involved.

i found I was not competent at kit building to the standard that satisfied me so I started to "scratch build" which gave me the results I was looking for.

I have now weathered the cattle wagon with lime wash but the photograph I have been working from shows I have done this to lightly, so I will go back and do it it again.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium

Marc, the lime wash was done using Winsor & Newton white ink which is water soluble.

i will try going over it with Humbrol Matt white to give it a stronger dept of colour.

I have just had a visit from Nigel Thornley who is one half of Lanky kits. He had come to collect the master for the L&Y wagon that I made for him. After a discussion he ask me to add marks on the master to locate the position for the brackets which hold the drop down end doors. 

I am also going to finish another part made master for a L&Y sand wagon that was made by someone else.

He also gave me a couple of etches for some L&Y underframe parts which will come in useful. If I had them several months ago I would not have had to cut out the brake shoes by hand which would have saved me a few hours work when I was building the L&Y one plank open.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Although I try to check all the drawings when making models there are traps for the unwary, and I have just fallen into one such trap. This was on the pattern for the one plank L&Y wagon.

Nigel asked me to mark the position of the brackets for the drop down doors but when I came to mark the position, something was not right. 

The L&Y draftsman who did the original drawing wrote the distance as five foot eight and a half inches but actually drew the distance as five foot ten inches. That's only a scale one and a half inches out but it was enough to make the hinges slightly in the wrong place.

I had got the distance right as to were the buffers were to be located but I have had to remove the hinges and relocate them. When they would have been made at the works this would have been pick up and moved accordingly by the works foreman. Just another little pitfall for us modellers. 

I am now glad that Nigel asked me to provide a location mark otherwise this may have not been found before it was to late.

image.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

............….and I would have expected a near scrupulous removal of straw remnants.  Labour was cheap then and the railway could not afford to be accused of cross contamination of stock.

Nevertheless I do like what has been done even if it is perhaps more appropriate to several decades later.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Tricky, I use this string just cut up into tiny bits with scissors and scattered at random and over sprayed with Matt varnish. 

As people have said it does need more lime wash. I may go over it again with more Humbrol Matt White.

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Andy Hayter said:

............….and I would have expected a near scrupulous removal of straw remnants.  Labour was cheap then and the railway could not afford to be accused of cross contamination of stock.

Nevertheless I do like what has been done even if it is perhaps more appropriate to several decades later.

Was thinking the same, the lad needs sending back in with a broom and a clip round the ear...

But being serious it does look rather good. 

21 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

Was thinking the same, the lad needs sending back in with a broom and a clip round the ear...

But being serious it does look rather good. 

I thought the straw remnants brought a bit of 'life' to the model - no. not mites etc.,
A nice touch, 'airnimal' :)

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have sprayed the L&Y steel underframe one plank open today taking advantage of the fine weather. Unfortunately I have used the wrong grey. It is to dark so it will have to be lightly toned down. The interior wood is still to be painted.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

I have put the transfers and number plates on. The tare weight I have reduced by a couple of hundred weight from the photograph in the wagon book. Wagons sometimes lost a bit after overhaul, so I am claiming this because rule 1 applies here. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

• RMweb Premium

Guy, I am sorry because I bought these powders many years ago and I put them into store without the packing. So I am unable to identify the origin.

I used the cream coloured ones which seem to work best. I must spray a Matt varnish over the wagon to preserve the finish. I tend to use the Citadel Munitorum varnish from the games workshop.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have tried hard to paint the woodwork to look like worn wood. Unfortunately it is one aspect of modelling I am hopeless at as well as not enjoying it. This wagon will probably end up having a permanent load of some sort to disguise my poor attempt at wood. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

17 minutes ago, airnimal said:

I have tried hard to paint the woodwork to look like worn wood. Unfortunately it is one aspect of modelling I am hopeless at as well as not enjoying it. This wagon will probably end up having a permanent load of some sort to disguise my poor attempt at wood. 

You are too hard on yourself, Airnimal.  That is a brilliant representation of worn wood.  I only wish I could achieve the same!!

Jim

• Like 1
  • Agree 9