S7 scratch building

Autocorrect and predictive text are posters worst enemies.    As one whose spelling was (and is) never good I refrain from making comment.  As Alan has said, it's the content that is important, any comments on mis-spellings are very much tongue-in-cheek!

Jim

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, airnimal said:

Thanks meil. As most people reading my post will be aware I have suffered with dyslexia all my life. I used to shy away from social situations were it would be apparent that I was assumed I was a dunce. But now  having brought up 3 daughters who have  6 degrees between I don't think I have anything to be ashamed of. I left school at 15 but I didn't go much in the last 3 years because I struggled with English. I had months of English lessons in my 40's without any improvement so I gave up and accepted that I was thick.

Perhaps I should just provide pictures without words in future.

I couldn't care less if you spell something wrong. Your modelling is excellent and that's all that matters. I've had a look through the posts of the person who made the snide comment and there's not a single one that shows his own modelling,  if a ll he can do is pick fault with someone's spelling then shame on him. Keep on posting, words and pictures!

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

Maybe Meil was making a pun on “allowed/aloud”, and being lighthearted about it?

After all, if Prof Laurie Taylor can use them same aural slight of hand on Radio 4 (with “Thinking Allowed”), where’s the harm in it?

No disrespect to you and your struggles, Mike, but are we not all in danger of getting too serious about things and being over-sensitive rather than seeing the humour? I mean, people issue hyperbolic phrases to suggest that the lack of a particular livery variant on an RTR model is making them seriously depressed, but you don’t see everyone who has a diagnosis of depression ranting about how little understanding this shows of a debilitating mental condition.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks to all the people who have been kind regarding my poor knowledge with my language skills. I knew from the first few weeks at school over 60 years ago that I had a problem but I was never able or clever enough to do anything about it. My father never spoke to me for over 10 years when I was young because of his battle with depression which didn't help me at the time when I needed it most. 

I am not asking people to feel sorry for me. I have made my way in the world with some success. My children are my both mine and my wife's success.

I spent the last 10 years of my working life making parts for the scientific industry teaching myself to tig weld at the age of 55.

I was part of a team that machined the graphite core of 2 nuclear power stations as well as spending time on airfield maintenance / aircraft recovery.

Spelling has been embarrassing all my life but it never stopped the phone ringing in the middle of the night when an employer was in deep trouble because they had an aircraft with a collapsed under frame blocking their main runway.

Meil comments didn't bother me, I can see funny side of things with the best of them.

Edited by airnimal
  • Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

That’s good, Mike.

English is not the best language in the world when it comes to spelling: something like 100 ways to write 44-46 sounds, using 26 letters. Old English was regularised, but then the Normans introduced French to these islands and it all got messed up,

Plus, Dr Johnson wasn’t interested in the spelling of words than their meaning, and unfortunately his strange spelling got locked down...

When you add in predictive text, autocorrect, fat fingers, rushing, variable levels of education into the mix, then dyslexia becomes just one of many reasons for homonyms. I thought Meil’s comment was funny, and your response also the perfect response to a witticism. It was every man and his dog turning things into a lynch-fest which bothered me.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

I know what it's like with dyslexia, my English is not so hot, and my son has dyslexia. Once I got over him being put in a category, I found out all I could, and who had it. The first surprise was the average dyslexic has a higher IQ. Which goes with Einstein who was, as well as the likes of Jackie Stewart.

• Like 2

I totally agree with Simon's comments, I'm sure there was no malice intended and the remark was completely tongue in cheek. I must admit, I thought it was quite witty. ;) I certainly hope you don't give up on your thread, like so many, I look forward to reading your updates. So much so that it encouraged me to start my own thread.

