S7 scratch building

Caley Jim, is not better to aim for perfection and fall short than aim for mediocrity and score a direct hit.

Agreed! But I still don't see too much by which to be disheartened.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Garethashenden, I am a little loose on the time scale but between 1880 and 1900.

Graham, looking at the photo of the end of the wagon the bolt heads are not as crisp as they were with just one coat of red oxide on. Having gone to all the trouble of getting the right size bolts i don't want to loose that sharp look and end up with just a blob.

post-20018-0-91014300-1500114595_thumb.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Garethashenden, I am a little loose on the time scale but between 1880 and 1900.

Graham, looking at the photo of the end of the wagon the bolt heads are not as crisp as they were with just one coat of red oxide on. Having gone to all the trouble of getting the right size bolts i don't want to loose that sharp look and end up with just a blob.

"Made in Russia" - there's clearly some high-quality finescale modelling going on through the Siberian winters...

• RMweb Premium

I had a wonderful day yesterday. I went to Oldham library to look at a large photograph that covers one large wall in the upstair gallery made up of 9 views of Oldham Glegg St goods yard taken in 1876. The number of dumb buffer wagons is huge and will keep me in the workshop for years to come. Any body who is interested in early railways must try to visit this sometime as it is a gem. Rows and rows of early wagons and all goods piled high with cranes and horse lurrys. There are a couple of wagons with half dumb and half sprung buffers that have taken my fancy. I went into the scrap box and found a couple of old loco buffers that I have modified that will do for one wagon. When I get time I will draw up 5 or 6 of the ones that I particular want to model.

post-20018-0-84709300-1500376142_thumb.jpeg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Those half sprung wagons are a really interesting compromise aren't they. Reduced cost over fully sprung, but better for the load than dumb buffers.

In a train of randomly-oriented half spring wagons, there will be sprung buffering between three-quarters of wagons at half the cost of sprung buffers all round. If for some operational reason the wagons are all oriented the same way round - for example the end doors all have to be at the same end for tipping at the destination, then every wagon pair is sprung. (I'm sure there was a preference for having the end door at the dumb end or the sprung end but can't recall which!)

In a train of randomly-oriented half spring wagons, there will be sprung buffering between three-quarters of wagons at half the cost of sprung buffers all round. If for some operational reason the wagons are all oriented the same way round - for example the end doors all have to be at the same end for tipping at the destination, then every wagon pair is sprung. (I'm sure there was a preference for having the end door at the dumb end or the sprung end but can't recall which!)

The door end is sprung I believe.

• RMweb Premium

The 2 wagons on the photo at Oldham of Bridgewater Trustees Worsley Collieries have the sprung buffers away from the end door. It does make sense that you would not tip coal and dust on to a mechanical part rather than a dead bit of wood with no bits to jam up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just back from cycling in Bosnia to find some etch plates waiting for me at home. The Wigan Coal & Iron plates were painted White or Cream background with black letters. I have tried to colour the background with paint without success and then White ink again without success. So I used some Birchwood Liquid Gun Blue before polishing them to a dull finish. I am not sure what to do about them other than weather the wagon with a very heavy finish.

post-20018-0-77810900-1501172400_thumb.jpeg

post-20018-0-15411200-1501172416_thumb.jpeg

post-20018-0-29998600-1501172431_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I had a wonderful day yesterday. I went to Oldham library to look at a large photograph that covers one large wall in the upstair gallery made up of 9 views of Oldham Glegg St goods yard taken in 1876. The number of dumb buffer wagons is huge and will keep me in the workshop for years to come. Any body who is interested in early railways must try to visit this sometime as it is a gem. Rows and rows of early wagons and all goods piled high with cranes and horse lurrys. There are a couple of wagons with half dumb and half sprung buffers that have taken my fancy. I went into the scrap box and found a couple of old loco buffers that I have modified that will do for one wagon. When I get time I will draw up 5 or 6 of the ones that I particular want to model.

post-13283-0-57862200-1501178755_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

I have tried to colour the background with paint without success and then White ink again without success. So I used some Birchwood Liquid Gun Blue before polishing them to a dull finish. I am not sure what to do about them other than weather the wagon with a very heavy finish.

Have you tried applying a thin mix of white/cream by just allowing it to flow off the tip of a fine brush into the areas around the letters? Any paint that gets on the letters can be ribbed of worth a light rub of fine emery paper once the paint is dry. You don't say what form your lack of success took.

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim

• RMweb Premium

Brassey, yes that is the photo in Oldham Library. I took lots of close ups of the wagons but didn't put them on here because I was unsure of copyright. To see it in the flesh about 30 feet long is so impressive.

Caley Jim, I have tried to use both paint and ink but without success. Not giving up just yet. The etch depth is not really deep enough.

Does anybody know if 3D printing can produce the same as etch plates ? If the plates were printed in Black and then painted White, could I then rub them on fine grade abrasive paper to leave the Black letters ?

I would suggest that, except when brand new, the plates would end up rusty anyway. But they look great. While I've seen some photos of wagons with similar plates, I've never seen a model.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well I had one last go at the nameplate on the Wigan Coal & Iron wagon. First I sprayed them with White primer from a rattlecan before going over the raised letters with a lead pencil. It isn't sharp but with a bit of dusting down has not come out to bad.

post-20018-0-81798800-1501428614_thumb.jpeg

post-20018-0-75403200-1501428630_thumb.jpeg

• Like 12

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have just added the axle boxes and springs to a couple more wagons. Still a long way to go.

I have just found another photograph of a John G. Morris wagon number 252 that is different to the two l have already made.

The number plate is on the door with the flag to the left of the door. The back ground colour is pale with dark letters. This is the wagon on page 46 in the Coal Trade wagons book by L. Tavender. I will have to order a new number plate and do another wagon.

I could do with doing some more company wagons with the N.S.R. and Midland first and then a few that the kit manufactures don't touch.

post-20018-0-98740400-1502626285_thumb.jpeg

post-20018-0-41148500-1502626302_thumb.jpeg

post-20018-0-49388700-1502626316_thumb.jpeg

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for the generous comments. I am not sure how many wagons I am going to be building because I have only got a small space for my layout when I get around to start planning it. Just a few of the vans in the pile waiting to to be finished.

post-20018-0-38441700-1502703302_thumb.jpeg

post-20018-0-63555600-1502703315_thumb.jpeg

post-20018-0-65872100-1502703326_thumb.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Just a few of the vans in the pile waiting to to be finished.

Ah, now you have my undivided attention...  I have several of those kits to build, just need some guidance from the Master so plenty of construction details.

Thank you, Graham

• RMweb Premium

Graham, there is not a lot to tell. I have added a 10 thou x 2mm wide strip of brass on the roof to act as door runners. The rivets are brass pins with the heads turned down. The handles are made from 18 thou nickel wire with the door chain from twisted fine brass wire. The w-irons are my own etched brass or nickel parts that I had made many years ago. The have an elongated slot and are sprung with a simple 31 gauge phosphor bronze wire. All the cast parts are A.B.S.

post-20018-0-40901600-1502708391_thumb.jpeg

post-20018-0-85407000-1502708403_thumb.jpeg

post-20018-0-39411700-1502708419_thumb.jpeg

post-20018-0-27809200-1502708430_thumb.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1