A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Bethesda Sidings

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

As far as the extensive research I have done shows, no Terriers were ever used at Munitions factories.

Ever.

But that's what They want you to believe!

Keep the faith - the truth is out there.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, south_tyne said:

Fascinating to learn of the fate of that pair of Terriers. I have heard rumours that one made it to more northerly climes to operate on the little known Weardale Light Railway.

Greetings, O fellow Director of an Outrageously Improbable Light Railway!

I have no doubt that you are correct in your assertions about the Northern Terriers.

Has your railway applied to join the Association of Independent Light Railways, by the way?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, south_tyne said:

what were the main traffic flows on the South Polden Light Railway in latter years? I presume it was a goods-only concern? 

The South Polden Light railway was indeed a goods-only concern in its latter years. There was a rudimentary passenger service until the 1930s. The owner, one Holman F. Kernow actually tried to keep the passenger service going and bought a couple of old GWR 4-wheel coaches in the early 1920s, but even he couldn't make it pay.

The main goods traffic for much of its existence was local agricultural traffic, plus some domestic coal inwards. In later years especially, peat from the South Polden Levels, which was processed in a number of peat works, became more important, especially once the early precursors to the modern 'garden centre' began to spring up.

But even that wouldn't have been enough to sustain the line, without the Army opening a military Stores Depot near Westonzoyland in the mid-1930s. WD locos were permitted to operate over the light railway and in later years, tended to be seen at the Bleakhouse Road end of the line as much as the light railway's own motive power.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Greetings, O fellow Director of an Outrageously Improbable Light Railway!

I have no doubt that you are correct in your assertions about the Northern Terriers.

Has your railway applied to join the Association of Independent Light Railways, by the way?

I can confirm the said Terrier plies its way along the lonely route in windswept Weardale, but it has until now escaped being captured through photographic evidence. 

No it hasn't... how does one go about joining such an esteemed organisation? I hope it does not involve too many bizarre initiation rituals..... 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, south_tyne said:

how does one go about joining such an esteemed organisation? I hope it does not involve too many bizarre initiation rituals..... 

No further action is required other than to turn up (preferably in person but in an aesthetically conceptual form will do) at the Taunton Members Day on 28th April, where the ritual consumption of a pasty will guarantee you membership of this august organisation for life.

Plenty of other RMWebbers do not, therefore, realise that they have also joined over the years (someone forgot to tell them), so I am now patiently awaiting the building of many more outrageously improbable light railways. One can only live in hope.

Many thanks for the kind comments about 'Engine Wood', by the way. I sold the layout a year ago, to make room in revised domestic railway modelling arrangements for the plethora of further light (and other) railways that are still knocking around in my head. Whether they will all (or even any) see the light of day, is another matter entirely. 'Engine Wood' now resides in Ireland.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

The South Polden Light railway was indeed a goods-only concern in its latter years. There was a rudimentary passenger service until the 1930s. The owner, one Holman F. Kernow actually tried to keep the passenger service going and bought a couple of old GWR 4-wheel coaches in the early 1920s, but even he couldn't make it pay.

The main goods traffic for much of its existence was local agricultural traffic, plus some domestic coal inwards. In later years especially, peat from the South Polden Levels, which was processed in a number of peat works, became more important, especially once the early precursors to the modern 'garden centre' began to spring up.

But even that wouldn't have been enough to sustain the line, without the Army opening a military Stores Depot near Westonzoyland in the mid-1930s. WD locos were permitted to operate over the light railway and in later years, tended to be seen at the Bleakhouse Road end of the line as much as the light railway's own motive power.

Thanks, that potted history is absolutely fascinating! I look forward to seeing more the light railway as your current and new projects advance. I'm also looking forward to seeing what you do in the big lads scale, as and when you commence on a 7mm scale layout...... there's an expectant audience (of at least one!!)

8 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

No further action is required other than to turn up (preferably in person but in an aesthetically conceptual form will do) at the Taunton Members Day on 28th April, where the ritual consumption of a pasty will guarantee you membership of this august organisation for life.

Plenty of other RMWebbers do not, therefore, realise that they have also joined over the years (someone forgot to tell them), so I am now patiently awaiting the building of many more outrageously improbable light railways. One can only live in hope.

Many thanks for the kind comments about 'Engine Wood', by the way. I sold the layout a year ago, to make room in revised domestic railway modelling arrangements for the plethora of further light (and other) railways that are still knocking around in my head. Whether they will all (or even any) see the light of day, is another matter entirely. 'Engine Wood' now resides in Ireland.

