S7 scratch building

• RMweb Premium

Wagonman, thank you for the information regarding Alan Gibson wheels. I will investigate and report back.

I have noticed when I explain the way I do certain parts of any build they seem to get better response than just showing the end results. So a simple explanation on doing the parts behind the headstocks follows. 

7mm nickel wire is turned down with a mini file in the mini drill and then bend with pliers at one end.The floor is marked and a couple of holes are drilled before the wire is placed in the hole in the headstock and turned to sit over the holes in the floor before touching it with the soldering iron and melting the wire into the floor. Any burr is trimmed with the scalpel.

The bracket is cut from Evergreen U channel and the large bolt is from Scale Hardware in the States. I ordered the wrong size so these went into stock. They are to large for most things 7mm scale but they have come in useful in this case.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

7 hours ago, airnimal said:

I have noticed when I explain the way I do certain parts of any build they seem to get better response than just showing the end results. So a simple explanation on doing the parts behind the headstocks follows.

Exactly why you get so many responses and such a high view count.  The story and the details are what makes this topic so compulsive.

regards, Graham

• Agree 12
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I have put a couple of plates on the ramps at one end to see if they look right. I have made them from 10 thou plastikard which I think is about scale. I have found some large buffer heads in the spares box which will require collars turning up to bulk out the stems. The original buffers heads were 1'4" which will go some way to compensate for the centre line of the buffers being 3" lower than normal. These buffer heads measure 1'6" so will require turning down a couple of scale inches. 

I have been been in touch with Alan Gibson regarding S7 wagon wheels. I have ordered 4 sets but the gentleman didn't know if they had any in stock. If they haven't got them he doesn't see them being produced any time soon. So hopefully they have some stored away somewhere. 

image.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Very little to report because I'm waiting for the wheels from Alan Gibson. I believe they are very busy and if they are not in stock I might not get them for a long time. 

So so this small well wagon is stalled for the time being. I have put the detail on the solebars but little else. 

Grandad duties have taken up the slack time available as well as a couple of bike rides.

To keep my hand in on the model front I have been going over old builds and trimming the heavy webs on Slaters wagon wheels. I have posted on this before but it is taking awhile to go through all the wagons that I have built over the last 4 years. I do think the effort is worth it in the long run for the visual aspect on old wagons is particularly noticeable.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, airnimal said:

Very little to report because I'm waiting for the wheels from Alan Gibson. I believe they are very busy and if they are not in stock I might not get them for a long time. 

My impression is that Colin Seymore has his work cut out keeping up with demand now that Aland Gibson wheels are standard issue with Parkside kits. I imagine changing over to produce a different wheel type takes time that eats into the production schedule so is unlikely to happen unless there's considerable pent-up demand for the item. I'd run out of 4 mm scale split-spoke wheels and was unable to get any through Eileen's Emporium but Colin was prepared to sell me some but I think only because I was willing to buy 40 axles (makes the handling for postage cost effective) and he was doing a run of over 1,000 axles for another, presumably trade, customer.

He is a two-person-band with him doing production and his other half dealing with shipping and paperwork. They're in the classic cottage industry bind of too much demand but not the resources - or desire - to expand by taking on and training additional staff. Or so it seems to me - I have no inside information, only the odd conversation with him at shows.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Nothing to report on the wagon front but I have not been idle ( well I have a bit ).

Looking around with thoughts on building a layout I have always been attracted to Holywell Town in North Wales. It is such a compact station that would fit in the space I have at present without a fiddle yard although we are still hoping to move house so I am not sure how much space I will have when we finally get to relocate.

So I have been making a mock up in cardboard of the baseboards. I estimate I can build the station site on 4 boards 4' X 3' with a bit of a squeeze in the middle. 

I am glad I have made a mock up because I got the board with the platform wrong which would have been unfortunate had I bought the wood and cut it to shape. I am not sure if this is a runner or not but I will talk with my good friend Peter who has all the woodworking kit. One step at a time but if I don't get a move on soon I will end end up with just a glass case full of wagons.

16021895253601161584228.jpg

• Like 12

Nice choice of prototype. Interesting operating and very compact. I have looked at it on and off for many a year. And then gone off and built something industrial.

You will need some coal tanks and some 3 wheel coaches.

Look forward to seeing it.

Marc

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Furness Wagon said:

Nice choice of prototype. Interesting operating and very compact. I have looked at it on and off for many a year. And then gone off and built something industrial.

You will need some coal tanks and some 3 wheel coaches.

Look forward to seeing it.

Marc

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

It's not that compact!

Joking aside, wasn’t it operated by motor trains, always at the lower end of the train, chimney to the coaches to stop the firebox from being uncovered?

