S7 scratch building

I'd second that - I was diagnosed young (still late 40s) with an agressive form, but one that was caught early. Had the prostatectomy and precautionary radio. Its not all been plain sailing but I'm pretty much back to 'normal' now - whatever that is!

Stick with it and stay positive.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

I have made the replacement brake gear for the one I broke with my  clumsy handling. 

I haven't drilled all the holes in yet because I want to try on the wagon for size.

20210514_103001.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Well I have had quite a morning because a friend of my wife has been researching my family tree. 

Some bits I did know about but other parts have come as a surprise. I have relations both in Australia and America but the ones of most interest are some Railway employees and Publicans. I did know about all the farmers on my mother's side who were fairly well off having 3 servant's and employing 27 men on his land. My wife wants to know where all the money went. 

Beer and railways ! We had several family members run pubs in Derby as well as a couple of fitters, a guardsman and a engine driver at Derby. Did they work for the Midland Railway?  Will Dave Hunt be on my tail now.

Anyway the brake gear on this wagon fits just fine allowing me to see where I need to drill all the holes. 

20210514_131645.jpg

Edited by airnimal
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

3 hours ago, airnimal said:

My wife wants to know where all the money went. 

When asked the same question, didn't George Best say something like 'some of it I spent on drink and women, and the rest I wasted'.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

I have managed to drill the holes in the brake gear, so we are on the home straight now. I have broken one of the brackets that hold the wagon sheet again. I cut them from Evergreen L section plastic but they don't appear to have much strength.  I may have to replace them with brass because this is the third time I have broken them.

As for the family tree it gets more interesting the more I read through it. My wife friend brought me two complete folders with so much information which I will have to make duplicated copies for the rest of the clan. She brought a folder for each side of both my mothers side and my fathers side.

Another relative on my fathers side work as a policeman for the LNWR at Edge Hill in Liverpool in the 1840's and another a points man at the same place. So railways and beer run through the family.

I don't know if there is a separate section to deal with this subject or should I carry on here ?

20210514_185503.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Mike, I have relatives and forebears who worked for both the Midland and the LNWR, the LMS and BR(LMR) so you are on safe ground. BUT having had forebears who worked for the Midland YOU should be a member of the Midland Railway Society!

(and you'd probably walk away with the Chairman's Cup for your models).

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

(and you'd probably walk away with the Chairman's Cup for your models).

The rest of the membership will give up entering!

But, ancestors in Derby in railway employment need not necessarily have worked for the Midland - the LNWR, NSR, and I'm afraid even the GNR are all possibilities.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Graham,  I fixed the brackets thanks, not need for an etch.

Adding the tie down rings and the door chains with rings made from 31swg phosphor  bronze wire. I warp the wire around a 60 thou drill before cutting them off and soldering them together. The chain is 3 thou brass wire twisted with the ring in between. 

20210515_130228.jpg

20210515_130342.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

• RMweb Premium

The finishing line is in sight! 

Just the springs need painting and the all the weathering with the Cam Rly and the Prince of Wales feathers on the non brake side. I probably change the springs to a lighter set because these are a bit heavy. 

20210515_164531.jpg

20210515_164557.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 11

• RMweb Premium

I have found in my bits box a set of axleboxes and springs from the Metropolitan Railway that were just right. I had to cut of the axleboxes and just leave the springs but the shape and the number of leaves was perfect.  Once I get them painted and fixed on then it is the matter of trying to distress the wagon to look like the prototype photograph. 

20210516_090152.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

I am trying to ghost the Cam Rly lettering on the non brake side. Take a photograph and see where I have gone wrong because nothing shows up better than a photograph.  I will amend it to get the spacing better and alter all the other letters.

20210516_114913.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have not been making wagons for a couple of weeks because I have been doing other things. 

As well as being out on the bike I have been making a building for my good friend Peter from a kit. 

This is a G.W.R weigh bridge hut from Intentio. It came to me without instructions so I am having to guess how it should go together.  

I have come across a few small problems like the odd corner brick cut out wrong or the wrong chamfer. Nothing that a bit of filler won't put right. 

Intentio web site suggests painting with Halfords grey primer then white gloss to seal the surface. Then spaying again with Halfords red primer before doing the mortar. I don't know if all that paint will fill all the brick courses so I might just spray with the red primer. 

The weigh bridge I have sprayed with Ford graphite grey and it has turned out well.

20210531_113613.jpg

20210531_113653.jpg

20210531_113547.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

I was unsure how I painted the station building and goods shed on my friend's layout as it was over 

5 years ago when I built them for him. He is building a couple of large goods sheds himself to go at the back of his layout and he is having trouble with the mortar courses. I was a bit reluctant to paint this small hut in case I made a mess of it but he say said to me just go for it. It is amazing how quickly one forgets how to do something when you don't do things regularly. 

I have sprayed his little hut with Halfords red primer and the when it was dry I made up a thin mix of interior wall filler to a very runny consistency. I applied it all over with kitchen roll and wiped it off straight away. The jury is out on the result but I will show it to him tonight because we are going out for a pint together. There is a couple of holes in the chimney stack that I don't  know the reason they are there and the last brick course at the top is missing from my box. It  could be my friend has lost it our if it came like this when he bought it. I will try and make up some replacement  parts for it.

20210531_131742.jpg

20210531_131808.jpg

20210531_135018.jpg

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Mike,

I have used the same technique on my laser cut buildings, I found a further wipe off and then touching some bricks with different shades worked for me.  The interior filler seems to impart a “ceramic matt” texture to the bricks.

regarding the missing bits, you might drop Phil a pm on WT (I’m not sure he’s on here) - he’s a helpful chap!

atb

Simon

• Thanks 1