Excellent! Whether in person or remotely, but with you in spirit, I will ensure that I consume said pasty in order to gain membership to the esteemed organisation. My railway needs all the support it can get and linking up with this network could ensure its future as it ks somewhat limping along and in threat of receivership!

The more outrageous light railway schemes the better in my book. 

Engine Wood remains the pinnacle for me... it has inspired me so much over the years and continues to do so, over 20 years since I first saw it. Those images of 'Bunty' with her 16t minerals, exchanging coal with a Hymek, is my land of lost content! I'm pleased it has found a new home across the sea - that fella is a very lucky man.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, south_tyne said:

I look forward to seeing more the light railway as your current and new projects advance.

The SPLR is actually already in existence, as the light railway part of 'Bleakhouse Road'. This layout last went to a show in 2014, following which there was a modelling hiatus due to personal and domestic stuff. The fiddle yards were shared with 'Engine Wood', so they went to Ireland as part of the deal, but I have a cunning plan for a new dual-gauge turntably one, which will also serve the P4 layout 'Callow Lane'.

1 hour ago, south_tyne said:

I look forward to seeing more the light railway as your current and new projects advance. I'm also looking forward to seeing what you do in the big lads scale, as and when you commence on a 7mm scale layout...... there's an expectant audience (of at least one!!)

Planning is at a very sketchy and initial stage at the moment and is certainly not keeping pace with the shopping, but the overall theme will be similar to 'Bethesda Sidings', but slightly simpler track plan, if that were possible and possibly set a bit nearer to places like Oswestry. My Minerva 8750 pannier is being given a Croes Newydd number.

Edited by Captain Kernow
Reasons of tidiness and nothing more, Guv'nor, and that's the truth and no mistake.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Gor blimey! 

Eeez a gent an nar mistake. 

I takes me cap orf  to ewe, see if I darn't. 

Rob  

2 hours ago, south_tyne said:

Whether in person or remotely, but with you in spirit, I will ensure that I consume said pasty in order to gain membership to the esteemed organisation. 

Blimey ! 

Have you got one of they touch / taste / smelly vision interactive screens ? 

And they all said " It were grim up North ! "

Seems you're a leader in Technology.

V . Irtual

• Funny 1

13 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

The SPLR is actually already in existence, as the light railway part of 'Bleakhouse Road'. This layout last went to a show in 2014, following which there was a modelling hiatus due to personal and domestic stuff. The fiddle yards were shared with 'Engine Wood', so they went to Ireland as part of the deal, but I have a cunning plan for a new dual-gauge turntably one, which will also serve the P4 layout 'Callow Lane'.

Planning is at a very sketchy and initial stage at the moment and is certainly not keeping pace with the shopping, but the overall theme will be similar to 'Bethesda Sidings', but slightly simpler track plan, if that were possible and possibly set a bit nearer to places like Oswestry. My Minerva 8750 pannier is being given a Croes Newydd number.

Ah yes, you have jogged my memory and I remember reading about Bleakhouse Road in RM a few years ago too. I'll dig out the article for a read through. Funnily enough, it was featured in the same issue as my mate's 009 layout so, though I don't often keep hold of old magazines, I have kept that one with it featuring a couple of cracking layouts. 

It sounds like the 0 gauge idea is in the embryonic stages but I have no doubt it will be worth the wait when it does emerge into the scene. Nothing wrong with stockpiling items for the future too. I understand the dilemma of having lots of ideas and plans for projects, I am somewhat like that too. I need to focus, but my Ixion Hudswell Clarke and handful of wagons will hopefully form the basis of a little project moving forward. Temptation is a terrible thing though and I keep looking at a Minerva Peckett and thinking that it would be a good 'shed mate' to keep the HC company!

Anyway I digress.... I will stop waffling and let you at back to Bethesda!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bgman said:

Blimey ! 

Have you got one of they touch / taste / smelly vision interactive screens ? 

And they all said " It were grim up North ! "

Seems you're a leader in Technology.

V . Irtual

Oh it's still grim enough in the provinces!

Mind, rumour has it the electric lightbulb has even reached these northerly parts too! :rofl: Having said that, I've just pulled on my flat cap and am off to walk the whippet. No pasties for tea today, bread and dripping on the menu.... plenty to go round if you fancy some!?

• Funny 1

I've just had another mighty fine vegan sausage roll for tea.... I don't know why I am sharing this here but felt I needed to tell the world to keep the pastry-based discussion live. Apologies CK...... 

