• RMweb Premium

CAK, must admit that I'd missed this snippet....

The Reverend Cornelius Tooth of Titley Priory wrote to British Railways, suggesting the introduction of Bulleid ‘air smoothed’ pacifics, which he felt would ease the passage of trains through Ffronddyrys Tunnel and thus save on coal consumption. Perhaps unsurprisingly, he also did not receive a reply.

• Like 2

One of these would be at home on 'The Sidings' l would've thought!

So what are we looking at? Obviously plastic wheels, blue enamel paint left over from repainting the front gate, and as for the 'driver' - even entry level mouldings for the kiddies have better defined facial features these days (oh, I do hope he doesn't see this!!). Three link couplings - its just a visual thing but they do look massively over-scale?

In fairness, the track is quite convincing, (although a strange lack of weeds/vegetation and there may be scaling issues with the photo backdrop). 

So, a top score in the 'does my prototype look like a Poundshop model' category .

Oh, and knock the floods off. That lighting is far too Mediterranean for a British prototype shot!

• Like 1

If Noddy built a locomotive..........

It would look better than this.........!!!!!!

Is it me or is it sitting on it's haunches, I suppose it makes it look like it's going faster than it actually is.

I can see them coupling up at the rear and then turning around only for someone to say - 'well the coupling fitted at the other end?'

Edited by KNP

• RMweb Gold

Just caught up with your thread Tim! Any invites accepted yet for shows?

Not yet Martin, but the plan is to build more 'cameos' in due course, so the maxim will be 'small is beautiful' in future. I already have another two or three cameo layout plans in my head, in fact the next one after 'Bethesda Sidings' has already been started, although that was a few years ago. Still, it has a baseboard frame and all the pointwork completed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

An annoyance was reported in the workshops of Kernow Towers last night, when the simple 0-4-0 chassis for the 'Planet' diesel, intended for the Vale of Radnor Light Railway, was found to not quite sit four-square on all wheels on a plate of glass, thus impeding current pick-up. It was the first time that I'd had the chassis running, which features a High Level 'special' gearbox, providing two axle drive. These Roxey kits normally recommend the use of a 'Spud' motor bogie, but the High Level option will provide much smoother running.

Anyway, with hindsight I realise that I should have installed a simple compensated rocking axle at one of the two ends, so the chassis and gearbox will now have to be completely dismantled for this to be done, but at least it should provide all wheel current pick-up in future.

Dear Sir,

Having just woken up to Railway Modelling and searched for "Small is Beautiful " on my inter web tablet I have been directed to the Parish of RMWeb.

Having discovered the history and musings of both you and your fellow parishioners regarding the delights of the GWR and its oddities I will now set up my " Follow this Account " for future reference.

May I wish you all the best with your small layout Captain of Kernow and whilst I attempt to find some jewellery, which may or may not be railway related, I trust that your unfortunate finger related problems don't impinge upon steady progress.

Kindest regards

Al Atecomer

Edited by bgman
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well, I'm happy to report that I dismantled the chassis earlier today, and re-assembled it this afternoon, and provided a 10BA bolt, acting on the top surface of a section of brass tube enclosing the rear 2mm driven axle and held in place by an assembly of 10BA nut and washers, soldered to the rear frame spacer. That means that the front two axles and the 10BA bolt now provide the 3-point suspension required for basic compensation. I also replaced the pick ups with lighter gauge p/b wire, and I'm happy to say that the loco now runs much more sweetly, and more reliably too. I'm not sure what gearing High Level provided with their 'special', but it's at least 80:1, if not something like 108:1.

post-57-0-33451500-1496431762.jpg

• Like 2

Very pleased to see you've spent time on the chassis resulting in better running qualities. I think, having read your post #65 the decision to use this running gear as opposed to the Spud thingy you'll be more content with the loco.

I've only used a Potato, sorry Spud once and to be honest, even chipping it ( yes I know ) the running still wasn't the best :(

Looking forward to more updates.

• RMweb Gold

More testing of points: with some of the industrials (all Pecketts in these images, as it happens) that will see use on the Vale of Radnor Light Railway, that has running powers into the B.R. yard at Bethesda Sidings:

post-57-0-22118700-1496603118.jpg

post-57-0-44162200-1496603187.jpg

post-57-0-50802600-1496603199.jpg

• Like 18

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Work continues somewhat slowly on 'Bethesda Sidings', given that there are no baseboards yet, but there are still things that need to be done in advance of that time. It's just that it's not always clear exactly what that work is:

post-57-0-89144400-1499787812.jpg