A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Bethesda Sidings

• RMweb Gold

I had the first instance of locomotion under electrical power this morning, when one of my panniers tested a piece of track.

Very carefully drafted CK....a new career in the Spin Service clearly beckons...so...was it succcessful? ;)

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 1

I had the first instance of locomotion under electrical power this morning, when one of my panniers tested a piece of track.

I would expect nothing less, proper loco.

G

• RMweb Gold

I believe that will his Lordship of Salisbury. Here he is in less well to do times.

Rob.

post-14122-0-45856400-1532865724_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

I believe that will his Lordship of Salisbury. Here he is in less well to do times.

Rob.

If I may correct that most excellent fellow, but the loco in question  is called 'Plantagenet'. It is a Mercian kit of a Peckett 'X' class 0-6-0ST, which is very similar to 'Lord Salisbury', hardly any difference to speak of, probably. Mercian did do a separate kit for 'Lord Salisbury', however, one of which I also purchased a few years ago but that one is to a slightly wider gauge than 'Plantagenet'.

Edited by Captain Kernow

• RMweb Gold

If I may correct that most excellent fellow, but the loco in question  is called 'Plantagenet'. It is a Mercian kit of a Peckett 'X' class 0-6-0ST, which is very similar to 'Lord Salisbury', hardly any difference to speak of, probably. Mercian did do a separate kit for 'Lord Salisbury', however, one of which I also purchased a few years ago but that one is to a slightly wider gauge than 'Plantagenet'.

Thank you CK. The correction is most welcome. Plantagenet looks to be a very fine, sturdy sort of chap. I must say should Hornby be so disposed to produce an outside cylinder, six coupled Peckett then I would venture it would be a top seller......certainly most welcome with me....

Rob

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Virtually all the track on the scenic section has now been laid:

post-57-0-20294100-1533069622.jpg

post-57-0-35108700-1533069634.jpg

post-57-0-75125200-1533069644.jpg

I have tested all the Cobalt point motors and finalised the layout diagram for the control panel.

I have also lost again at Scrabble to CTMK this evening.

• Like 6

Captain Kernow

I have come to the thread a bit late, as I am about to embark on a similar project in 7mm scale I have found your thread very interesting. I must admit in not reading in too much detail earlier postings, so I may have missed a few things, With regard to your turnouts, you have seemed to have successfully been able to add cosmetic chairs to them, just out of interest how was this achieved and were there any modifications needed to the chairs please

The camera always enlarges things and whilst the chairs look a little high, the overall look of the copperclad turnouts is most appealing and far better than turnouts without them, once ballasted they will stand out less in one way, but I imagine be visually far superior to copperclad turnouts without any

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Captain Kernow

I have come to the thread a bit late, as I am about to embark on a similar project in 7mm scale I have found your thread very interesting. I must admit in not reading in too much detail earlier postings, so I may have missed a few things, With regard to your turnouts, you have seemed to have successfully been able to add cosmetic chairs to them, just out of interest how was this achieved and were there any modifications needed to the chairs please

The camera always enlarges things and whilst the chairs look a little high, the overall look of the copperclad turnouts is most appealing and far better than turnouts without them, once ballasted they will stand out less in one way, but I imagine be visually far superior to copperclad turnouts without any

Hi John,

One of the ideas behind this project was to use various items that I had acquired over the years but which didn't fit into my current (and next) P4 project.

I also wanted a small OO layout that could stay put up at home and run my OO stock on.

I had already bought the lovely scratchbuilt goods shed and yard office from Paul Iliff, who built them a few years ago.

I also had some copper clad pointwork made by a good friend a few years ago (one was built in the early 1970s!) plus a point that I built a few years ago for an aborted project. These points were code 75 bullhead track soldered directly to the copperclad sleepers.

The older points all needed fettling up to a greater or lesser extent and the only new points I built were those forming the crossover at the end of the run round loop. I built these in the 'old fashioned' way to match the existing.

The chairs are all from the P4 Track Co. and are cut in half and trimmed on the inside face of the cut to ensure a snug fit against the rail. It's usually necessary also to trim the top of the chair, carefully. Each half chair is then glued in place with epoxy.

If I was starting completely from scratch, especially if doing this in P4 (which I have done) then I would solder a shim between the sleeper and the rail. For future projects a friend has had some bespoke shims etched from N/S, which takes most of the tedium out of cutting small but consistently sized bits of shim out.

Hi John,

One of the ideas behind this project was to use various items that I had acquired over the years but which didn't fit into my current (and next) P4 project.

I also wanted a small OO layout that could stay put up at home and run my OO stock on.

I had already bought the lovely scratchbuilt goods shed and yard office from Paul Iliff, who built them a few years ago.

I also had some copper clad pointwork made by a good friend a few years ago (one was built in the early 1970s!) plus a point that I built a few years ago for an aborted project. These points were code 75 bullhead track soldered directly to the copperclad sleepers.

The older points all needed fettling up to a greater or lesser extent and the only new points I built were those forming the crossover at the end of the run round loop. I built these in the 'old fashioned' way to match the existing.

The chairs are all from the P4 Track Co. and are cut in half and trimmed on the inside face of the cut to ensure a snug fit against the rail. It's usually necessary also to trim the top of the chair, carefully. Each half chair is then glued in place with epoxy.

If I was starting completely from scratch, especially if doing this in P4 (which I have done) then I would solder a shim between the sleeper and the rail. For future projects a friend has had some bespoke shims etched from N/S, which takes most of the tedium out of cutting small but consistently sized bits of shim out.

Thanks for the explanation, I sometimes use the odd copperclad timber (3 or 4 per turnout) with a shim between the rails and use plastic timbers the same thickness elsewhere, but with copperclad strip being so expensive now I tend to use either plastic or ply timbers with chairs, building the common crossings as subassemblies.

As well as building a small 7mm layout I have an inglenook layout planed in P4, where the scenic board is 4' x 1'. Baseboard is built, plan in Templot, have plenty of chairs, timbers, sleepers and rail, just no time. The 7 mm layout still in the planning stage, track plan based on Bembridge (turntable at the buffer stop, my stock though is a mixture of LSWR and GWR

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Further work on the control panel sees the fascia complete and a start made on the wiring behind. The first things to get wired up are the inputs for the two controller options and their 12v DC outputs. As such, I was able to control one of my locos on the test track using the new control panel earlier.

post-57-0-72584200-1533496938.jpg

post-57-0-02268100-1533496949.jpg

• Like 8

I think the words used in your neck of the wood is "proper job"  looks excellent and easy to follow

Tiz alright me ansome !

• RMweb Gold

I've made a start fitting the Cobalt point motors:

post-57-0-20132700-1533726761.jpg

post-57-0-23277400-1533726772.jpg

The 'spacer' pieces are 12mm ply (actually measures out at 11.5mm), which together with the thickness of the 6mm ply forming the baseboard top, is sufficient to ensure that the end of the Cobalt operating wire doesn't protrude above the tie bars (this was really by accident rather than design).

• Like 4

Interesting to read of your progress Captain, I am sure this is going to develop into a great little layout. I agree that your bottom is incredibly neat and tidy... impressive skills on show ;)

PS - cheeky question and somewhat off topic but, if I may be so bold to ask, do you have any plans for a 7mm scale layout in the pipeline? Or is one layout project enough to have on the go at any one time!

Well, there is a small 7mm project being thought about, almost a larger version of Bethesda Sidings, only with even less track!

Great! I look forward to seeing this come to light in due course......

I've been a massive fan of your projects since first reading about the wonderful Engine Wood in the RM as a teenager :)