S7 scratch building

• RMweb Premium

Simon,  it's fine. There was only a couple of bits that were missing or wrong and I can put them right without much work. I still have the lead flashing to do around the chimney and a bit more going over the colours. I will take it tonight when I have a pint with my friend and see if he is happy so far. 

We are having a beer tonight for my birthday tomorrow when I reach the grand old age of 70. 

When I have been on my bike recently I'm struggling a bit with fitness and looking back it was only 4 years ago when I climbed the Transfargarasan Highway in Romania to a  height of 7,700 ft. And I rode the whole lot. Could I do now ?

20210531_173128.jpg

20210531_173234.jpg

20210531_173259.jpg

20210531_172406.jpg

• Like 16

Yes, many happy returns!

I’d be happy to do Transfagarasan on my bike.  photo below, snorts of derision are acceptable!  (Probably the blue one, the red one is designed for other things)

416E3983-EA21-4BAA-863E-E31819390DF6.jpeg.0ad779b3761eb800a48e320318466184.jpeg

the building looks fine, I hope your pal is pleased.

happy birthday!

Simon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Can I second what's been said above, both regarding the building and your birthday.  Being 4 years ahead of you, I'm afraid I have to report that there are often times when the spirit is willing but the body says 'Uh-oh:nono:'!    Anyway, you're only 20 by my reckoning - the first 50 were a practice run!

Jim

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It looks as if birthday wishes are in order - I add mine here and look forward to more of your inspirational work in "S7 scratch building".  

Best wishes and many happy returns of the day!  Kit PW

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

With so many best wishes make me a little embarrassed ! But many thanks for today. I hope I can keep going for some time yet. 

I have nearly finished my friend's building with just a little more work on it do. He was pleased with the result and then claimed he taught me everything to do with model making.  

20210601_120900.jpg

20210601_120913.jpg

20210601_120954.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium

Very little  to report with the weather been so kind to us all. With family here I can only do a small amount in the workshop without getting into trouble. So up early while the rest are still sleeping I managed to make enough cattle wagon grills to do one wagon. I am pleased with the consistency and even spacing which I hope will look fine when placed in a model.

20210605_141903.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

Mike,

The 50 year old etch is on the QCAD waiting to go to PPD...  I appreciate that you have a workable solution, I shall leave the part on the etch so that you and I can see the result (ie. nice to know if there is an alternative to your jig-built).

I spoke with Chris either Thursday or Friday, he thinks that the Chesterton photo removes the block to completing the nameplate (ian Pope obliged with a corresponding digital scan).

regards, Graham

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

All the family has departed leaving me with a hangover but with a lot of happy memories.  

So it's back to the workshop and the next candidate which is a NSR cattle wagon. I have managed to make a start with the basic frame  built but I don't think I will do alot more tonight. 

20210606_162343.jpg

20210606_194818.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

I have started again on the frames. I don't believe it was a good idea to try and build something square with a hangover as the result was way out of true. 

So this second attempt is a lot better with both ends cut out ready. 

It will be later before I can do any more because I am off to the Hospital for some tests.

20210607_114729.jpg

20210607_122443.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Back home safe but not without stress. Not the Hospital but my wife went with some girlfriends for lunch and took with her all my keys in the car !  I left enough time to get to the Hospital on my bike when I searched for my keys only to find they were missing. Words were muttered !

I called her and she brought them back with much cussing. I haven't peddled so fast for a such a long time.

Any way back home I've put the ends on the cattle wagon so things are looking up.

20210607_165318.jpg

20210607_165340.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8