Rapido to announce 1/76 UK bus at scan party

Andy Y

Walsall short length Daimler Fleetline....go on, you know you want to.  Can't get any more obscure than that, only the Stalybridge, Hyde, Mossley and Dukinfield Joint Board bought anything similar although they had hopper ventilators rather than sliding vents and different destination blind arrangements which made them look slightly different, but they shared the same basic body with a narrow folding door opposite the driver and a sliding main door.

Then you can move on and get the Rotmaster out of your system.

Want something obscure.

How about the Morris Commercial Imperials with Park Royal body work bought by East Kent. I think that there were around 20 of them and they mostly operated around Folkestone.

I seem to recall that Wythall have the remains of another Imperial, but only the lower deck, but that had different body work. Even more obscure !

R B

Walsall short length Daimler Fleetline....go on, you know you want to.  Can't get any more obscure than that, only the Stalybridge, Hyde, Mossley and Dukinfield Joint Board bought anything similar although they had hopper ventilators rather than sliding vents and different destination blind arrangements which made them look slightly different, but they shared the same basic body with a narrow folding door opposite the driver and a sliding main door.

The ugliest dam thing I ever saw on the joint board. But I bet somebody loved 'em.  

Don't know if mentioned before in this thread, but how about a Guy Wulfrunian, mid 1950s flat fronted double decker with a front engine. Designed for West Riding, where the vast majority went, but apparently one was sold to Wolverhampton. Had reliability problems to say the least, and no further orders came. The development costs and lack of orders led to Guy going into receivership. It's so unusual that it would be ideal for Jason and Co. It was previously an April Fool new announcement some 5 or so years ago.

Want something obscure.

How about the Morris Commercial Imperials with Park Royal body work bought by East Kent. I think that there were around 20 of them and they mostly operated around Folkestone.

I seem to recall that Wythall have the remains of another Imperial, but only the lower deck, but that had different body work. Even more obscure !

R B

Scanning might be a challenge unless you have a Tardis. Ah, now I understand how Jason will surprise everyone!

A number of buses come to mind that sold in large numbers across a wider part of the UK than just one city.  The pre-war all-Leyland has been mentioned (yup, London bought them too), but there was the post-war AEC Regent III with Weymann 4-bay body and pre-war Bristol with the postwar Willowbrook bodies. 

• RMweb Premium

Most British buses have been done in some sort of model form, so I won't pretend that our first model has never been done before. But, like the Class 156 we're making for RealTrack, Rapido is not afraid to say "we can do a lot better than the competition."

-Jason

So unless this comment is intended to confuse, it sounds to me like something done before as a kit or resin body, not as a finished RTR product.

The ugliest dam thing I ever saw on the joint board. But I bet somebody loved 'em.  

Well I loved their Walsall cousins.  The first batch of 27 ft buses had no front entrance, just the sliding door in the third bay, and had a long bench seat over the front wheel which as a young child I would drag my late mother to so I could watch the driver, unless we had a cranky conductor who insisted the seat was for him, in which case I'd want to sit next to the sliding door.  None of which impressed my mother who, as a smoker, wanted to go upstairs.  The later 28ft batch, with the front entrance similar to the SHMD fleet, were very nice as well, and the deep, angled front downstairs windows were great for visibility.  They had a nice interior trim, better in many ways than the Birmingham inspired WMPTE standard doom blue formica and checkerplate steel with red slippery plastic seating. Given previous Walsall vehicles were often built down to a price and could be pretty austere, the new Fleetlines were the height of modernity and comfort.

​Funny to think at nearly 100 delivered, these odd one off specially built short length Fleetlines were probably the nearest thing the eclectic and mercurial Edgley Cox ever got to producing a "standard" bus for Walsall as he seemed to enjoy going to the Bus and Coach show every year with the Corporation cheque book to buy whatever one off demonstration vehicle took his fancy, or small batches of unusual spec vehicles.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Any 4mm scale decker without an ugly join between the decks will be an improvement on what has been offered ready-to-go so far!

(Somehow I don't think the Ailsa qualifies as a classic bus just yet.)

Edited by ian

• RMweb Gold

What I want him to do is this..... any takers??

Westward produced a white metal kit back when the world was young (and the buses were current). It wasn't a good seller then...

Westward produced a white metal kit back when the world was young (and the buses were current). It wasn't a good seller then...

'Orrible little runts...I painted Westwards display model as I had some of the real Sunglow Orange. In fact I built a Wolseley out of two cars (Merfs and mine) and painted it SELNEC colours.

• Like 3

'Orrible little runts...I painted Westwards display model as I had some of the real Sunglow Orange. In fact I built a Wolseley out of two cars (Merfs and mine) and painted it SELNEC colours.

Harsh...they were superb (not) but cannot help loving them.... sorry. Seem to remember they were a manual box too? Nightmare for drivers. 

The world's UGLIEST bus??

Whoever re-designed that needs a lesson in aesthetics! Yuk.

What's with the two sets of doors?

As I understand it, it was an early experiment in driver-only operation. That's why the driver's cabin is set back, to be opposite the front door, and why there are two doors, one in and one out.

Many modern DOO buses have the same two-door principle, but these days the exit door is closer to the centre than the front. 

• RMweb Premium

As I understand it, it was an early experiment in driver-only operation. That's why the driver's cabin is set back, to be opposite the front door, and why there are two doors, one in and one out.

The front doors look so narrow that only a size 0 model could use them!

Many modern DOO buses have the same two-door principle, but these days the exit door is closer to the centre than the front. 

But not around here. You won't find anything other than front door buses, whoever the operator is and there hasn't been for a long time.

Even S/H buses with mid doors acquired by some of the smaller operators had the mid doors inoperable.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

MCN 30K in the photo was one of two experimental buses converted by Northern.  This vehicle, despite the bonnet, is actually a Leyland Titan PD3, and I seem to recall reading at one time it had been an accident victim and was rebuilt in this way to see if the still mechanically sound but operationally increasingly obsolescent half cab fleet could be made suitable for one person operation.  The vehicle was dubbed the NGT "Tynesider", and was later joined by a Routemaster (Northern was the only operator outside London to buy Rotmasters, albeit with front doors) called the "Wearsider". RCN 685.  On RCN 685 the Routmaster cab was set back to allow the driver to sit opposite the front door to take fares.  There's a photo on Flickr of the two side by side:

6911768468_09cb99ec22_k.jpg3000. MCN 30K + 3069. RCN 685: Northern General by chucklebuster, on Flickr

• Like 3