S7 scratch building

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

Probably "started out black" ironwork on the inside? I do like these 4-plank dumb buffered wagons. Now the Midland liked them so much they bought up 66,000 of them... The collieries went straight out and spent the money on nice new sprung buffered RCH 1887 specification wagons!

Didn’t they buy them up to get rid of them sooner, by effectively providing money for new replacements at the collieries, and then writing them off as old stock?

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Regularity said:

Didn’t they buy them up to get rid of them sooner, by effectively providing money for new replacements at the collieries, and then writing them off as old stock?

Pretty much. For each old dumb buffered wagon, the Midland paid twice - one shiny new sprung buffered PO wagon for the colliery, one new D299 for themselves. It must have given the wagon building firms a boost in adopting the new specification. T.G. Clayton had been much involved in the RCH committee drawing up the 1887 specification - I think he may have chaired it. As the largest mineral line in the country*, the Midland had the greatest incentive to change the PO regime - inspection and registration were as important parts of the RCH agreement as the specification. It was obviously felt to be money well spent to avoid a repeat of the Penistone accident of 1885, caused by the breakage of a PO wagon axle.

*With the possible exception of the North Eastern, where for the most part PO wagons were unknown.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to all the people who have made contributions to this thread. It all helps with our understanding of the subject and my knowledge of trying to build better models.

i have painted the corner plates the first coat of black paint. It will need another coat before I attempt to tone the wagon down with powders and other means. The photographer I am working from appears to show only the corner plates painted black with the other ironwork painted the same as the body colour.

I keep looking at the wagons I have built over the last two years and realise that I do not have any L.N.W.R two plank fixed sides or drop side wagons. These were built in large numbers and anybody modelling L.N.W.R. based layout should have a good number of the wagons to have a balanced stud. 

I also don't have and wagons from most of the other pre-grouping companies bar a couple of L&Y ones. 

I keep drawing track plans for a small layout and laying track templates on the floor to see how much room I have for this project, but before I get to far and build / buy baseboards we are taking about moving house.

My better half wants to move closer to our youngest daughter to help her with her two small boys when she goes back to work in a couple of months time. I would also like to move because we have been here for 35 years and I think a change would do us both good and help us to get rid of a lot of the junk we have accumulated.

Trying to find a house that is suitable for both our needs is not very easy at a price we can afford and my idear of a large workshop with a small house attached didn't go down well.

image.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, airnimal said:

I keep looking at the wagons I have built over the last two years and realise that I do not have any L.N.W.R two plank fixed sides or drop side wagons. These were built in large numbers and anybody modelling L.N.W.R. based layout should have a good number of the wagons to have a balanced stud. 

I'm sure that with your work rate, Earlstown's record of 1 hour 41 minutes is under threat! Of course they started from a kit of parts, so you're allowed extra time for cutting out headstocks, solebars, etc.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

Mike, don't beat yourself up about the lack of other companies' wagons – prior to the various common user agreements cobbled together during the war,  any 'foreign' wagons straying onto your system had to be sent back pronto. Definitely need more D2s though...  :-) 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
56 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I'm sure that with your work rate, Earlstown's record of 1 hour 41 minutes is under threat! Of course they started from a kit of parts, so you're allowed extra time for cutting out headstocks, solebars, etc.

Yanks built a ship in not much longer...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Robert_E._Peary

2 hours ago, airnimal said:

I hope I haven't ruined this wagon with my poor weathing. I think it looks better with the corner plates as they are rather than being bright black.

You certainly haven't ruined it - far from it!  'Black' ironwork always looks better as a very dark grey.

Jim

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Not a lot happening  today because we have our two year old grandson on Wednesday as well having our house valued. 

I have put the diamonds on this early Dia 1 and painted the buffer heads. 

I did order numberplates for all my wagons along with letters for the ballast wagons from Narrowplanet.

i heard great things for this company but after waiting nearly a year they said they were to busy to process my order. 

I still have to paint the axleboxes and springs and all the other letters and numbers. 

I still have to find a source of numbers for the ends of all the L.N.W.R. wagons.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Marc, I can't help with H.M.R.S transfers. I have enough for myself but I don't have any spare. 

What I can do is let you borrow these templates if that is of any help. I have used them in the past before I acquired my stock of transfers.

The idear is to draw a line with a fine Rotring pen to do the outline before filling in with a fine brush. 

You would have to supply your own pen but it may be one solution to your problem.

image.jpeg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Marc, yes the book is good but if your not a pure L.N.W.R. fan why not borrow the book from your local library.

First brief outline for the letters on the next private owner wagon. There are tranfers available from Powsides, and if I don't make a good job with my hand lettering I could always go down this route.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium

One-side only brake with lever at the LH end - that's an oddity but it's there in the photo.

I'm going to make myself deeply unpopular here but have you thought through what happens when the brake lever is lowered? Apologies, but seeing your striving for perfection drives one to look ever more closely at the details.

That is a wonderful wagon - three 12 inch planks where in later days there would be five 7-and-a-bit inch planks. I looked up the POWSides transfers - they're quite a different style (Astley & Tyldesley, laid out for an RCH 1923 7-plank wagon) so I think it would be as much faff altering them to fit as doing the hand-lettering!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1