S7 scratch building

• RMweb Premium

I have replaced the iron work on the ends because I filed the angles to shallow. 

I can now start to detail the body after all the messing about trying to get the dimensions of the body right. The corner plates I have made from 10 thou plastic which is to thick. I should try 5 thou but I never seem make a good job using plastic this thin. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

I have started to put the many rivets on the  solebars. I even put some on that weren't there and had to remove them and fill the holes with filler. This is not the most entertaining job I have ever done, so much so I have only do one side. The other side can wait untill tomorrow. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium

All the rivets and bolt heads are now on with just the label clips to cut out and put on. 

I keep looking at the buffer housings and thinking although they look like L&Y they could be Caledonian. I have had these in my parts box for many years and the packing and labels has been lost so I am unsure of the origins.

The rib down the side looks to be to long although they are the same shape and style as L&Y.

i may change these if I can get some more this weekend at the Leigh show.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by airnimal
To many photos
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

I have had another look at the buffer issue and have come to the conclusion I have used the wrong ones. 

I went back to my L&Y van and looked at the buffer I used on that and they don't have a rib down the side and I know where these came from. These also have a backing plate on which has distinct shape which the other two don't have.

From my parts box I had two packets of buffers one marked CR and one without any labels on. 

The photo of the buffers has the CR ones on the right and the Unknown one on the left.

i also found some v-hangers that were just right.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

7 hours ago, airnimal said:

The photo of the buffers has the CR ones on the right and the Unknown one on the left.

i also found some v-hangers that were just right.

image.jpeg

Consulting Mike Wiliam's book on CR wagons, the CR had a heavy duty self contained type which looks very similar to the left hand one in the photo.  The drawing has neither a scale nor dimensions, but assuming the head to be c1'1" in diameter, I estimate the body to be around 9" diam.

Jim

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I did a demo stand at the Leigh show yesterday and managed to get the correct L&Y buffers. When I got them home and had a good look at them I was slightly disappointed with the bolt details on them. I think perhaps the moulds have become worn. So I have removed the mis shaped bolts and drilled the body to accept some plastic bolts from the MasterClub range. The photo was taken before the buffers were modified.

Many thanks to all the people who stop by at Leigh to say hello.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by airnimal
Bad spelling
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I have now drilled out and replaced the bolts on these L&Y buffers. I had to drill them first before using a small broach to open the hole to size.

The second photo has the old buffers next to new ones.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

Having got the buffers correct there is just the brakes to make. I couldn't find anything on the market that looks like the L&Y brake shoes. The only thing for it was to scratch build them myself. 

So I cut out a couple of shoes which have a very distinct shape not seen by me on any other railway.

I have made a start to assemble the parts on the wagon which I find is not easy at all. How do the 4mm boys do this I can only guess at.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

I found this brakegear not as difficult as expected once I got going.

Just a few more bits to do including the safety loops and the brake rack and handle. It will make an unusual wagon with the different brake gear with both brake handles pointing to the same end and the steel under frame.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

Having got the buffers correct there is just the brakes to make. I couldn't find anything on the market that looks like the L&Y brake shoes. The only thing for it was to scratch build them myself. 

So I cut out a couple of shoes which have a very distinct shape not seen by me on any other railway.

I have made a start to assemble the parts on the wagon which I find is not easy at all. How do the 4mm boys do this I can only guess at.

In 4mm scale, it's hideously difficult to assemble brakes where all the parts are articulated. The easier brake parts are those made as one fold-up etch for each wheelbase; also prints.

One thing that would help, in both 4mm and 7mm scales I guess, is dummy wheels that are the diameter of the real wheel tread plus clearance. I.e. the blocks can be positioned by pressing them against the dummy wheels while soldering.

4 hours ago, Guy Rixon said:

One thing that would help, in both 4mm and 7mm scales I guess, is dummy wheels that are the diameter of the real wheel tread plus clearance. I.e. the blocks can be positioned by pressing them against the dummy wheels while soldering.

Put a narrow strip of masking tape around the tread of a wheelset when assembling the brake gear. After removal of the tape there is running clearance between the tyre and ths adjacent brake block.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Western Star said:

Put a narrow strip of masking tape around the tread of a wheelset when assembling the brake gear. After removal of the tape there is running clearance between the tyre and ths adjacent brake block.

Nice idea - should produce just the right gap.

Does it prevent heat-transfer to the wheel rim?

23 hours ago, Regularity said:

Does it prevent heat-transfer to the wheel rim?

Prevent? No.

Reduce? Probably.

When assembling the Exactoscale brake gear onto that manufacturer's metal underframes I progress as:-

1/ brake tumbler on to shaft through V-hanger;

2/ brake block to brake push rod on the bench;

3/ brake block / push rod to tumbler on the wagon;

4/ brake block to brake block hanger with block against tyre using 0.7mm wire through hanger / block / hanger;

5/ solder pin to hanger.

Step 5 is soldering a wire pin to a thin / narrow strip of metal so the heat transfer to the brake block is low.

regards, Graham

Edited by Western Star
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Thank you to everyone for all the input, it all helps.

I have Just fitted Ambis brake racks with home made brake handles.

I am near the end now but I have managed to misplace both the  axleboxes and the retaining straps. I put things down or in boxes and can never find them for ages. The joys of old age !

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

8 hours ago, airnimal said:

I am near the end now but I have managed to misplace both the  axleboxes and the retaining straps. I put things down or in boxes and can never find them for ages. The joys of old age !

I was torn between 'craftsmanship/clever' and 'Friendly/supportive' but went for the former.  Been there done that.....

Jim

Looks very nice each time I see a new wagon from you it makes me think I ought to do some more.

One query, are not the brakes the wrong way around? Both levers will release the brakes when pushed down.

• Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, N15class said:

Looks very nice each time I see a new wagon from you it makes me think I ought to do some more.

One query, are not the brakes the wrong way around? Both levers will release the brakes when pushed down.

Or the levers face the wrong way.

• RMweb Premium

Oh the shame, the shame !

40 years scratch building wagons and now this. I will go and stand in the corner.

I blame it all on be harassed by my 18 month  old grandson who is such a live wire he makes my head spin. Still it is better to be so full of life and energy than be sat in front of the television all day.

Yes I dropped a big one but at least it is an easy fix. 

I will go and sit on the naughty step and await my forgiveness.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

Well nan has taken our grandson to Pets at Home to see the rabbits so I was able to do a quick fix and now all is well. Ten minutes work and no one will be any wiser.

After his afternoon nap it's off to the airport to see the planes. Such is life being a grandad.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 15

40 years scratch building wagons and now this. I will go and stand in the corner.

I blame it all on be harassed by my 18 month  old grandson who is such a live wire he makes my head spin. Still it is better to be so full of life and energy than be sat in front of the television all day.

I will go and sit on the naughty step and await my forgiveness

I know that feeling our adopted son is 3 and bounces off the wall from morning till bedtime. Helps keep you young. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 01/05/2019 at 11:29, airnimal said:

I will go and sit on the naughty step and await my forgiveness.

I got quite near finished with this J77 before it was pointed out, smokeboxes usually hinge on the other side...

Easily fixed though.

• Like 2