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Regularity said:

Joking aside, wasn’t it operated by motor trains, always at the lower end of the train, chimney to the coaches to stop the firebox from being uncovered?

With a couple of rather interesting 42ft carriages, one at least converted from a sleeping car of 1880s vintage. Mike has the latest issue of the L&NWR Society Journal open there - an interesting article on Holywell Town with a couple of good photos of the carriages but unfortunately written by someone with apparently little interest in them, which is a shame since as far as I'm concerned they're the most interesting thing about the line! I did have some exchange with Sandy @Penlan about these vehicles a while ago, when a photo was posted on the L&NWR Society's Facebook page (I think) but I can't track it down or remember the exact identification.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for all the information regarding Holywell Town. I was aware of the 2mm fine scale layout because I have seen it at the 2mm meeting at Chelford and I know the builder who also models in S7. 

I already have  coal tank as well as a 42' coach that will do for the passenger side of things although it is not push and pull fitted. I have tried taking photos of both with this Amazon I pad but the camera's not as good as on the I pad mini from Apple. Unfortunately I have do my usual trick of pressing something on the Apple device that has prevented me from posting on any page on RM web. The reply part at the bottom of any page looks like this photo. With being technical backwards I cannot get it back as it was previously. I may have done something on my profile page while I tried to fix the problem because the colour of the letter A has gone from green to purple. Not sure if that has any bearing on the the problem but not being a whiz kid doesn't help. Anybody know what I have done wrong ?

IMG_20201009_1210212_rewind.jpg

I had a layout of Holywell Town, originally started by the late John Horton in EM (John was also involved with Bob Essery's Dewsbury).  It was exhibited almost complete at an EMGS Exhibition, probably in the late 1980's.
The valley leading up to Holywell Town has some interesting early industrial history.
I visited Holywell a number of times in the 1980's taking photo's, walking the line remnants etc.,  when my youngest son was involved in School inter-County Badminton tournaments..  'Holywell' had one of the main competition Halls - we were from Worcester, a long day out.
My extensive collection of information (Plans, photo's texts etc.,) was passed on to the 'Welsh Railways Research Circle', and the photo's, where applicable, returned to my long time friend Roger Carpenter.
The two coaches regularly used were the ex.D77 Picnic Saloons and they worked on the branch till circa 1935.  I passed a couple of Trevor Charlton sets of Etched zinc sides/ends for these coaches recently to a member of the LNWRSoc.,
The 'main' line and loop as you know were built on a gradient. To prevent any of my stock 'parked' on the loop running away, I had a small rod that pocked up through the track to hold an axle.
I still have the model of the weighbridge office and a couple of 'made-up livery' hand painted PO's on my current (and last) layout, Penlan.  'Llewllyn Jones' were local Coal Merchants in Holywell, though I doubt they had any PO's.  There's a different livery, though same Merchants, on the other side of that wagon :rolleyes:
'Bettall' and 'Deggwood' are combined parts of names of layout owners, PO's for fun.

223663710_3POs.jpg.9e48bd58e277c171f394d35266976311.jpg

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
37 minutes ago, airnimal said:

I haven't posted for some time because my old Apple I-pad will not allow replies to any posts on RM web. So much for progress. So I am using another tablet which has an inferior camera.

I don't supposed people have missed my poor grammar or bad spellings but I have not been idle in these dark times. But at least we have our hobby to keep us sane when we can't go anywhere.

I was beginning to become concerned for your welfare Mike, but great to see you back with another superb piece of modelling to put the rest of us to shame! :(

As to your spelling and grammar, as @Andy Hayter says, they matter not a jot when your craftsmanship is of  a standard that most of can never hope to reach.  In fact it's probably no worse than mine, which isn't saying much!

Jim

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Sir Douglas, I use Transtrace  tracing paper from Frisk Products. Having a 7mm drawing made it easier with the lettering well drawn to scale.  The tracing paper has a wax coating on the back which transfers to the model leaving a White outline. Basically it's like painting by numbers. 

IMG_20201116_180857_kindlephoto-148352210.jpg

IMG_20201116_180232.jpg

Edited by airnimal
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

2 hours ago, airnimal said:

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in March but I didn't mention it because it isn't a big deal to myself.

A fellow member of our local Probus club was diagnosed with that few years ago.  Doctor told him not to worry about it because something else would get him before it did!  I haven't seen him since the last meeting in February, but he was still going strong then!

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Like 2

Good to hear from you Mike. That lettering looks superb. As others have said, no one on here will judge you for your spelling or grammar. This is a modelling forum, not the Apostrophe Police! You’re one of - if not the - best wagon builder on here. Glad you’re able to post again, it gives us all inspiration!!

• Like 2
  • Agree 7