Enough said, getting back on topic, the little pug looks superb and I can see why you were persuaded to part with some hard earned cash. Although how does this fit in with the LNWR? :dontknow:

• Like 2

When I was going out with my then girl friend (now my wife for the past 32 years) and before we where even engaged, she wrote me a very sweet newsy letter. I thought it would be an incredibly clever thing to do to mark it with a red pen like some self-appointed teacher and point out all her spelling and grammar mistakes and send it back to her. I now look back and of course realise what a totally insensitive, childish and boorish thing this was. I suppose my point is that over the years I've remembered that little episode frequently and not without some embarrassment and shame. It has often kept me from sticking my corrective oar in where it's not really wanted. Thankfully she still married me...!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tricky said:

When I was going out with my then girl friend (now my wife for the past 32 years) and before we where even engaged, she wrote me a very sweet newsy letter. I thought it would be an incredibly clever thing to do to mark it with a red pen like some self-appointed teacher and point out all her spelling and grammar mistakes and send it back to her. I now look back and of course realise what a totally insensitive, childish and boorish thing this was. I suppose my point is that over the years I've remembered that little episode frequently and not without some embarrassment and shame. It has often kept me from sticking my corrective oar in where it's not really wanted. Thankfully she still married me...!

My first serious billet-doux was answered (not returned) with spelling corrections. I still proposed (verbally...); she accepted. 

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I think it is time to get back to the models.

i am pleased with my purchase at Telford which will be converted to S7 when I next see Colin Dowling. I will ask him to replace the crank pins while he has it apart. That is the only part I do not like about the model, they are over scale. 

ScottW, the L&Y and LNWR meet in lots of places so it is not unreasonable to see them together. 

Rule No 1 will apply anyway.

When I was at Telford I also ordered some laser cut track bases and bought an assortment of track chairs from C&L. I made a Scaleseven point about 10 years ago on a paper template that has been in my workshop to test rolling stock. But being on paper only it did not stand up well over the years with rough handling, so I am hoping these laser bases will be better when I get around to the baseboards.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Agree 1

Where is the jealous button when you need one.

I managed to pick up a slightly battered Dapol "Fenchurch", at a knock down price, for my FS layout. Didn't get any where near the bring and buy until late on Sunday. Once the FS layout gets to the end of its used all my terriers will be sent for conversion as I have a plan for building Southsea in S7.

Marc 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, airnimal said:

the L&Y and LNWR meet in lots of places so it is not unreasonable to see them together

So much so that they merged ahead of the Grouping...

Those two locos look very fine together.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Wagonman, the loco is a brass model made by San Cheng and sold by Tower models. I believe it was painted by Warren Heywood for Tower models. 

I do try build most things myself but I do not enjoy building locos. At the price I paid for this engine I would struggle to buy a kit and have it painted to this standard for the same amount.

I have been building / rebuilding my chopper tank and it is still not finished after nearly 20 years. It makes sense if I am ever going to finish a layout within the next ten years.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, airnimal said:

Wagonman, the loco is a brass model made by San Cheng and sold by Tower models. I believe it was painted by Warren Heywood for Tower models. 

I do try build most things myself but I do not enjoy building locos. At the price I paid for this engine I would struggle to buy a kit and have it painted to this standard for the same amount.

I have been building / rebuilding my chopper tank and it is still not finished after nearly 20 years. It makes sense if I am ever going to finish a layout within the next ten years.

Your Chopper tank is a real beauty but I take your point about the passage of time. I have been forced to drastically narrow my own horizons on that score and to reach for the chequebook...

Good luck!

On ‎30‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 11:27, airnimal said:

Yesterday the postman brought me a new book from the LNWR society. And what a fabulous book it is. 

For any one wishing to model the Victorian era and the LNWR in particular it is a must. 

The book is about a railway worker from a long forgotten time working very long hours at a time when the health and safety brigade were not invented.

The book is illustrated with large format photographs that are clear and well printed. I have seen a lot of them before but not all together in one place and there some new to me. A couple of an accident at Leek  Wooton near Kenilworth are magnificent with some early wagons in great distress.

I have not been in the workshop while all the family visit but I have secured a pass out to Telford for the GOG meet providing I am back home early on Sunday for a large family gathering. 

For those who may be interested, I have posted the contact details for non-society members to obtain copies of Thomas Baron over in the books section at the link below

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/18-books/

David

P.s. I very much enjoy reading your thread and admiring the models that you create.

• RMweb Premium

I am back home after spending 10 days helping our eldest daughter with decorating while her husband was in China. 

I have made start on a pattern of a L&Y Dia 15 fruit wagon. This is for  resin kit for Lanky Kits.

I hope to complete this over the next couple of weeks so I can hand over at the Wigan show.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4