S7 scratch building

• RMweb Premium

I have read somewhere that the GWR had a daily pickup goods service starting from Manchester and going through Stockport taking the Altrincham line and on to Market Drayton. 

I do have a Lee Marsh GWR 0-6-0st on order but I'm not sure if I really want one. I don't have a single GWR wagon in my collection and the money paid might have been better spent acquiring a NSR loco. Still I have read that the have all been accounted for before they have been delivered so I can always sell it on when it finally arrives. 

As for this horse lorry I am trying to build, my heart isn't in it. I have put the loops on that hold the shafts to the front of the vehicle but I think that's as far as I am going.  I will put it away for another day.

20210403_163457.jpg

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 7

5 hours ago, airnimal said:

I have read somewhere that the GWR had a daily pickup goods service starting from Manchester and going through Stockport taking the Altrincham line and on to Market Drayton. 

I do have a Lee Marsh GWR 0-6-0st on order but I'm not sure if I really want one. I don't have a single GWR wagon in my collection and the money paid might have been better spent acquiring a NSR loco. Still I have read that the have all been accounted for before they have been delivered so I can always sell it on when it finally arrives. 

As for this horse lorry I am trying to build, my heart isn't in it. I have put the loops on that hold the shafts to the front of the vehicle but I think that's as far as I am going.  I will put it away for another day.

20210403_163457.jpg

Shame it’s not floating your boat, it looks like another cracking build.

never mind, if your heart’s not in it, there’s no point, it’s a hobby after all!

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

I need to do something to save myself from going daft until the lockdown is relaxed so I will try and finish some of my half completed wagons. This cattle wagon needs brakegear making from scratch because I have run out of castings that Adrian Swain let me have years ago. I never thought I would use them all but it was 2004 when he gave them to me. 

So I have cut out the brake block from an old brass washer that was the right thickness.  The brake hanger was made from a length of square brass tube.

20210404_114203.jpg

20210404_114100.jpg

20210404_114135.jpg

• Like 13
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

Guy, I don't have written evidence of the size ( I am not an historian ) but scaling from the drawings  this works out at 3" 1/4"  The castings I have used in the past from Adrian all work out to this size or as close as possible and I have used brass tube which is slightly smaller than that. Steel brake shoe hangers are tapered and are thicker. 

20210404_121418.jpg

20210404_130844.jpg

20210404_130935.jpg

20210404_131048.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

I have fitted an Ambis brake rack with a brake handle cut from nickel. This is the last my own axleboxes and I still have 5 more wagons needing them. I am starting to struggle for fittings now. I will have to spend a bit of brass and stock up. I know lots of people buy stuff online but although I do have occasional buy parts this way I do prefer to buy parts at exhibitions. I will hope to paint this cattle wagon tomorrow. 

20210404_183440.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, airnimal said:

I know lots of people buy stuff online but although I do have occasional buy parts this way I do prefer to buy parts at exhibitions.

If you're not comfortable buying online, there's always the phone... or snail mail!

At least you'd be able to re-stock?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, airnimal said:

I have fitted an Ambis brake rack with a brake handle cut from nickel. This is the last my own axleboxes and I still have 5 more wagons needing them. I am starting to struggle for fittings now. I will have to spend a bit of brass and stock up. I know lots of people buy stuff online but although I do have occasional buy parts this way I do prefer to buy parts at exhibitions. I will hope to paint this cattle wagon tomorrow. 

20210404_183440.jpg

Is this the same cattle wagon that made an ‘appearance’ on Midland in Bristol?!

• RMweb Premium

Richard, the answer to you question is no it is a different one. I have built 3 now with this latest one. 

I would like to build a few more open topped ones and make a small cattle train. In the NSR wagon book there is a photograph of Uttoxeter goods yard in approx 1912 which has such a wagon still in existence and with the large lettering on the side. But I have run out of etched bars and other parts to make any more. I find these early cattle wagons attractive and there is not likely to be many or any kit manufacturers bringing out models of them. 

I have seen it written somewhere that open topped cattle wagons were to be outlawed quite early but they obviously hung on for sometimes after the cut off date.

20210405_084112.jpg

20210405_083859.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

With the sun shining I managed to get the rattle cans out and put some paint on the cattle wagon.

I made a little jig to hold the axleboxes while I spray them. 

Thinking about the roofless cattle wagons being outlawed early on I suppose that they could be used for barrels of beer. That may explain why we have photographs of them as late as 1912.

