A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Bethesda Sidings

Does anyone else know what was going on, please?

Thanks.

I hardly know what's going on in my real reality never mind in your alternative reality.

To many questions, not enough answers...............................

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

What I hope is an important step forward with the layout was taken this afternoon, in that I have finally braved the elements (nice, mild afternoon), gone outside and turned the heater on in the shed to warm it up and have sprayed the track on 'Bethesda Sidings', first red oxide primer and then (once dry) with a Precision track colour aerosol. Photos to follow.

The Precision paint will form a base colour for further track painting and weathering, after which the ballasting (or insertion of grunge, gunk and weeds) can begin.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

The painting process yesterday:

First, point blade areas were masked off, to prevent paint gumming up moving/sliding parts (will be painted by hand later):

20190214_150205.jpg.26a60ae014e595d8880213aade7bcaf0.jpg

The unmasked areas of track and baseboard were then sprayed with red oxide primer in the shed:

20190214_152800.jpg.526671c3a9da004707c256b849658e83.jpg

When that was dry, a Precision track colour was sprayed on:

20190214_153544.jpg.a26b1df849ffcc58f627fb2618a5e711.jpg

When the precision track colour was touch-dry, the layout was taken back into the house and the paint allowed to harden further overnight. I then spent some time this afternoon, wiping the paint from the rail heads:

20190215_144728.jpg.62e6be885bd79e93160055362fa75c88.jpg

20190215_144755.jpg.3e436070a44e5c49bee378f1d28d97ad.jpg

I will let the paint harden off a bit more, then the painting and weathering of individual rail sides and sleepers can begin.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A necessary bit of rather messy work yesterday and today.

The roadway to access the goods shed had to be installed, for which tile grout has been used.

Some balsa 'guides' were installed first and a thin layer of PVA brushed on. An initial layer of tile grout was then applied yesterday afternoon and allowed to harden off until this afternoon.

I then applied a further layer to bring the road way up to rail level. This will be sanded smooth when the tile grout has really hardened off and I am satisfied that it hasn't shrunk in such a way as to highlight the sleepers below (the main reason for two layers of grout):

20190224_144134.jpg.8a02e33ffd7d504f485a42e02885105c.jpg

20190224_144151.jpg.f3440f731690f62548a33651ccea493c.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, bgman said:

OK

Fine, then.

Great.

Super.

I have continued to build the ground surfaces up, also using some card with chamfered edges, which will get a covering of PVA, plus more tile grout and/or DAS modelling clay in due course.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/03/2019 at 15:15, Mick Bonwick said:

Was it an Irish one?

No, the laminate board and the card came from Devon and the buffer stops come from Scotland.

You don't want to see me doing any kind of jigging and in response to your kind agreement not to ask me to do so, I will agree not to offer.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

A pair of Lanarkshire Models GWR buffer stops built recently for the layout (I've since added cosmetic chairs):

20190310_145535.jpg.e2cf4063a02a78c4ab0c4c544ef3b14b.jpg

A Scalescenes brick yard office also under construction (I've deviated a bit from the instructions, in case anyone else has built one of these):

20190321_160319.jpg.a261f194bb5eb4cd2c2c3eac4bd918dc.jpg

The building will be weathered when it's completed.

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I test ran some locos on the layout for the first time since I spray painted the track this evening and found to my displeasure that some locos that had previously been OK, were now 'sticking' when running through pointwork.

I found that the coats of red primer and track colour top coat had contrived to slightly narrow the flangeways on the points, so I cleared these out and all bar one of the locos are now OK again.

The one exception is, you've guessed it, the second Hattons/DJM 14XX, the one that is still running on it's original chassis, because on plain track, it's actually just about OK.

Where the other locos were much improved following the flangeway clearing, this one is still tight in some places and when I checked the back-to-backs, I found out why. The back-to-backs are almost 15mm, which in OO is really too wide for the sharp curves through one or two of the points on the layout.

This loco has, therefore, moved one stage closer to having to have a replacement chassis built for it. The chassis will have to come out and the wheels will need to be removed, to see if I can narrow the back-to-backs by about 0.4mm, after which they ought to be alright.

If that doesn't work, for whatever reason, it's going to have to be a Comet chassis for it and what with all the other work I need to do on the layout, it's not going to be a priority for a while.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

It's a matter of historical record that some 14 LB&SCR A1s and A1Xs were sold out of service to various other railway operators. Some of these became relatively well-known, such as 'Deptford' and 'Shadwell', which were sold to the Edge Hill Light Railway.

LB&SCR numbers 681 and 683, 'Beulah' and 'Earlswood' respectively were amongst a number of 'Terriers' that were sold to the Admiralty in 1918 and these two went to the naval refuelling station at Invergordon, where they worked on the internal railway system there for a few years.

In 1923 both were bought by Col. Stephens for the impecunious Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Light Railway, where they became that railway's numbers 7 and 9 and were renamed 'Hecate' and 'Dido' respectively.

The locomotives didn't work for very long on the S&MR and were photographed 'laid up' and partially dismantled in the early 1930s. It is likely that they would then have been scrapped in due course, had it not been for a chance visit by Joshua Cuthbertson, General Manager of the Vale of Radnor Light Railway to Kinnerley on the S&MR, on his way back to Radnor from a family visit in Lancashire.

Cuthbertson was convinced that the two locomotives could be repaired and contacted a cousin of his, who occupied a senior position within the LM&SR at Crewe Works.

A deal was done and the component parts of 'Hecate' and Dido' were subsequently transported from Kinnerley to Crewe Works in the summer of 1933. They were refurbished and re-assembled as part of an apprentice training programme. It seems likely that some of the cost of these works was born by the wealthy Cuthbertson family, who even then were propping up the ailing financial fortunes of the VoRLR. The two locomotives were worked under their own steam from Crewe to the GWR shed at Leominster, from where they were hauled to Capel Bethesda in the daily pick-up goods service by one of Leominster's Dean Goods.

Once transferred onto the VoRLR, they were renamed 'Radnorshire' (the former 'Hecate') and 'Bethesda', (the former Dido) and were put to work on the light railway without further ado, where for some years they formed the only viable motive power, allowing the venerable Taffson, Evans & Jenkins saddle tank 'Rhondda' of 1878 to be sold for scrap.

After the war, the VoRLR joined the newly-formed Association of Independent Light Railways in 1949, which allowed a limited exchange of motive power and other rolling stock between various railways and it is known that 'Bethesda' certainly spent a few years on loan to the South Polden Light Railway in Somerset in the 1950s.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not very interesting, but I've been continuing to paint the track. Each individual sleeper is being painted and/or dry-brushed and then the rail sides will be painted.

There are between 400 and 500 sleepers on this small layout!

Once that's all done and tested again OK, I will do the ballasting.

The scene earlier this afternoon:

20190413_162218.jpg.67b91b79a40244b406238359ab44d8d1.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 02/04/2019 at 09:56, Captain Kernow said:

After the war, the VoRLR joined the newly-formed Association of Independent Light Railways in 1949, which allowed a limited exchange of motive power and other rolling stock between various railways and it is known that 'Bethesda' certainly spent a few years on loan to the South Polden Light Railway in Somerset in the 1950s.

Captain,

Fascinating to learn of the fate of that pair of Terriers. I have heard rumours that one made it to more northerly climes to operate on the little known Weardale Light Railway.

I hope you don't mind me asking but, as a matter of historical record, what were the main traffic flows on the South Polden Light Railway in latter years? I presume it was a goods-only concern? 

Kind regards, 

South Tyne (Managing Director, Chief Engineer and Principal Pastry Consumer of the Weardale Light Railway)