S7 scratch building

• RMweb Premium

My wife may not agree with all this praise on here because I am always in the doghouse for something ! Still we have been together for 35 years so I can't be all bad.

I have done a small amount this morning on the end of one of the smaller wagons. The end catches are small curvy things that will tax my patience some what. I have made one to see if it looks like the drawings and photos.

The discoloured plastic on the right hand side is just that, discoloured after I used some old plastic that had been left in a window.

post-20018-0-39877200-1547476962_thumb.jpeg

post-20018-0-87253800-1547476973_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

My wife may not agree with all this praise on here because I am always in the doghouse for something ! Still we have been together for 35 years so I can't be all bad.

I have managed ⅔ of that, and I ascribe the continued “success” down to my having assumed a default position of being in the doghouse, it’s just the reason which varies.

Still, gives me some variety in life!

Nice progress on the wagon.

• RMweb Premium

A bit of a change today. My friend Peter has bought a Dapol Private owner wagon that had a very large number. So he rubbed off the numbers each side of the 991 with a fibre glass scratch brush which changed the colour of the body. So he asked me to lightly weather this wagon to disguise the change in colour.

I am not sure if my effort is what he wanted but it has blended in where the numbers were removed.

Compared with my own wagons it show how much smaller the early wagons were.

post-20018-0-78228300-1547565890_thumb.jpeg

post-20018-0-34742400-1547565903_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

I disagree with your statement, they are excellent scratch built models that I would be proud to own. I think they are such unusual prototypes with the different sides and I can't wait for you to paint them. Are you going to use the early stile of lettering with the small letters in a cross formation ?

Mike

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks for your kind words Mike. I'm still thinking about the finishing. I will certainly do one with the G Northern R cruciform style. My chosen period is 1900-1910 so the large GN was in use by then. But the earlier style does suit these archaic wagons!

Vernon

Edited by Doncaster

I agree with Mike, the GNR cokes look superb models so just why do you think that they are "not up tp the standard"?  Of course, if you do not like them then please attach a "one journey only" label and forward c/o West Wycombe GW&GC Jt where I shall be pleased to give them a good home.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Having built wagons from scratch for over 40 years I am aware of the amount of work that has gone into these coke wagons. They are a credit to you and I do look forward to seeing some more of your work as I expect others will too.

I am intrigued by inside ends ? Could we have more photos of the internal arrangements and underneath if that's possible.

Mike

• Like 1

These really are very very good

John

Thanks John

I agree with Mike, the GNR cokes look superb models so just why do you think that they are "not up tp the standard"?  Of course, if you do not like them then please attach a "one journey only" label and forward c/o West Wycombe GW&GC Jt where I shall be pleased to give them a good home.

Thank you!

• RMweb Premium

Thinking I need to get started on my planned layout and finish my chopper tank I made a list of the things that I have to do to complete the loco. It didn't amount to much, the tank fillers and the cross members between the brakes and maybe one out two small items. One other item is the glass in the cab spectacles. I remember an article in MRJ about using microscope glass slips, so I dug out a small pack I have had for years and never used.

But how to cut out the round shape ?

I thought long and hard because I could not find the issue of MRJ with the article in.

I came up with the idear of turning a bit of brass bar the right diameter for the glass and sticking the glass to it with double sided tape and then shaping it with a diamond file.

The first attempt did not go according to plan and the glass broke. Then I remembered who ever wrote the article stuck 2 panes together and had more success.

So I stuck 2 panes together with superglue and tried again. This second attempt was better so I may have another go. I used this remover to release the glass from the brass. I don't have many glass slides left so if I don't make them work I may have to go back to plastic.

post-20018-0-11594100-1547816941_thumb.jpeg

post-20018-0-05869200-1547816959_thumb.jpeg

post-20018-0-56728200-1547816976_thumb.jpeg

post-20018-0-98163800-1547816989_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

My method of making round spectacle glasses is to drill/bore out a piece of brass bar to the diameter of the glass then turn a piece of clear acrylic rod to a sliding fit in the brass and glue it in with Araldite. When the Araldite is cured I then face off the front of the brass/acrylic, turn the outer edge of the brass and part it off. To finish things off I rub the faces of the spectacle on gradually finer grades of wet and dry paper ending up with Brasso or similar on a piece of thick paper. This works every time for me and results in a very convincing spectacle that can be glued into the cab front or back plate.

Dave

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Dave,thanks for the tips, but as I don't enjoy making loco's this chopper tank will probably be my last. As I have already soldered the spectacle rims in place I will have another go at my method before I cut out some plastic ones.

Tricky, thank you for confidence in my ability, some would say unfounded. I have two problems with a layout. The first is lack of space along with the curves of S7 and the second is my lack of vision. I don't have much experience with layouts only helping out a couple of times with other people's. I think even a small layout moving around a few wagons is all I will be able achieve. I have started a couple of layouts in the past including building a couple of baseboards around the walls bedroom at the age of 15.

I have a couple of different interests about layouts. One aspect that I like are goods yards with industrial buildings, and the second is a simple rural layout like the Cromford and High Peak Rly.

As I am now 67 and I scratch build most things time is not on my side. Whatever I chose, will it be the right choice and will it give me satisfaction.

Mike

Edited by airnimal

I think you do have ‘vision’ because what you describe is very similar to me. Monks Gate is only 8’ long plus traverser and certainly isn’t built for its prototypical operational possibilities!! I agree you have to fit your plans to the realistic resources available but that doesn’t mean it has to be perceived as second-rate or ‘it will do’ in any way. You love the detail, like me, so if I were you I’d crack on and get some baseboards up! If you’ve got a spare wall about 11’ long we’re in business!

• RMweb Premium

Tricky, if I could build anything half as good as your Midland in Bristol or your other layout I would be well chuffed.

I blackened the buffers and coupling this morning instead of doing my household duties. I also changed my mind on the the spring arrangements because I didn't think there was enough room to use the Peco buffers as intended. So I drilled a hole in the end of the buffer rams and was going to thread the wire through that. But when I came to try and insert the wire I could not bend it enough without grief. So in the end I shortened both the buffer rams and the end collars and everything fitted prefect.

I will be going to the Bristol show on Sunday because I can go and visit my eldest daughter along with the rest of the family. I will be staying in Swindon for a couple of nights first. Not much on my shopping list but it will be good to catch up with old friends.

post-20018-0-44816900-1548336903_thumb.jpeg

post-20018-0-70607400-1548336917_thumb.jpeg

post-20018-0-48617500-1548336955_thumb.jpeg

• Like 6