S7 scratch building

• RMweb Gold

Thats a really clever and simple idea.......I'm going to pinch it. :good_mini:

I ignore my school reports, One of the best comments I had from a teacher was "David has contributed immensely in debate this year" when the I had been off school with Perotonitis for many months........come to think of it......maybe my not being there was for the better...:rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

10 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

Thats a really clever and simple idea.......I'm going to pinch it. :good_mini:

I ignore my school reports, One of the best comments I had from a teacher was "David has contributed immensely in debate this year" when the I had been off school with Perotonitis for many months........come to think of it......maybe my not being there was for the better...:rolleyes:

The most positive comment that I received in a school report was....

Ronald can be one of top pupils in the class when he is interested. Unfortunately he so rarely is.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Sorry for the rant earlier, obviously I have a bit of a bee in my bonnet about my school days. 

I have soldered up the footboards and tried my castings to see if they fit. I am pleased with the footboards because they are very strong so will be able to withstand a fair amount of handling.

20210129_181757.jpg

Edited by airnimal
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

I got up early because I was thinking how to do the lamp brackets on the pillars. Plastic would not be strong enough so it had to be brass. I found some unequal brass T section that was of the size that was perfect.  I cut a slot in one side and soldered a brass lace pin into the said slot. I then cut this piece off with a piecing saw. Another section of brass but L shaped was soldered underneath this first part taking care it didn't fall apart when soldering this bit on. It is easier to do than explain. All I have to do now is make 3 more.

20210130_094059.jpg

20210130_094025.jpg

20210130_093830.jpg

Edited by airnimal
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 12

• RMweb Gold

some superb models there Mike, I've had the pleasure of seeing some of them in the flesh when you've been on the demo stand at shows (I vaguely remember them.... shows that is, not the models!).

They look even better then, the quality of your work and attention to detail shine through.

You provide some of us with a standard to aim for.

Edited by Argos
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Marc, if it is any consolation, I can't do technology without a great deal of help. Even then I struggle with the most basic things. Mobile phones, computers, cameras etc etc. 

I am also rubbish at building kits. That is my main reason I scratch build. If i scrap something there is not usually a great cost only my time but if I scrap a kit which I have done many times the cost can be expensive. 

I have a tub full of scrap castings from kits I failed to build correctly . 

I ask myself sometimes why do we post our efforts on here ? Is it ego or boasting or do we want a pat on the back from fellow modellers ? My reason I think is I like to read other people's post to get ideas and tips and generally pick other people's brains and admire there work. I have been fortunate it the past to see and admire some fantastic models and layouts which has spurred me on to try and do better myself.  

I have fitted the second  footboard with just the small steps to complete. Then I can get on an start the brakegear.

20210131_125334.jpg

20210131_125611.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

Hi Mike, re your fine collection of models and the planned house move... have you already prepared special packaging for the move?  I imagine that you’ve already order a supply of stickers demanding ‘Handle with care’ .... 

regards

Andy

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I woke up early so decided to make the unusual tie bar between the W-irons. This has been soldered  to the back of the W-irons. I am mounting all the underframe on a sub base to ease construction.

The photograph of van No 459 in the NSR wagon book shows this tie bar but I am not sure what the blocks with bolts are for ?  I have seen something similar on an earlier LNWR passenger brake van.

There might have to be an educated guess at this unless anyone has any thoughts on the subject. 

20210201_082323.jpg

20210201_082720.jpg

20210201_082521.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Guy, many thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I have had a look in Southern wagons vol 3 and plate No 144 has a photograph of such a van with the sliding " sledge " brake. 

The photograph in NSR wagons doesn't show the bottom part of the sliding bit or is very clear if it had wooden or steel brake shoes. The drawing that goes with the photograph has been drawn with steel shoes but I am of the opinion that they are in fact wooden. To me I think it makes sense that the early 10 ton vans had wooden shoes and the later 20 ton vans had steel shoes.

Throwing caution to the wind I am going to go with the wooden variety. If anyone wishes to prove me wrong I will gladly eat humble pie.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have made some plates to represent the sliding sledge brake but I think they are over scale.

I have also being modifying some of my own castings for the wooden brake shoes but I'm not over happy with the progress on these. I may cut some out of double sided copper clad strip.

20210201_170348.jpg

20210201_134726.jpg

20210201_165517.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

I have put the cross shaft for the brakgear in but I have not soldered them in yet. But I have soldered the tumblers and brake activaters in readiness for the brake shoes. Still to make are the brake push rods which will be next. 

20210201_214453.jpg

20210202_141231.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

First side done. I have soldered the brake shoes to the W-irons so that it all comes apart for painting but I haven't soldered the cross shaft in yet. The brake push rods are just folded over at the tumbler end and will be glue up solid after painting. Just the other side to do now before I start on interesting bit making the outside guards handle and connecting brackets. Now it is in you will not be able to see much of it with the footboards on.

20210202_152100.jpg

20210202_152156.jpg

20210202_191240.jpg

20210202_191219.jpg

Edited by airnimal
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, airnimal said:

I have soldered the brake shoes to the W-irons so that it all comes apart for painting but I haven't soldered the cross shaft in yet.

Is there a risk of short circuits?