S7 scratch building

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, airnimal said:

to keep in the good books if that's possible.  

I believe that is possible, at least theoretically, but whilst I have frequently* found myself in the good books, I have never managed to stay there.

Edited by Regularity
*I say frequently, I really mean, once in a while…
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• 2 weeks later...

I’m glad you enjoyed the trip on the WHR even if it didn’t go quite to plan. The Garratts are impressive machines but are complicated and not as reliable as the Fairlies. We rarely seem to have a spare working Garratt to cover for failures and repairs. 

Upnor Castle saved the day again! That little diesel loco has definitely earnt its keep over the years - it’s nearly 70 years old now. 

Hopefully the modelling mojo will return again soon and I look forward to seeing your next wagon project. 

Mol

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Compound 2632, the lady with the hair grip is my sister and she is sitting in the best seats because she paid for the whole trip for everyone, bless her. The other lady is my better half and neither are on RM web.

Rather than start a new build I am revisiting some of the half finished projects from the past. First will be a couple of brake vans from my own kits. These are left over bits at the end of the run because I had a couple of sub standard parts that needed using up. I have run out of certain etch parts so I am trying to find alternatives to use instead . One body has the doors cut out so that they can be glued in the open position. I have several photographs of these vans with the doors open so it will make a change from the others. This one is going to be a proper mongrel  made up from lots of bits from the spares box including wheels with different  axles and the wrong W-irons but they hopefully won't be noticed behind the axleboxes and footboards. I need to find some brake wheels for the veranda. I think they are 2' OD with 6 spokes.

20211022_124955.jpg

20211022_125015.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, airnimal said:

Compound 2632, the lady with the hair grip is my sister and she is sitting in the best seats because she paid for the whole trip for everyone, bless her. The other lady is my better half and neither are on RM web.

@Regularity is in the clear then.

34 minutes ago, airnimal said:

Rather than start a new build I am revisiting some of the half finished projects from the past.

Always good to have a supply of unfinished projects to fall back on. That's why so many of mine are unfinished...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Moving on with these brake vans I now have glued the doors in the one which has them slightly open. 

One side is open quite a way and the other side just a small amount.  

There is still plenty to do but I am not in any hurry to finish them. I still have plenty of dec............ to do. 

On 22/10/2021 at 17:16, chris p bacon said:

Any chance of swapping sisters ?.......:D

Afraid not. I am proud of her for she has led a fascinating life leaving home at 16 to follow a passion for horses and show jumping which she did for about 12 years. Then she took up gliding and then sail boarding and wind surfing before scuba diving. She became an instructor in scuba diving and opened her own diving school in Fiji where she lived for a few years before doing the same in the Seychelles. There she met a archaeologist who was finding exhibits for a private museum in Houston in Texas. 

She then lived in Houston for many years from where she crewed ocean going yachts around the world. In her late 40's she returned home and went to university to study computer engineering. She obtained a first class degree and then met Mike her partner through sailing.  They then spent several years sailing all over Europe in Mike's boat before Mike got cancer. They now live on a farm in Cornwall where Mike restores classic cars, vans and lorries and she does photography. They both take part in car rallies in there 1930's MG. 

20211024_123029.jpg

20211024_122953.jpg

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

I have finished the paintwork in the first bedroom so I hopefully have earned enough brownie points to get the afternoon in the workshop. I can't start the other rooms just yet because our eldest daughter and husband / grandchildren are coming tomorrow.  

So I have started to add the brakegear before I fit the footboards.  I have cleaned up the castings and soldered a length of angle to the bottom so they can be screwed to the floor. This makes painting so easier. 

20211025_133354.jpg

20211025_133409.jpg

20211025_141420.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 25/10/2021 at 15:24, airnimal said:

I have finished the paintwork in the first bedroom so I hopefully have earned enough brownie points to get the afternoon in the workshop. I can't start the other rooms just yet because our eldest daughter and husband / grandchildren are coming tomorrow.  

So I have started to add the brakegear before I fit the footboards.  I have cleaned up the castings and soldered a length of angle to the bottom so they can be screwed to the floor. This makes painting so easier. 

20211025_133354.jpg

20211025_133409.jpg

20211025_141420.jpg

Truly gorgeous work, wow. Where are the axleguards and the brake bits from, if I can ask? The brakes in particular seem impossible to locate.

• RMweb Premium

WM183, thanks you for comments regarding the castings. All the casting for this brake van were made  from masters by myself. The body is a one piece resin casting and all the others are in brass. This model was produced to satisfy 3 friends who wanted me to build them a couple of vans each. Instead of scratch build the same van many times ( I wanted a couple for myself ) it was easier to make a limited run and sell the surplus on privately.  I didn't intend to make any money from kits as long as I broke even. There are a few castings spare if anybody wants the few remaining parts. PM if you are interested but there are only a few left. 

20211026_191117.jpg

20211026_191421.jpg

20211026_191446.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

I have just discovered in my box of tricks my prototype early pale grey casting of a brake van. I will make this up and paint it in two tone livery. Also discovered is a LNWR meat van that I took in part payment for building one of the brake vans for a friend. I wonder what other goodies I can find in my Aladdin's cave, I know I have disposed of lots of parts that I will probably never use.

20211027_130115.jpg

20211027_130157.jpg

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

This the kit that I found in my goodies box. With my history of kit making surly even I can't make a mess of something so simple to assemble.  The whole body has only 4 parts to glue together and the fit looks as though the join will be invisible. I don't think I will start this just yet ( we never start a new project before we finish all the others do we ! ) because I hear grumbling that now you have finished the paintwork in the bedroom no 1 there is the kitchen and the other 2 bedrooms to dec.................

Oh well !

20211028_093422.jpg

20211028_093643.jpg

20211028_093729.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

The good lady has gone to lunch with the girls so rather than take it up on myself to start the painting of the kitchen  ( didn't dare choose the colour dear ) I had a look to see if I could do a small job on one of the brake vans. The first ones I have made for myself have the original lamp iron brackets but for a change I thought I would model one with the second type which swing out from behind the door pillars. 

So I cut a couple of strips of waste etch and drilled a couple of holes before soldering a pair of turned down lace pins in. Taking a piece of 40thou OD brass tube I filed a flat edge on one side before cutting a small part off. I then soldered this to the flat strip while holding it in a pair of tweezers.  It is slightly over scale and I will probably trim it down before painting. I drilled a pair of holes in the end pillar and cut the lace pins to size. When I finally fit these brackets I will fill in the fixing holes an touch up the paintwork.  I now have to make the swinging brackets to hold the lamps. 

20211028_132403.jpg

20211028_130840.jpg

20211028_132304.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8