S7 scratch building

5 hours ago, airnimal said:

The good lady has gone to lunch with the girls so rather than take it up on myself to start the painting of the kitchen  ( didn't dare choose the colour dear ) I had a look to see if I could do a small job on one of the brake vans. The first ones I have made for myself have the original lamp iron brackets but for a change I thought I would model one with the second type which swing out from behind the door pillars. 

So I cut a couple of strips of waste etch and drilled a couple of holes before soldering a pair of turned down lace pins in. Taking a piece of 40thou OD brass tube I filed a flat edge on one side before cutting a small part off. I then soldered this to the flat strip while holding it in a pair of tweezers.  It is slightly over scale and I will probably trim it down before painting. I drilled a pair of holes in the end pillar and cut the lace pins to size. When I finally fit these brackets I will fill in the fixing holes an touch up the paintwork.  I now have to make the swinging brackets to hold the lamps. 

20211028_132403.jpg

20211028_130840.jpg

20211028_132304.jpg

Hi Mike, this is quite useful as I still have one of these to make. I have done one in the two tone livery. 

• 3 weeks later...

The thumbs up emoji seems the most cheerful of the options and that seems to be what's needed - I hope the Aussies let you in and I'm sure we're looking forward to seeing much more of your modelling as time goes on: you set a high bar for this would-be scratch builder but at the same time, the inspiration to keep at it.

Kit PW

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

If it's any consolation, Mike, your last couple of modelling posts have made me realise that lamp brackets and lamps are sadly lacking from my 4 mm scale D16 (LRM ex-D&S whitemetal and etched nickel silver). So the inspiration continues.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, airnimal said:

The last post said there wasn't a lot happening with models and there hasn't been anymore since. 

After my last scan I have been back to the Hospital to see the consultant who has said my condition has declined. He is now recommending I have my prostate removed but I am awaiting a appointment at Christie's to see if there is a alternative treatment. I wasn't expecting the decline so rapid so it came as a bit of a shock. The nurse asked was I O.K with the diagnosis and what was the worst part that I had to deal with ! My reply was going home and telling the wife and 3 daughter's because I knew that there would be much wailing and weeping. They have got over it now but the mood has been sombre for awhile. But the other news is that we have got our visas for Australia and our covid clearance as well. 

So hopefully we will be able to go once I have had my operation or other treatment and the Australian government allows us in. My wife and myself are looking forward to holding our new baby granddaughter as well as seeing the other members of the family.  

I have booked my ticket to the small O gauge show at Wooton Bassett on Dec 4. I will be able to stay with our eldest daughter who lives in Swindon.  Our eldest grandson goes to school in Wotton Bassett so I will be able to kill two birds with one stone. This may bring back a bit of the lost mojo and I can get back to modelling again. 

I have finished painting the kitchen at last now with just 2 bedrooms to do as well as the stairs and landing but I don't think I am about to start right now, i need a bit of time off. 

20211123_105904.jpg

20211123_105923.jpg

Mike,

having been there some years ago, I understand you apprehension but am sure that you will have a positive outcome.

Jol

4 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

If it's any consolation, Mike, your last couple of modelling posts have made me realise that lamp brackets and lamps are sadly lacking from my 4 mm scale D16 (LRM ex-D&S whitemetal and etched nickel silver). So the inspiration continues.

Stephen,

LRM are about to bring out a 4mm kit for the LNWR 20T six  wheel brake van. I believe they will have the lamp brackets in lost wax cast brass. They will probably be available as a "spare part" to retrofit the 10T van.

Jol

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Gentleman,  I have to thank you all for the wonderful comments and best wishes received regarding my condition.  I went yesterday to the Hospital to see the Oncologist to discuss what treatment is available and what treatment would best suit myself.  Having been given all the options and talked it over with the family I am still undecided which way to go. I was hoping that the professionals would tell me which would be better for me but apparently it will be my decision. I think I am coming the conclusion that the removal of the prostate would be the best in my case but I would like to talk with more people on who have had Radiotherapy or removal first.

Not a lot done on the modelling front with Hospitals visit and decorating and family matters but I have been playing around with a couple of wagon bodies just to keep my sanity.  I was sorry to hear of the passing of Bob Essery the other day who did so much for our great hobby. I talked with him many times at S7 meetings and at exhibitions about track work and Midland wagons and my bookshelves would be a lot poorer without his knowledge. 

20211126_121631.jpg

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium

Once you are fully mended, Mike, you would be very welcome to visit Hunt Towers for the day and we could give some of you beautiful wagons a run up and down the layout.

Best of luck mate.

Dave

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...