A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Bethesda Sidings

• RMweb Gold

But are the correct points connected to the appropriate parts of the panel ?

Yes they are and apart from a brief kerfuffle with the DC polarity on the main track feeds, the tandem turnout is now fully wired up and I had a pannier running over it yesterday.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The whole layout from the tandem turnout is now wired and fully operational.

The next task will be to lay the single line across the board joint and into the fiddle yard, complete the associated wiring and ensure the track height is correct to match the cassettes with aluminium angle.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The layout has now been re-configured with the fiddle yard, to enable the short piece of straight track from the tandem turnout into the fiddle yard to be laid.

This will need to link up to my existing aluminium cassettes.

post-57-0-09268400-1534533999.jpg

post-57-0-06827200-1534534009.jpg

post-57-0-14784700-1534534017.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I've now started to lay the track across the board join between the main scenic board and the fiddle yard. This will incorporate reinforced arrangements using two copper clad sleepers on each side, plus some copper-clad paxolin where the track meets the aluminium angle track on the cassettes.

It is only a short section of track. This is what it looks like with the section of track cut to length but without the various C&L sleepers removed, to make way for the copper-clad sections:

post-57-0-15428000-1534606259.jpg

Next, some spaces were cut out of the cork underlay, which is approx 1mm thick, to allow for some rather more solid plasticard to be epoxied in place:

post-57-0-77123300-1534606266.jpg

Some plasticard (40 thou at the board join and 60 thou at the interface with the cassettes) was cut to shape and placed in the gaps:

post-57-0-33302000-1534606272.jpg

The copper-clad was then placed on top of the plasticard. The holes are of 0.7mm, which will allow cut-down Peco track pins to be added, for additional strength:

post-57-0-12913400-1534606280.jpg

Next, some of the plastic C&L sleepers were removed and the section of track put back in place:

post-57-0-82953600-1534606291.jpg

Having established that the piece of track fitted OK and that the right number of plastic sleepers had been removed, the piece of track was removed and the plasticard was then epoxied into place. A little while later, I then glued the sleepers onto the plasticard, had some lunch and then came back after lunch and pinned the copper-clad down.

One tip here, learned a few years ago the hard way, is to gap the copperclad on the underside as well as the top surface (assuming it's double-sided copper-clad), as otherwise the insulation on the track pins can wear away and induce a short circuit.

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The section of track has now been glued and soldered in position.

post-57-0-59850300-1534616622.jpg

When the glue has fully gone off, I will disc cut the rail across the join and wire up a connection from the fiddle yard to the main board.

I will also need to complete a 'docking station' for the aluminium angle cassettes.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I spent a satisfactory afternoon tweaking 'Bethesda Sidings', now that all the track is laid and the layout is fully wired up and operational.

A couple of snags on two of the points were attended to and several locos tested on the layout.

Predictably, the Dapol B4 (on loan from BR to the Vale of Radnor Light Railway) ran superbly, it's one of the best running RTR locos I've ever had. Pleasingly, the Dean Goods ran well and will now be weathered and put into service, in due course.

Both my Mainline/Bachmann panniers have been tested before and also pleasingly, my Bachmann 64XX, that is to be converted to a 74XX, has also turned out to be a rather sweet and controllable runner, after having had quite a lot of running-in.

Ex-LNER J72 'Jennifer', who's refurbishment featured in some of my blog posts a few months ago, needed some of her pick-ups tweaking, but is now running nicely again. I may yet fit a flywheel in her, there's plenty of room.

While all this was going on, the loco that was supposed to be one of the key performers - the Hattons/DJM 14XX - was having some further running-in on the rolling road. To my surprise, it's almost good enough and controllable enough at slow speed, to be considered for the role I had originally envisaged for it - as 1420, working the Prestigne and Kington goods, now extended to Bethesda yard. I think I'll need to tweak the pick-ups, as that seems to be a slight concern, but I'm hoping that I won't have to rip the innards our and substitute an etched chassis. I may now be able to use that chassis kit on the spare Airfix body that I have.

