S7 scratch building

• RMweb Premium

A small amount of progress with the end stanchions glued on with Limonene. I find if I use Mek-pak on these it tends to bow the ends of the wagon in. I also use a block of wood to hold the ends while the glue is drying. 

The photo I am working from does not show the brake gear so I am going to make a quess at other wagons from the same area / company. 

image.jpeg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

This is one of those wagon with the nuts on the insides and rivets on the outside. Also one side door has a odd clasps on the door opening presumably through repairs. I have started to drill the holes for the rivets but found out I have only got a few rivets left of the size I require. A quick order to Historex has been done this morning for more. I have always had good service from them so with luck they will not be to long.

image.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

I ordered some parts yesterday from Historex on the net and they arrived this morning. Magnificent service from this company. 

So I was able to continue with the detail adding more rivets. They really are coach bolts so I should call them that but they are described as rivets. On the photo of the wagon there is a mixture on the corner plates of bolts on the inside and outside where I presume the wagon has been repaired at some time. 

I drill the holes with an 18 thou drill but because these coach bolts ( rivets ) are slightly tapered so i use a fine broach to just take out the last couple of thou's which makes it easy to push them in tight without breaking them because they are quite soft. You can see I have still to put a few in on the left hand side. After I have put the coach bolts through the body I cut them off flush and then add square nuts. It is a lot of faffing about but I can't think of any other way. Also I have added a diamond plate that was fitted to wagons after they were converted from dumb buffers. There is a lot of work in building wagons like this and at times I wonder if I would be better to go R.T.R and buy things of the self. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by airnimal
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium

Sir Douglas,  I make my own crown plates by using a simple paper punch to punch a hole in some coloured plastkard. I then use a small home made jig turned from hard plastic obtained when I was last working, placed in the hole and cut around to make plastic washers. I clean them up and thin them to about 10 thou thickness with files / wet and dry paper before cutting them in half. To cut them so they are both even,  I place the washers on a small cutting mat which has a square grid on it which makes it easy to see where to cut.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 11

• RMweb Premium

Fame at last ! Does this mean that I have made it as a railway modeller ?

The inside shows the coach bolts coming through before they are cut back and replaced with other strapping and square nuts. You can also see the wrong way round of the strapping that most wagons have. There is is still a fair bit to do.

image.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium

I haven't finished the Buxton Lime Firms wagon but when the postman called today and he brought me a very fine set of etchings. When Narrow Planet couldn't / wouldn't except my commission for a selection of plates for a large number of wagons, Chris Brown very kindly offered to put them on a sheet he was doing with Graham ( Dog Star ). 

So with the weather been bright and sunny I took the opportunity to paint one of the wagons outside and take it inside and dry with the hair dryer. With any luck I will be able to put it all together tomorrow and fix the plates.

The Haydock Collieries plates are excellent with an unusual font which will make the wagon stand out. I hope my efforts will do the plates justice. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

Seriously liking the ballast wagon plates but why so many of the divisional plates per wagon? On my reading of LNWR Liveries, p. 139, there was one at one end only. I take it HD is the pre-1889 Holyhead District? I made some of these plates in 4 mm scale, but only printed on photographic paper, not exquisitely etched!

@Compound2632,

Why so many ED ballast plates - Designer error - I got carried away laying out the etch... there are two versions however deliberately for Mike to choose between, one taken from the info provided by Mike, but the second one as a result of a photo I found online which suggested the numerals were larger than the letters on the bottom line, I have no idea if both are correct and one is early and one later, so provided both for Mike to choose.

image.png.b0fd19e2ad815c18f057e63b982b42e5.png

Regards,

Chris

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I was going to own up and say I don't know why I have so many ballast wagon plates but Chris has come along to my rescue. I was going to put it down old age and forgetfulness. I am just grateful Chris offered to draw these plates for me and a wonderful job he has made of them.

I am not sure if a will be able to finish this wagon in time for the Bristol exhibition on Sunday. We have grandchildren tomorrow, that just leaves Thursday because I will be travelling to Swindon on Friday to stay with my eldest daughter for the weekend.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I have had a stroke of luck this morning. My better half has taken our grandchildren out to visit a ex work college so leaving me to do a bit of modelling. So I have assembled the wheels and brake gear and given the interior a coat  of paint. I still have the axleboxes and springs to paint and fit.

I now have to cut out the etch plates and paint them to look like cast iron. I am not sure how I am going to achieve that. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, airnimal said:

I now have to cut out the etch plates and paint them to look like cast iron. I am not sure how I am going to achieve that.

Dark grey and gunmetal (or just the latter)?

Not sure if you would want to use the metallic version, though.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Regularity, I think I will try to blacken them first and then try to paint them with the gun metal as you suggest.

I have cut them out very carefully holding them in a small vice brought from Eileen's to file the edge of the plate smooth.

I have placed them on the wagon to get a feel of what it will be like when finished.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

5 hours ago, airnimal said:

I have had a stroke of luck this morning. My better half has taken our grandchildren out to visit a ex work college so leaving me to do a bit of modelling. So I have assembled the wheels and brake gear and given the interior a coat  of paint. I still have the axleboxes and springs to paint and fit.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Very nice Mike, as always...With the cast iron plates I guess they would have been painted in real life? So black on white...?

11 hours ago, airnimal said:

On my Jubilee Pug build I've blackened the n/s coupling rods with Beechwood Casey Aluminium black and then rubbed some of it off.  the results can be seen here 

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
Added link

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Regularity said:

Cast iron isn't black.

7 hours ago, Nickey Line said:

But paint can be...:)

5 hours ago, Tricky said:

Quite.

The question was about painting something to look like cast iron “I now have to cut out the etch plates and paint them to look like cast iron. I am not sure how I am going to achieve that. ”

I really can’t see anyone, let alone a modeller of Mike’s talent, asking a question about what colour paint to use to make something look like it has been painted black.

Edited by Regularity
Toned it down. Slightly.

• RMweb Premium

I have to say that I didn't think the original question was how to paint the plates to look like cast iron but rather what colours the real cast iron plates would have been painted. But I don't want to attract any opprobrium.....

Dave

• Like 2