S7 scratch building

• RMweb Gold

Hi Airnimal,

You are surpassing yourself with this build, it is simply exquisite!

I think you should tell the boss that serious art is being disrupted, did Michelangelo have to put down his brushes whilst painting the Sistine Chapel to emulsion the walls?

You have my full support in this whilst I hide behind the sofa............ 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

I suppose you’re just as good when you’re decorating? Me, I put too much on the brush and there’s runs, and I don't get trusted with the D word as a result, and so there’s just a little bit more time gifted with the M word, although I can’t use it as well as you. Once I’d put two of those rivets in I’d be going doo-ally.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

1 hour ago, Northroader said:

I suppose you’re just as good when you’re decorating? Me, I put too much on the brush and there’s runs, and I don't get trusted with the D word as a result, and so there’s just a little bit more time gifted with the M word, although I can’t use it as well as you. Once I’d put two of those rivets in I’d be going doo-ally.

I have visions of the living room walls being decorated with rivets, painted red oxide and with a Staffy 'knot' motif painted on... But I don't think Masterclub make rivets big enough for house walls.

• Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
On 09/08/2021 at 20:37, airnimal said:

If anyone ask me once it is finished and painted if this is a Slaters kit I might not be responsible for my actions !

I know the feeling Mike. Someone at an exhibition once asked me where I bought my Compound and when I replied that I'd made it then asked which make of kit it was.

I know that I've stated before how much I admire your work but this one is simply stunning.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I have given the tank a first coat of red oxide primer from a rattle can. This shows all the imperfections which I hope will not be to noticeable when the black paint goes on followed by the weathering. 

I did a small test piece with the red before applying a few blobs of Maskol and then painting with the black. Once removed the red shows through leaving some patches of worn paint, not very successfully IMHO. I will paint the rest tomorrow before I decide what to do about the weathering on how far to go with it. Weathering like painting is not my strong point.

Thanks to everyone for the comments. It is always good to laugh and not to take things to serious. 

20210813_133157.jpg

20210813_133126.jpg

20210813_133058.jpg

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 1

7 hours ago, Simond said:

Don’t Slaters do….? No, sorry, wait, err…

... you’ll have to build a Slaters rectangular tank too, so you can show the difference.

Mike,

Just in case you decide to take Mike's suggestion, here is a link to a topic about a couple of Slater's tar tubs that Peter and I have built.  You may notice that I have used some techniques / methods that are familiar to you...  with due acknowledgement.  Near to the top of the thread is a photo of Peter's tar tub which was painted and weathered by Adrian Marks; Adrian wrote about his methods on RMWeb, here and are worth reading.

As to weathering, Rob ( @Rob Pulham ) has written here (or WT) about how he has weathered his tank wagon, worth lookiing at for the way in which Rob has treated the spillage from filling of the tank.  Rob, can you supply a link?

regards, Graham

Edited by Western Star
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

I painted most of the components for my tank wagon this morning with the usual rattle cans. 

I will leave them for most of today for the paint to go hard. I might assemble them tonight depending on what the good lady has in store for me. 

20210814_105725.jpg

20210814_105808.jpg

20210814_105835.jpg

20210814_105904.jpg

20210814_105954.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Marc, I just put them in Birchwood super blue then rub the plates on some wet and dry. I did think about  spraying them with some Ford graphite grey and doing the same with the wet and dry. I may still try that but it will have to wait a bit because  we are going playing out fo a short while. 

20210814_114101.jpg

20210814_114110.jpg

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium

I have prepared the axleboxes from modified Slaters Midland ones with new lids, The springs are my own printed ones left over from I ones I had done last year. I have replaced the tie rods on top of the tank because I wasn't satisfied with the finish on them and repaired the brake handle.  

There always a few issues that need attention after painting any model and this one was no different.  

20210815_133851.jpg

20210815_135556.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

The build is complete with just the weathering to finish off. 

I'm  not sure how dirty or decrepit I want it to be or if I will ruin it at the last minute. Perhaps I will just do a small amount and leave it at that. 

I must thank Graham  Beare and his son along with Chris Brown for all there help with the etched parts and plates. I  couldn't have done it without them. 

20210815_193707.jpg

20210815_193602.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

• RMweb Premium

I have made an attempt at doing the weathering tonight with mixed results. I have also broken the brake handle again !  I need to solder the replacement more strongly because this is getting tedious. 

I will be having  a few weeks off doing the dreaded dec............?   I am told some people  actually enjoy doing this. Really 

Some of this might be removed tomorrow when I look at it in the daylight. 

20210815_201224.jpg

20210815_201650.jpg

20210815_214325.jpg

20210815_212213.jpg

• Like 18

I love the effect of the pastel

chalk. Is it fixed in some way or just dusted on? Does handling remove it again? 
For general weathering try a diluted wash of grubby Humbrol colours, wiping off with a scrap of cloth. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1