The one loco that failed testing (which I knew it would), was my 22XX. This is because the tender wheels that I fitted several years ago, to replace the old Mainline ones, are running in the original Mainline axleboxes. This doesn't give enough lateral movement of the axles when passing over one of the points and it derails. What is needed is a replacement etched tender chassis kit, which will provide a little more flexibility.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Here's a photo showing one of the smaller loco cassettes, temporarily lined up with the track into the fiddle yard, the other day. The 'docking station' bits of aluminium angle have since been glued and bolted in position:

post-57-0-07838100-1534860797.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well, I've now finished cutting all the plastic webbing from between the sleepers:

post-57-0-16927800-1534861137.jpg

With this thin-sleepered C&L track, once the track has been painted and weathered, I normally apply the ballast by painting between 4 or 5 sleeper bays at a time with PVA and then sprinkling the ballast on, and vacuuming up the loose stuff when the glue is dry. I've always thought that the plastic webbing just gets in the way, so I normally remove it prior to track painting and ballasting. It's not a job you can really do prior to gluing the track down, though, as the webbing is pretty much essential for maintaining the sleeper spacing etc.

Meanwhile, the 1420-to-be is getting some more hours in on the rolling road:

post-57-0-06502200-1534861153.jpg

• Like 3

Coming on nicely Tim, I like it.  However (there's always a 'however' isn't there!), if your cork is 3mm or an eighth inch thick, then this equates to approx. 120 thou so I'm a bit surprised that you have only used 40thou plasticard under the copper clad sleepers at the baseboard joint and 60 thou at the cassettes.  There must have been quite a gap between the underside of the rail and the copper so have you just filled this with solder?

• RMweb Gold

Coming on nicely Tim, I like it.  However (there's always a 'however' isn't there!), if your cork is 3mm or an eighth inch thick, then this equates to approx. 120 thou so I'm a bit surprised that you have only used 40thou plasticard under the copper clad sleepers at the baseboard joint and 60 thou at the cassettes.  There must have been quite a gap between the underside of the rail and the copper so have you just filled this with solder?

There are also slivers of brass shim there, Paul.

• RMweb Gold

Well, I've finally run out of patience with the Hattons 14XX mechanism. After further running in this afternoon, it actually ran worse than it did before, just like the first example I had from them, before I sent it back and got this one.

Enough is enough.

As I've posted on the Hattons 14XX thread, in due course I shall remove the Hattons chassis and all the permanently-fixed internal workings, leaving the lovely body shell only. I shall then build and fit the Perseverence chassis kit that I have and consign the Hattons/DJM mechanism to the place it belongs - the skip.

Well, I've finally run out of patience with the Hattons 14XX mechanism. After further running in this afternoon, it actually ran worse than it did before, just like the first example I had from them, before I sent it back and got this one.

Enough is enough.

As I've posted on the Hattons 14XX thread, in due course I shall remove the Hattons chassis and all the permanently-fixed internal workings, leaving the lovely body shell only. I shall then build and fit the Perseverence chassis kit that I have and consign the Hattons/DJM mechanism to the place it belongs - the skip.

Any chance of a picture of the 14xx's inards please?

Gordon A

Enough is enough.

Brings this to mind .......

post-20303-0-48880300-1534877222.jpeg

Of good money that is !

• RMweb Gold

I've now cut the foundations for the goods shed out of the cork underlay. This involved positioning the goods shed (built by Paul Iliff a few years ago) very precisely and testing some locos and rolling stock into the shed itself. Once I was happy with the positioning, I marked all around the base of the walls and cut the cork underlay away:

post-57-0-19901100-1535035618.jpg

The goods shed was then test fitted:

post-57-0-73106500-1535035635.jpg

post-57-0-19774500-1535035644.jpg

post-57-0-28244200-1535035652.jpg

I've also added a second set of check rails at the end of the goods shed siding, where the access road will cross two lines to get to the goods shed. These short sections of in-laid track will feature setts, scribed on tile grout:

post-57-0-41625100-1535035667.jpg

• Like 4