A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Bethesda Sidings

• RMweb Gold

I should mention, because I forgot in my earlier post, that the trees were originally very kind and unsolicited gifts from John Farmer (Re6/6). John is one of the best tree makers around, having followed the methods employed by Gordon Gravett. 

Because we weren't sure at the time of the required depth for these half-relief trees, I have since trimmed most of the armatures and removed some of the original foliage and also applied new foliage of a slightly darker hue over the top, in order to better match the existing colours on the layout.

This afternoon I started making some patches of thorns and scrub, from teased out postiche (theatrical hair packaged up for modellers), sprayed with hair spray and different colours of foliage sprinkled on, and then all sealed up with a further spray from the hair product.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

With the track having had a clean, a bit more testing was done.

7795 is one of the regular pannier tanks on the goods services from Leominster:

20200209_144033.jpg.58ae274fc0fcff3df1a38811b699f9d3.jpg

In the mid-1960s, British Railways trialled a D95XX 0-6-0 on the branch and tested clearances etc.:

20200209_144528.jpg.410a63e4d12db5e7d398b88cbd12b26a.jpg

20200209_144843.jpg.de159b006abcc12f5b84195ece3d29bd.jpg

20200209_144737.jpg.965f3e06b42496ca321b83ec63b8f430.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Well, apart from 'Rule 1', the Vale of Radnor Light Railway (a member of the Association of Independent Light Railways) is given running powers from the junction at Capel Bethesda, into the goods yard, for the exchange of traffic between the light railway and the B.R. system.

Normally based in Somerset on the South Polden Light Railway (another member of the Association), this small Black Hawthorn 0-4-0ST was loaned to the VoRLR for a few weeks to cover an unexpected shortage of motive power and is seen here in the B.R. yard at Bethesda Siding

But of course it was!:P

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

There are a small number of my locos that I am reluctant to take the weathering tools to. No logic to it. Can't explain why!

Having said that, some weathering powders might get used at some point, but the Black Hawthorn was always a well-loved loco and looked after well by it's crews.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I, on the other hand, am plotting to tinker with the dear little Pecketts with a view to providing a more lived in look. 

Rob. 

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2