• RMweb Gold

What I hope is an important step forward with the layout was taken this afternoon, in that I have finally braved the elements (nice, mild afternoon), gone outside and turned the heater on in the shed to warm it up and have sprayed the track on 'Bethesda Sidings', first red oxide primer and then (once dry) with a Precision track colour aerosol. Photos to follow.

The Precision paint will form a base colour for further track painting and weathering, after which the ballasting (or insertion of grunge, gunk and weeds) can begin.

• Like 9

Hi

You don't have a problem getting the 'dried ' paint off the rail heads leaving it to dry overnight then?

How do you remove it? Some thinners on a cloth/cotton bud or mild abrasiveor other method?

I've not sprayed my track like this before but I've always wipe the paint off the rail heads straight away when straying with the brush when painting the rail sides as I've been worried the paint would either have an adverse effect on the rail or just be difficult to remove.

Cheers Bill

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, treggyman said:

Hi

You don't have a problem getting the 'dried ' paint off the rail heads leaving it to dry overnight then?

How do you remove it? Some thinners on a cloth/cotton bud or mild abrasiveor other method?

I've not sprayed my track like this before but I've always wipe the paint off the rail heads straight away when straying with the brush when painting the rail sides as I've been worried the paint would either have an adverse effect on the rail or just be difficult to remove.

Cheers Bill

Hi Bill, 

I use a small block of wood about 3 cm square, with a long handle glued to it and a small square of cotton fabric held in place round the edges of the wood with a rubber band.

When the paint is still damp, I give the rail heads an initial clean, with the cotton fabric dampened with cellulose thinners.

When the paint has dried a day later, the same procedure is used to clean the rail heads properly.  The cellulose thinners takes no prisoners when it comes to the paint on the rail heads, although you do need to change the cotton fabric quite frequently. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 7

Hi Captain

Thanks for the reply....Very informative & useful....

I need to do my track on Hendra so I'll give your method a go......

Cellulose thinners certainly take no prisoners.....Not only to paint......

Good ventilation & suitable face mask essential if doing indoors.....

Cheers Bill

On 15/02/2019 at 15:10, Captain Kernow said:

The painting process yesterday:

First, point blade areas were masked off, to prevent paint gumming up moving/sliding parts (will be painted by hand later):

20190214_150205.jpg.5ba4eccab4936dcfd553d1c00bfc6f94.jpg

The unmasked areas of track and baseboard were then sprayed with red oxide primer in the shed:

20190214_152800.jpg.25d1835499220de3c95f23c76ccd3990.jpg

When that was dry, a Precision track colour was sprayed on:

20190214_153544.jpg.757494f06989c9749cf687962213cede.jpg

When the precision track colour was touch-dry, the layout was taken back into the house and the paint allowed to harden further overnight. I then spent some time this afternoon, wiping the paint from the rail heads:

20190215_144728.jpg.17fe939fdbdb67541439e9a2b9667558.jpg

20190215_144755.jpg.ba95e14a7a5e355ca0786e45a4072c5f.jpg

I will let the paint harden off a bit more, then the painting and weathering of individual rail sides and sleepers can begin.

CK, 

That step by step method is very useful. It's great to see how you manage to create such realistic, weathered trackwork - I have admired it since Engine Wood days! I have learned a lot, and will follow it for my next project, so thanks very much for sharing. 

David

Edited by south_tyne
Spelling
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

A necessary bit of rather messy work yesterday and today.

The roadway to access the goods shed had to be installed, for which tile grout has been used.

Some balsa 'guides' were installed first and a thin layer of PVA brushed on. An initial layer of tile grout was then applied yesterday afternoon and allowed to harden off until this afternoon.

I then applied a further layer to bring the road way up to rail level. This will be sanded smooth when the tile grout has really hardened off and I am satisfied that it hasn't shrunk in such a way as to highlight the sleepers below (the main reason for two layers of grout):

20190224_144134.jpg.96034a5f901479c347743eb0cbe259a0.jpg

20190224_144151.jpg.8c31d4670e1b8dfc711f4b58ae088484.jpg

• Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, bgman said:

Coming along matey, may I ask what make of tile grout you are using please ?

G

I always use quality stuff Grahame.  'Unibond' or 'Tetrion' which also come in grey and beige.

Edited by Re6/6
  • Informative/Useful 1

18 minutes ago, Re6/6 said:

I always use quality stuff Grahame.  'Unibond' or 'Tetrion' which also come in grey and beige.

Thank you John much obliged.

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Re6/6 said:

'Fraid all I had was bog standard B&Q, but it seems to be hardening off OK.

I'll wait another day or so before I start sanding it.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Work has been proceeding on buffer stops and a brick built yard building, but I am being increasingly vexed by the question of why the Vale of Radnor Light Railway would need an ex-LBSCR 'Terrier' 0-6-0T, when it already has a variety of former main line and industrial types available.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

8 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

but I am being increasingly vexed by the question of why the Vale of Radnor Light Railway would need an ex-LBSCR 'Terrier' 0-6-0T,

Being a responsible corporate member of the local community, they have bought / hired / borrowed it for a summer / holiday excursion service to raise money for a local charity...

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

Go on....you know that you want to.....or have you?!:biggrin_mini2:

Good to see that the saga is back!

No, not yet.

And should they place an order with the locomotive works in Kent or the one in South Yorkshire?

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

35 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

No, not yet.

And should they place an order with the locomotive works in Kent or the one in South Yorkshire?

Well all the money was on the Yorkshire Terrier but apparently it has orbital hypertelorism.

The Kent version has stick on buffers though, some people like that sort of thing.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

No, not yet.

One of each breed will do nicely. Different eras so you can be a clever CK.

Ar$£

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

One of each breed will do nicely.

Well, there is a locomotive dealer in Cornwall who may have an earlier version, believed to be in a blue livery, which might do for starters.

Blue is pretty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

A pair of Lanarkshire Models GWR buffer stops built recently for the layout (I've since added cosmetic chairs):

20190310_145535.jpg.d3e28c3251f5cef54b4e54fb7760e3e5.jpg

A Scalescenes brick yard office also under construction (I've deviated a bit from the instructions, in case anyone else has built one of these):

20190321_160319.jpg.e1b56e42fc46a66a8c06bddd6580d6dc.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2