A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Bethesda Sidings

• RMweb Gold

The Vale of Radnor Light Railway's ex-LNER J72 'Jennifer' was loaned to the South Polden Light Railway in Somerset in the late 1950s, whilst the resident loco was under repair. Here she is on her way back to Radnorshire, waiting a path towards Camerton and Bristol TM at 'Engine Wood':

IMG_9245.JPG.086f206bd7c46b3a203a8bdd1d4ada06.JPG

• Like 13

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not much progress to report of late, this mainly being due to 'all (modelling) hands on deck' to assist the Balcombe crew, prior to the forthcoming appearance of the massive Ouse Valley Viaduct and Balcombe Station P4 roundy-roundy at Scaleforum at Aylesbury on 28th and 29th September next.

Some things have happened in the meantime, though.

I've completed all the buffer stops for the Balcombe layout and have found that my proposed weathering methods (using powders) for the buffer stops appear to have been satisfactory, so these methods will also be used on the five buffer stops for Bethesda (which are ready for weathering and were nearly done this afternoon, had I not decided to have a green tea instead).

Also (and more significantly), I am indebted to Andy Y for his fantastic work on the backscene for Bethesda Sidings. He's stitched my panorama of Welsh borders landscape photos together, adjusted the height (to match layout topography), colours and contrasts, to produce a superb job. I've now had two versions of the backscene printed off (one is a sunny day and the other is a more muted, more typical cloudy day) and the backscenes will be fitted to the layout when work resumes after Scaleforum.

The backscenes were printed in one piece, 7' in length by 1' in height, by a local printer on a smooth- surfaced plasticky, canvassy kind of material.

Edited by Captain Kernow
Art, darling.
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

This is all sounding extremely spiffing. 

Even the Works Forecat is getting excited.

20180211_114105.jpg.cf1c866722772ffb53d26dc56b7a0b60.jpg

Edited by NHY 581
typing with hooves
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
16 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

stitched together' using photoshop, adjusted the height to suit the planned layout topography and then muted the colours

That was the easy bit! The time-consuming bits were removing 21st century power lines and tramlines in the crops. All worth it though. Will you have some fence/wall/hedge towards the back to disguise the join?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

That was the easy bit! The time-consuming bits were removing 21st century power lines and tramlines in the crops. All worth it though. Will you have some fence/wall/hedge towards the back to disguise the join?

Oh, yes, sorry, I did mean to mention that but it's getting late, that's my excuse anyway! Brilliant job, thanks, anyway.

Yes, there will be scenery to disguise the join, certainly walling and hedges.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Beware, O Leader, a further crop of clamouring RMwebbers, snaps in hand, begging for your services. As if you didn't have a day-job, too!

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Beware, O Leader, a further crop of clamouring RMwebbers, snaps in hand, begging for your services. As if you didn't have a day-job, too!

I'm very selective. ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

I knew he was getting a discount on the pasties! :P

Wonder what I'd get for Welsh cakes.........

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

A soggy bottom.

"Ooh, you are awful,..........but I like you"

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

This afternoon, by virtue of a combination of some sunshine and the heater being switched on in the shed, I managed to spray a few things for the layout, namely the loading gauge, the weighbridge, the cosmetic point levers and a couple of warning signs.

The way is now clearing for the weighbridge and associated office to be bedded into the layout and the ground surface applied around it. After that, I hope to start going green.

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

More ground preparation and painting done over the weekend, so I can't put off going green for much longer.

How nice. Will there be flowers? We like flowers.....

• Funny 1