S7 scratch building

• RMweb Premium

A couple of shots of the method finally adopted to make the spring hangers. I length of 40 X 125 thou evergreen strip was drilled and filed to shape ( poorly ) before glueing over the end of the spring. Then a couple of pieces of 40 X 40 evergreen was cut to fit either side at the bottom after rounding of one edge before glueing them in place. A couple of disc's of black was punched out and stuck on. Simple in the end but I went round the house's to get here.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, airnimal said:

I still have to resolve the issue with the buffers because they are not sprung. I have racked my brains on how to retro fit springs without success because of my lack of forward planning. I might not even spring them and just glue them up solid.

I wonder if it would be possible to make up springs of a suitable length, just under the diameter of the inside of the buffer housing, then securely glue them on the backs of the buffer heads, lastly gluing the other end to the rear face of the housing.

That's probably completely unfeasible so feel free to ignore me!

• RMweb Premium

Nickey Line,  all suggestions are welcome, more the merrier.

I have used the Peco parallel G.W.R buffers with the lip turned off but I can't use there method of springing on this build because of the open frame nature of this wagon. 

I have been playing around with a collar over a standard turned buffer from some I had in stock so I can use a 12 BA nut located inside the bufferbeam. 

I have already shortened the Peco buffer body so that it doesn't protrude beyond the bufferbeam so if I do the same on the turned buffer heads I might have the answer my spring problem.

I won't be able to anything now untill Monday at the earliest because family matters are pencilled in which I am looking forward to.

image.jpeg

• Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I have lost my mojo of late like a lot of other people probably not helped by the continuing virus. 

I finally finished this wagon but cannot decide about a load. My friend Peter made me a large casting and I have made a large wheel and shaft from bits in the scrap box. Both would require blocks and chains to secure with the wheel probably needing a cradle as well but do either look suitable for a wagon load ? 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

The wagon was obviously designed for a load that was out of gauge if on a normal trolley wagon, so I would suggest something high, like the wheel, would be more appropriate - mounted in a timber cradle.  Or how about a ship's propeller?

Jim

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The Midland had some wheel wagons - one to D315 and two to D316 - also referred to as pulley wagons. Indeed, the one photo in  Midland Wagons of one loaded shows what looks very like the pulley wheel for a mineshaft headgear.

There are a couple of photos in Midland Wagons of these D310 18 ton trolleys loaded. One load is a tubular fabrication from the Sheepbridge Co. - corrugated, possibly threaded, on the outside - which looks to be about 12 ft in diameter, so well out of gauge, 17 March 1921:

image.png.e5b4ed89ece16a991ddff680d58c43c9.png

NRM DY 11846, released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0) licence by the National Railway Museum.

The other load is a tender for a NCC locomotive. If one was to model that, one would probably have to build a D309 30 ton trolley together with the locomotive, along with several wagons to carry the wheels, chimney, dome casing, cab, etc.:

image.png.2219e497661bcda33a7512d17278b0e6.png

Derby, 13 July 1914. NRM DY 10248,  released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0) licence by the National Railway Museum.

Edited by Compound2632
Added photo of out-of-gauge cylinder load.
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, Compound2632 said:

There are a couple of photos in Midland Wagons of these D310 18 ton trolleys loaded. One load is a tubular fabrication from the Sheepbridge Co. - corrugated, possibly threaded, on the outside - which looks to be about 12 ft in diameter, so well out of gauge, 17 March 1921:

That looks like the winding drum for a colliery pit-head winding engine.  the grooves would be spiral to guide the winding rope.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRNRgcplAyNwhflAyiM97R

Jim

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I have made up some timber supports similar to photos in Great Western wagon loads. I still need some angle iron brackets either side of the shaft along with nuts and bolts before painting everything. I have plenty of chains and shackles in stock.

image.jpeg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

I have put some brackets on along with the angle iron plates that restrict the movement of the wheel.

I think the MasterClub bolts really look the part in this application. I still have to make up the hooks on the ends of the other chains and paint the wood parts. I think it was the right move to model the wheel rather than the casting. 

image.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Malcolm 0-6-0, the answer is yes I have been making a tie down from bits of bullhead rail bolted top and bottom with a brass rod between the two. Once all the chains are on I think that will be sufficient because I don't think this load will be traveling at high speed. 

image.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 1