However, I will supplement my nonsense with something vaguely sensible.... I really like the way you have weathered the track for Bethesda, it looks so realistic. It's interesting to read about the dry brushing technique for the sleepers. If you don't mind me asking, what colours do you use for the rail sides and then for the sleepers?

Cheers! 

PS - thought I would post in this little corner rather than cluttering up your proper layout thread with my mindless drivel!  

Edited by south_tyne
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, south_tyne said:

However, I will supplement my nonsense with something vaguely sensible.... I really like the way you have weathered the track for Bethesda, it looks so realistic. It's interesting to read about the dry brushing technique for the sleepers. If you don't mind me asking, what colours do you use for the rail sides and then for the sleepers?

Well, the process starts with a base coat of Railmatch track colour (from an aerosol can), which is allowed to dry off very thoroughly.

I then use a mix of Humbrol enamels, almost all matt colours, to paint the individual sleepers. These colours are usually a dark brown, dark grey, white, black, Matt Leather 62, yellow, Metalcote black and a brick red. These are mixed up as required on a bit of old Cornflakes packet, thinners added as required.

Most sleepers are then individually painted, some to represent a 'fair' condition sleeper with a degree of brown in the colour, some to represent knackered old ones, with more grey in the colour and some to represent new(ish) ones, with more black in them to represent the creosote (fewer new ones in a yard like this).

Some of those sleepers which have been painted as described above are then over-painted with further shades, to represent differing stages in the weathering process.

Finally, most sleepers (whether repainted as described above) or the few left in the base sprayed track colour, are dry-brushed with another mix of the above colours - some black(ish), some grey(ish). I use a truly knackered and ruined old brush for this.

Next will come the painting of the rail sides, or rather, the over-painting of the rail sides, which have also already been sprayed with the base track colour. In some cases, I may leave the rail sides alone and just leave the Railmatch track colour as it is, although ensuring that the chairs match the colour of the rails. Other sections, more regularly used, will have more Matt Leather (62) in the mix. Less-used bits of track, including buffer stops, may have more long-term rust in the mix, which is a darker colour, perhaps almost with a shade of purple or similar.

That may all sound rather technical but it reality it all boils down to a somewhat hit and miss process, which I usually make up as I go along.

I do wipe the tops of the rail heads with cellulose thinners immediately after each painting session, to keep the track clean.

The ops of the wing rails etc. will be coloured at the very end of the process.

When all the painting is finished and the paint has really hardened off, I will then start the ballasting, which in the case of 'Bethesda Sidings', will consist of a mix of 'N' gauge ballast, ash, vegetation and whatever suitable gunk-ish effect I can contrive, probably using some DAS modelling clay mixed in with the already-glued on ballast.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Splendid overview of the Bethesda permanent way department's approach to such matters,CK. 

I only wish such attention was paid by the equivalent types at Bleat Wharf.

Rob. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Well, the process starts with a base coat of Railmatch track colour (from an aerosol can), which is allowed to dry off very thoroughly.

I then use a mix of Humbrol enamels, almost all matt colours, to paint the individual sleepers. These colours are usually a dark brown, dark grey, white, black, Matt Leather 62, yellow, Metalcote black and a brick red. These are mixed up as required on a bit of old Cornflakes packet, thinners added as required.

Most sleepers are then individually painted, some to represent a 'fair' condition sleeper with a degree of brown in the colour, some to represent knackered old ones, with more grey in the colour and some to represent new(ish) ones, with more black in them to represent the creosote (fewer new ones in a yard like this).

Some of those sleepers which have been painted as described above are then over-painted with further shades, to represent differing stages in the weathering process.

Finally, most sleepers (whether repainted as described above) or the few left in the base sprayed track colour, are dry-brushed with another mix of the above colours - some black(ish), some grey(ish). I use a truly knackered and ruined old brush for this.

Next will come the painting of the rail sides, or rather, the over-painting of the rail sides, which have also already been sprayed with the base track colour. In some cases, I may leave the rail sides alone and just leave the Railmatch track colour as it is, although ensuring that the chairs match the colour of the rails. Other sections, more regularly used, will have more Matt Leather (62) in the mix. Less-used bits of track, including buffer stops, may have more long-term rust in the mix, which is a darker colour, perhaps almost with a shade of purple or similar.

That may all sound rather technical but it reality it all boils down to a somewhat hit and miss process, which I usually make up as I go along.

I do wipe the tops of the rail heads with cellulose thinners immediately after each painting session, to keep the track clean.