20210405_144108.jpg

20210405_144130.jpg

20210405_144154.jpg

• Like 15

Whilst I thoroughly enjoy your craftsmanship I am not going to comment until it is finished and you're happy with it ! :D

• Funny 4

On 03/04/2021 at 16:53, airnimal said:

I've had a look in a couple of LNWR working timetables for GWR goods trains going through Stockport. There are a few, but they were not stopping trains although there were limited stops at important traffic hubs. In general the trains arrive in the early hours and leave in the evenings

In the July 1888 WTT there were three GW express goods which came from Gresty Lane and terminated at Ordsall Lane with stops at Edgeley, Longsight and then via London Rd. Arrivals were at 2.30am, 6.20am and 8.55am, and departures from Ordsall Lane were at 8.25pm, 9.30pm and 11.5pm (all Mondays excepted).

In the October 1909 WTT, the arrivals were at 2.30am, 5.24am and 7.10 am. The 2.30 arrival would be routed by the Styal line if the special express goods from Gresty Lane to Leeds was running. (Although the special express goods is noted as starting from the GW yard at Crewe, it is not labelled in the timetable as a GW train.) The only departure listed was at 9.0pm (Saturdays excepted). On Saturdays the departure was still at 9pm, but it would pick up at Longsight and Heaton Norris if required. 

There is no indication of what happens to any of these trains on the other side of Gresty Lane.

This is all more information than is needed to help build models, but it all adds to the overall picture!

Tim Birch.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I said I didn't have any numberplates for this cattle wagon well ......

When looking at the photograph in LNWR wagons Vol 1 at this wagons to see how much lime wash was on the body I went through all the information and numbers that have been recorded and the first on the list was 934. That rang a bell in the old grey matter, so I went looking through my bits box. Sure enough I had just such a pair of that number. Also there is a tare weight listed so both these were fitted along with screw couplings. I have also painted the roof the same colour as the body.

Tomorrow I hope to paint  the roof a darker  colour and give it a good coating of lime wash providing the weather is kind and a bit warmer. Then it will be finished. 

20210406_203051.jpg

20210406_203032.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, airnimal said:

I said I didn't have any numberplates for this cattle wagon well ......

When looking at the photograph in LNWR wagons Vol 1 at this wagons to see how much lime wash was on the body I went through all the information and numbers that have been recorded and the first on the list was 934. That rang a bell in the old grey matter, so I went looking through my bits box. Sure enough I had just such a pair of that number.

Just goes to show that there has been a plan all along, even if you weren't aware of it.

On the brake block mounting, I felt sure from a mechanical point of view that there must have been iron pieces on both sides of the block but no, a look through LNWR Wagons Vol. 1 has convinced me there was only the one, on the outside face. Crude but presumably just sufficiently effective! The other day someone asked why there's more wood on the side of the bracket away from the wheel than on the wheel side - was it Bill @billbedford or Simon @Regularity? (It's the sort of awkward question either of them would ask.) Puzzles me but then I'm just a simple-minded Midland enthusiast.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, billbedford said:

Just when I get something sewn up and done someone will come along and say it wasn't so...

I think I want to see more evidence of you startling brake block discovery. 

I was startled too. The wooden brake block photos are in LNWR Wagons Vol. 1, in the D1 and D2 sections. Almost all are broadside on, so don't help. There's one, p. 58, taken from the non-brake side but the rear of the brake block is too much in shadow to draw any conclusion. So my case rests on the photo of 24945 on p. 59, which is taken at a bit of an angle - just sufficient, I think, to see that the bracket is on the outside only. Also the photo of D32 54895 on p. 10 of Vol. 2.  The Earlestown drawing of the D2 on pp. 64-65 is no help as there's no plan view of the brake gear. 

A representation of this in 4 mm scale would need etched brass for the bracket. I've been perfectly content with your printed version; my own plasticard attempts are cruder, resorting to a transverse support at the back. I can't quite se what Mike has done here and need to go back through the thread to look at his previous models.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

I am happy that the brake block is correct as modelled. I have copied the castings that came from Adrian Swain and would have used one if I had any left. I am aware that one should not make models of other models but most people would say Adrian was a stickler when it came to being accurate about details. One of the photographs is from the rear of  a brake shoe that came from ABS.

I have painted the roof a darker grey but as yet I haven't done the lime wash. 

If fact I have been to my youngest daughter school where she is a teacher. Some of the equipment has been damaged and was being thrown away that just needed some small repairs costing very little in monetary terms but just a bit of attention.  

20210407_132142.jpg

20210407_135343.jpg

20210407_141420.jpg

20210407_141503.jpg

16178014144538430101194166322624.jpg

Edited by airnimal
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Pages 82 and 84 of Mike Willaims' book on CR wagons have GA drawings of 7T mineral 'bogies' which show the brake blocks as hidden lines on the plan views.  Both confirm that the strap was only on the outside of the block in the way Mike has modelled it.

Jim

• Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2