S7 scratch building

• RMweb Premium

Although I don't appear to have done alot it has taken several hours to put the V-irons on and get it up on it's wheels. I managed to get glue on the body sides at the end but hopefully it is where the corner plates go on so I will be able to hide the mistake.  

20210501_151918.jpg

20210501_151942.jpg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

I have started to put the ironwork on the body and cut a few marks in the wood where it's had a hard life. The centre door plate to protect the door is slightly off centre in the photograph and the bottom of one corner plate is damaged. 

I will probably leave it for now and go and do a few miles on the bike. A few friends are going out this morning in Cheshire so there won't be to many hills. I don't always want to go but the alternatives will be worse in the long run.

20210502_084950.jpg

16199423967778603815602537259245.jpg

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

After a day with our grandsons life gets back to less frenetic pace.

I have started to rub the washers I glued on yesterday to a more reasonable thickness before drilling out to accept . 7mm rivets or coach bolts.  This is going to be a long process, so I will only do a few at a time.

20210505_201243.jpg

20210505_201550.jpg

20210505_201607.jpg

Edited by airnimal
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Mike, a diorama is an excellent idea, if you feel a full layout isn’t achievable. It only needs to be 3’ to 4’ long and can go anywhere. Compact, but big enough to be able to show your lovely work in a realistic setting. I’m a big fan of them! Hope the clear out goes well - it’s hard chucking stuff away but sometimes I think a) if I haven’t used it for a couple of years am I likely to in the future and b) life is too short!!

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I agree. Several times I have started large ambitious layouts and never finished them. My current project of a 6’ long simple shunting layout has come together much more quickly, been more enjoyable, and is nearly finished after just a few months. A small layout or diorama also allows more detail to be incorporated in a reasonable timescale. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I have cut the brake handle and rack out of 12 thou nickel. I was going to use an Ambis rack until I looked at the photograph and noticed the the rack only had 5 peg holes in it. The Ambis ones have many more holes in them so one of them would not look like the prototype wagon. It was only after when taking the photograph that I noticed the middle hole was out of line, so I will have to make a replacement. 

Went out again on my bike yesterday which felt a little easier than last week so I must keep at it. 

20210510_134325.jpg

20210510_134346.jpg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, airnimal said:

prostate cancer

I have been told that all men would eventually get this, if nothing else got them first. Mind you, we might have to live to be 150 to prove it.

Still, something always gets you in (or near to) the end...

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Yes, it is apparently far more common than is generally realised.  I understand that the majority of men die with it, but rather fewer of it.  Bleak subject.  I wish Michael a very long and relaxed remission.

atb

Simon

• Agree 9
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I managed to get an hour at dinnertime even though we had the grandsons today to look at the underframe parts. After putting the bits in Birchwood black I bent the brakegear and then broke it completely trying to straighten it. So it will be another replacement build later on. 

As for the cancer I'm completely fine with it. It helps if you have all the information to hand with everything explained. Prostate cancer is one of the most treatable if caught early, and I am told by my doctor mine is at an early stage. If we are to believe everything we are told by the media, one in two people will get cancer in there lifetime.  So it's my turn saving one other person from getting it. 

I think it helps having a positive outlook on these things. My wife worries about everything and won't even mention the word cancer.

20210512_173646.jpg

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 11

I was torn between 'friendly supportive', 'like', and 'agree' and would like to have clicked all three.  You are exactly right, Mike, a positive outlook and putting things in perspective is everything in these situations.

Jim

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

Mike,

I was diagnosed with Prostate Cancer six years ago, with a Gleason score of 7. The support from the local NHS was superb. I was given the choice of a prostatectomy or radiotherapy and opted for the former. at Addenbrookes, Cambridge.  Their follow up was great and I now only have an annual PSA blood test to keep a check on things.

I got the impression that the older you are when diagnosed then PC is less aggressive/develops slower.  

Since my diagnosis I have discovered quite a few others, modellers and friends, who have also been diagnosed with PC. They are all still going strong.

Jol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5