S7 scratch building

• RMweb Premium

I've managed to drill and fit all the bolts on the end. Now I've got to do the other end and side. Oh joy !

I have noticed that amongst the bolts from Masterclub I have had a few of different sizes in one packet. Not very often but it has happened a couple of times which has nearly caught me out. 

I don't know how they cast them or how they do them for the money,  but it's a small price to pay for such good quality.  

The Doctor phoned this morning to tell me I have to have a kidney function test and another C.T scan. 

So nothing to bother about. My wife asked me why I have to have a kidney test ?  I didn't ask the Doctor so I got a flea in my ear for not asking ! Can we ever win. 

20210706_121713.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

If a man's wife isn't with him when he hears a tree fall in the forest, is he still wrong?

It was undoubtedly his fault the tree fell.

Especially if it fell on him.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2

23 hours ago, airnimal said:

I have noticed that amongst the bolts from Masterclub...I don't know how they cast them or how they do them for the money,  but it's a small price to pay for such good quality. 

Thanks for this information re. Masterclub - I've just looked them up ['Masterclub' product shop on Facebook ?] and they are very reasonably priced for such useful parts (I don't think that I could get away with using microstrip cubes for bolt heads and nuts in 7mm).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

CKPR, I am pleased the information about Masterclub bolts and rivets was of use to you but will you still be as pleased when you get to drilling several hundred holes to place them in ? You may end up swearing at me for ever telling you about them.

I still use small cubes of plasticard when I want square bolts but the Masterclub bolts for hexagonal bolts are something else. They certainly make a huge difference in 7mm scale , the drawback is they double the time it takes to build a wagon. 

20210707_134504.jpg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, airnimal said:

the drawback is they double the time it takes to build a wagon. 

Not a problem if you enjoy the process, and are not after a large collection of wagons.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, airnimal said:

20210707_134504.jpg

A close up photo of my work would be cruel, and show up lots of errors.

Whereas the cleanliness and squareness of your work is, well, cruelly reminding me to up my game!

(For avoidance of doubt, that is a compliment!)

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

On 06/07/2021 at 12:41, airnimal said:

The Doctor phoned this morning to tell me I have to have a kidney function test and another C.T scan. 

So nothing to bother about. My wife asked me why I have to have a kidney test ?  I didn't ask the Doctor so I got a flea in my ear for not asking ! Can we ever win. 

A couple of weeks ago I broke a bone in my foot and called in at the local Minor Injuries Clinic for an X-ray. Needless to say I got (gently) chided for not asking exactly which bone – there are quite a few to choose from – was damaged, as if it made any difference to my mobility, or lack of it. Bless her, she's a great nurse though...

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Finally finished all the building work, so on to the fancy bits. After cleaning everything I put all the metal parts in Birchwood black before washing a second time and spraying with matt black from a Halfords rattle can. The grills I didn't paint because they will have lots of lime wash on them once all the paintwork is finished. I will leave everything for a couple of days before I put it all back together again. 

The body was again sprayed with a Halfords rattle can of red oxide.  

20210708_153215.jpg

20210708_153333.jpg

20210708_153352.jpg

20210708_152921.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium

I have started to letter my cattle wagon with what ever available tranfers I have. These numbers and letters are not NSR but they fit the bill perfectly.  I have run out of the North  Staffordshire knot so I will have to do them free hand. I have done them before but it does take many attempts to get right.  

If anyone has any spare methfix knot's that they don't have use for, I would be glad to accept any. Perhaps I have some on my sheets that someone else doesn't have and we could trade ?

Looking at the small amount of photographs of these cattle wagons there are a few things I have missed off including a vacuum pipe and rail strips on the roof. With there not being a great deal of information about these wagons, there is always going to be a certain amount of guesswork to building models 125 years after the original's were built.

I have some white metal castings for the vacuum pipe but I am reluctant to use them because of there softness. I find things that stick out tend to get broken very easily. I may attempt to make a couple out of brass.

20210709_101437.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I'd be interested to know what sort of ink you used.  I've been doing some hand lettering recently with rather less good results than you've achieved here - so very much a topical question!

Kit PW

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Kit PW, this is the ink I am using for the hand lettering. I don't know if it is ink or paint but if flow's well and it water soluble.  Is ink water soluble? 

I have done the other side now so I can get on with the axleboxes and springs.  

20210710_162432.jpg

20210710_162842.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

17 minutes ago, airnimal said:

I don't know if it is ink or paint

Thanks.... it's listed as an acrylic ink at Jacksons Art (which is one of the few suppliers that I can reach on a walk - almost everything comes by delivery nowadays).  I'll give it a try, the ink I'm using dries on the nib too quickly and flows too well, causing a few blobs here and there. The detailed description on Jackson's website says that Magic Colour is water soluble but dries waterproof - so ideal. The dip-pen/nib I use belonged to my grandfather so probably dates to the 1900s - maybe I should upgrade that too while I'm about it!  

The cattle wagon is well up to your usual exemplary standard... an inspiration for sure.

Kit PW

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Glad to be of help with the ink, one of the reasons we are all on here.

I have found my white metal vacuum pipes which I will probably use because they are so well cast. I don't think I could make them myself from brass that good. 

I have glued on the axleboxes and springs and painted the roof. If I keep going at this rate I could finish everything this weekend. I am pleased at the fit of the roof. Now I will spray on some matt varnish and fit the buffer heads and couplings.  Does anybody know if vacuum pipes were painted a different colour than the body colour ? I seem to remember that the ones on the LNWR were painted red.

20210710_181010.jpg

20210710_181137.jpg

20210710_181244.jpg

20210710_180903.jpg

20210710_180918_001.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 2

Presumably it is just vacuum piped rather than vacuum braked? If so, the pipes should probably be white. 

I say probably, that was certainly the practice in later years but not sure if it was the case in your time period. 

Red pipes would indicate a vacuum braked vehicle. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mol_PMB said:

Presumably it is just vacuum piped rather than vacuum braked? If so, the pipes should probably be white. 

I say probably, that was certainly the practice in later years but not sure if it was the case in your time period. 

Red pipes would indicate a vacuum braked vehicle. 

A vacuum (or Westinghouse) braked wagon of this period would undoubtedly have had clasp brakes. However, I'm fairly sure the distinction in colour of fittings belongs to a much later period.

• Agree 1