S7 scratch building

• RMweb Premium

Even though I have hopefully got these lamp brackets right I'm still struggling to produce 6 all the same. So I decided to look at something else that needs doing. 

The springs for the running gear i had in stock from my own castings but they need modifying to add extra straps and adjusting bolts on the ends. 

The first attempt at the extra straps has been successful. This is now where I fall down trying to reproduce the other 3 the same. 

20210216_113419.jpg

20210216_120552.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium

I have decided to add the spring tension spacers and bolts to the spring castings.  Not the easiest job I've ever had and they look a bit undernourished but I don't have any of bigger Scalehardware bolts in stock.  This did test my soldering skills to the limit.  Was it worth it in the end ?

20210217_141311.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium

I have started on the handrails made from steel wire as I find it stronger than brass or nickel.  I am drilling the holes for these only halfway through the framing rather than go all the way. This prevents the handrails being pushed through when the model is handled. A couple of Masterclub bolts at both ends help them look right.

I can't quite make out how the handrails in the middle of the side of the body are fixed. The fixing at the ends are straightforward enough but in the middle the photograph is unclear. There is a bracket of some variety but how it holds the handrails may involve some guesswork. 

20210217_183022.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

Just when I thought I everything was going well ...........

Putting the long side handrails on something didn't look right. Go back to the book and study again. 

I followed the drawing with regarding the ironwork on the lower body side but this shows the ironwork reaching up to the second plank but the photograph clearly show that they only came up just over the first plank. I think the error is with mistaking the sloping part on top of the lower framing as another plank. 

I will have to remove all the lower body ironwork tomorrow and replace them with the right size. 

I think sometimes I look to hard and miss the obvious.  Better to find out now rather than when its painted.

It is only by building that things like this show up. I have marked with a pencil line where the ironwork should come up to. 

16135942072947513980938097692790.jpg

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 9

Looking at the photo of the prototype...  how do the proportions of the angles on the lower body member appear when compared with the angles on the body member which is along the top of the diagonals?  Does that assessment help you to decide on the size of the angles on the model?

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Chris, I am trying  hard. 

I have started on all the rest with the roof having a tissue paper coating by applying one ply thin tissue brushed over with Limonene.  This I will probably leave overnight to dry before turning it over and folding it back on its self. 

Here are all the rejects from the lamp brackets fiasco that nearly turned me into a stamp collector.

Even my wife is on tenderhooks when I have been building this van. I still have to paint all the rest as well as cutting glass for the windows. There is still time for me to notice I have done something wrong. 

Pessimist or optimist, glass half full ? Well I am a Gemini.  

20210220_144521.jpg

20210220_144443.jpg

20210220_144211.jpg

20210220_160858.jpg

Edited by airnimal
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I like the appearance of your roof covering - including the wrinkles which can occur with leaded canvas over time.  Looks like canvas bedded to wood with white lead so now you shall have the opportunity to "age" the look over time.

regards, Graham

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, airnimal said:

Pessimist or optimist, glass half full ? Well I am a Gemini.

Not sure what you mean: as an Aquarian, I have no time for this astrology nonsense... ;)

(Nice break van, btw...)

• Funny 1