S7 scratch building

• RMweb Premium

Building up the frames much like the original builders would have done. I think people will think this method of construction is daft rather than building the complete side and then joining it together.  

But it works for me as long as I don't forget to drill the holes for the top bars before I glue in the upright pillars. I have forgotten them in the past and had to drill the holes in the outside pillars before pushing wire through to the middle pillars and then heating the wire with a soldering iron and pushing them through.  That method is nerve wracking with the hot iron next to so much plastic.

20210607_204825.jpg

20210607_205019.jpg

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium

Last night I was looking at this wagon and something didn't look right.  I had not got the spacing right of the plank widths.  I was to far into the build to take out the offending pieces without destroying the whole side and starting again so I put an overlay on with the correct spacing.  This has reduced the depth of the framing but looking at the photographs of the real thing it dose not look wrong. 

So this morning I have started on the other side. Hopefully I will have learned the lesson from the first side and not repeat the mistakes but then again with my track record I won't bank on it !

20210609_074225.jpg

20210609_074318.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

I haven't done any more work on the NSR cattle wagon because my mojo took a leave of absence. 

I had put boxes under most of my wagons with lead weights in but just recently I had been glueing old brass pins from plugs underneath with double sided tape. After a couple fell off I decided to go back to my old method and do the job properly. 

I had run out of 12BA nuts and bolts after using 200 over the last 5 years.  The last lot I got were at an exhibition so I had to find a source by mail order. I find this stressful but in the end I got what I wanted with very good service from Item Mail Order Ltd. I went on line to enquire only for a gentleman to phone me a short time later and the items I wanted were ordered and delivered this  morning.  Under 24 hours and they were here. Excellent service. 

With the weather bright and sunny I went for a ride on my bike on Sunday and managed 60 + miles. 

I must keep it up and get back to doing this sort of mile regularly.

Other news is I'm a grandad again ! My middle daughter in Australia gave us a baby girl this morning. 

I don't know when we will get to go and she her and the others, it doesn't look likely this year.

20210615_094356.jpg

20210615_113526.jpg

20210615_113552.jpg

Edited by airnimal
  • Like 13
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

CKPR, the W-irons are my own LNWR  etchings. They are not on the open market but I have sold some to friends who have asked for them. I cut my own ones down because I don't want to solder my brake gear to the wings. Over the years I have produced a couple of wagon kits for myself and a few close friends with the excess been sold by word of mouth.  I have made patterns for resins kits for other people and made masters for my own. I keep getting asked to produce more but I don't really want to become a small business. Another reason is I don't have a business brain or the desire to make money. I am not a rich man but I have enough for my modest life.  Surly being content is one of life's pleasures. 

Simon, thanks for the thumbs up. My wife and my other daughters are over the moon. It means they have a reason to go shopping for baby things.

20210615_153609.jpg

20210615_153636.jpg

20210615_152945.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

4 hours ago, airnimal said:

Other news is I'm a grandad again ! My middle daughter in Australia gave us a baby girl this morning. 

Congratulations and ditto! Other news is I'm a grandad again ! My middle daughter in Australia Leeds gave us a baby girl boy this morning. 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 3

4 hours ago, airnimal said:

I got what I wanted with very good service from Item Mail Order Ltd. I went on line to enquire only for a gentleman to phone me a short time later and the items I wanted were ordered and delivered this  morning.  Under 24 hours and they were here. Excellent service.

I agree with you, ordering BA tackle by telephone is so easy and there is the benefit of being able to make a substitution if the desired item is not available.  I recommend this supplier whenever I am asked about small nuts/bolts.

regards, Graham

Edited by Western Star
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Things have been slack on the modelling side of life lately.  Grandad duties have been to the forefront quite a bit and will be for the rest of the week. 

But I did get into the workshop for an hour while one of the little ones had an afternoon nap.

Managed to get the other side done and the end stanchions on. The top of the doors need putting in and all the timbers want chamfering. 

20210621_170043.jpg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

A small amount of work has taken place this morning to my latest cattle wagon. 

There is a tie bar on the inside just above the ones on the sides.

A start has been made on the brake gear from bits of etch found in my bits box. I have screwed a piece of angle to a batten on the floor and soldered each side of the brakes to it. I have left them over long to be trimmed to length when I fit the V-irons and the tumbler. 

20210624_144316.jpg

20210624_143918.jpg

20210624_143936.jpg

20210624_144024.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium

I had to revisit the V-irons because they didn't sit right.  So I unsoldered them and placed them back to back only to discover that they were different even from the same sheet of etch. They were hand drawn many years ago before CAD was available.  I put them together and tidy them up taking a few thou off one of them to make them a better match. Anyway I took the opportunity to cut a bit of plastic to locate the behind the solebar  which makes for easier fixing  later. 

I always use metal for brakegear. How many times at exhibitions do you see wagons on second hand stalls for sale with bits of broken plastic brake parts. I must admit it is one of my pet hates.

20210625_112537.jpg

20210625_110029.jpg

20210625_111123.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

I have been playing around with twisted wire for the chain on the brake rack. At the normal range of vision it doesn't look to bad but close up photos are cruel. The smallest chain in my box of bits looks very heavy when draped over the wagon next to the twisted wire version.

20210702_142749.jpg

20210703_085550.jpg

Edited by airnimal
  • Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Not being a football fan I am making the hinges on the doors from some Evergreen I- beam.

I could have used some 80 thou channel but I didn't have any. So I filed down one side to leave me with the channel I wanted.  Once it had been applied and left to dry I filed it down to the shape I wanted.  Close up are very cruel but once it has been painted I hope it won't be to bad.

20210703_193730.jpg

20210703_193827.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5