The ops of the wing rails etc. will be coloured at the very end of the process.

When all the painting is finished and the paint has really hardened off, I will then start the ballasting, which in the case of 'Bethesda Sidings', will consist of a mix of 'N' gauge ballast, ash, vegetation and whatever suitable gunk-ish effect I can contrive, probably using some DAS modelling clay mixed in with the already-glued on ballast.

That's fantastic, thank you for replying and explaining and in such great detail. I really appreciate it. Clearly it is a time consuming method but it is defintely worth it given the final result.

So it sounds like a case of trial and error but the technique has obviously been honed over a number of years. I used to admire the permanent way on Engine Wood so much, so it is obviously something you got a real eye for. Seeing the images of EW in the magazine articles, I used to doubt that it was OO, surely you are fibbing and it was P4! :haha:

When moving on to ballisting, do you just employ the traditional method of tamping it down and then using dliute-PVA to set?

Sorry for asking so many questions, and thanks again for sharing your wisdom! 

Edited by south_tyne
Stupidity...
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, south_tyne said:

When moving on to ballisting, do you just employ the traditional method of tamping it down and then using dliute-PVA to set?

Thanks for the very kind comments!

My ballasting methods vary, depending on whether the track has full-depth or partial-depth sleepers.

All of the plain line on 'Bethesda Sidings' is C&L flexi-track, which has thin sleepers. The method here is:

- cut the plastic webbing away between every sleeper

- paint and weather the track

- get ballast/gunk/grot mix sorted out and ready to lay

- paint neat PVA between the sleepers (I usually manage about 3 or 4 sleeper bays at a time, before the glue starts to go off), sprinkle the ballast on top, perhaps tamp down a bit and leave to dry.

- Vacuum excess off when glue is dry (if feeling virtuous, save vacuumings by putting old nylon stocking over vacuum cleaner nozzle

- Weather track/ballast combination as necessary (perhaps a 'blow-over' with an airbrush mix or perhaps some water colours applied with a brush to dirty up areas were locos might stand and drip oil, for example)

For full-depth sleepers (such as Exactoscale 'New Track'), I tamp dry ballast in place, dampen with a misting of IPA, sprayed from a little bottle and then dropper 'Klear' onto the ballast. When dry, I then dropper dilute PVA with tad of washing up liquid mixed in. I find that the 'Klear' dries a bit brittle, but the addition of the dilute PVA sets it nice and hard, which is a consideration for a portable layout.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

17 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Thanks for the very kind comments!

My ballasting methods vary, depending on whether the track has full-depth or partial-depth sleepers.

All of the plain line on 'Bethesda Sidings' is C&L flexi-track, which has thin sleepers. The method here is:

- cut the plastic webbing away between every sleeper

- paint and weather the track

- get ballast/gunk/grot mix sorted out and ready to lay

- paint neat PVA between the sleepers (I usually manage about 3 or 4 sleeper bays at a time, before the glue starts to go off), sprinkle the ballast on top, perhaps tamp down a bit and leave to dry.

- Vacuum excess off when glue is dry (if feeling virtuous, save vacuumings by putting old nylon stocking over vacuum cleaner nozzle

- Weather track/ballast combination as necessary (perhaps a 'blow-over' with an airbrush mix or perhaps some water colours applied with a brush to dirty up areas were locos might stand and drip oil, for example)

For full-depth sleepers (such as Exactoscale 'New Track'), I tamp dry ballast in place, dampen with a misting of IPA, sprayed from a little bottle and then dropper 'Klear' onto the ballast. When dry, I then dropper dilute PVA with tad of washing up liquid mixed in. I find that the 'Klear' dries a bit brittle, but the addition of the dilute PVA sets it nice and hard, which is a consideration for a portable layout.

Thanks again for such an in-depth response, I really appreciate it.

I hadn't thought of using different methods depending on the sleeper depth, but that makes perfect sense. Again, it sounds like a time consuming process, particularly painting pva between the 'thin' sleepers, but it is definitely worth that investment in time given the results. 

Thanks again for sharing CK! 

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, south_tyne said:

it sounds like a time consuming process, particularly painting pva between the 'thin' sleepers

Well, it is, but I find that the following things help:

- a good nights sleep the night before

- some calming music

- Napoleon brandy

• Friendly/supportive 2

29 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Well, it is, but I find that the following things help:

- a good nights sleep the night before

- some calming music

- Napoleon brandy

Sound advice... from a masochistic point of view there may be something theraputic in the process....

• Like 1