Pen Green Workshops in 4mm

• 1 year later...

After just over a year of not even thinking about the railway I'm hoping to get re-started. The ply for the baseboard has been staring at me from the corner of my workshop making me feel guilty so it's time to make time for some progress. Sadly work and my business are still placing considerable demands on my time but I am determined to push forward with what should be a fairly simple project. Thank goodness I didn't embark on an EM scale model of Kettering Station - that one awaits my lottery win.

• 2 months later...

For the first time in ages I've put a couple of evenings aside and achieved some meaningful modelling. I've prepared the carcass for the ironworks building which will be located at the left side of the layout. Hopefully I'll get the front made over the next few days, and start on some detailing. Progress at last.

post-25126-0-38877900-1546177496_thumb.jpg

post-25126-0-88521700-1546177515_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

For the first time in ages I've put a couple of evenings aside and achieved some meaningful modelling. I've prepared the carcass for the ironworks building which will be located at the left side of the layout. Hopefully I'll get the front made over the next few days, and start on some detailing. Progress at last.

Good to see this back on the front burner again, time is something we never have too much of so we can all appreciate the way this has worked but progress is looking good. Best of luck with it and look forward to seeing it progress regardless of how long it takes.

• 3 weeks later...

Whilst slowly putting together the workshop building I am also considering some motive power options. I have my eye on a couple of kits and hopefully will have a Hattons 16" Barclay soon, but I just wanted to canvas opinion as to whether the Hornby Peckett W4 would be a feasable conversion to the R type "Rothwell". Being from that town I would rather like to have the loco running. Other than the cylinder size I'm not sure how great the dimensional differences between the classes were. Would I get away with moving the dome and making some minor adjustments to the cab?

post-25126-0-00418200-1548023842.jpg

Edited by Jim15B

• RMweb Gold

I just wanted to canvas opinion as to whether the Hornby Peckett W4 would be a feasable conversion to the R type "Rothwell". Being from that town I would rather like to have the loco running. Other than the cylinder size I'm not sure how great the dimensional differences between the classes were. Would I get away with moving the dome and making some minor adjustments to the cab?

Three thoughts:

1) If you want absolute accuracy, you need to compare drawings and quite possibly consider starting from scratch/specific kit;

2) Will it satisfy you, if you make the changes you suggest?

3) Decide on whether you want option 1 (must be as true to prototype) or option 2 (enough changes to make it different from the starting point and close enough to reasonably suggest the intended prototype) and stuff what anyone else thinks.

As you are working in 00, you are obviously prepared to accept some deviation from strict dimensional accuracy, so I’ll throw the question back at you: do you think it will be close enough?

If it works for you, to the level of accuracy/reasonableness/fidelity you wish to work to, stop worrying.

PS Relocated dome, new cab sides, and new “steel” bufferbeams would make convincing changes.

PPS http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107281-peckett-locomotives-works-numbersclass/&do=findComment&comment=2170959 - remember that quoted cylinder size relates to the bore, not necessarily the dimensions over the cladding.

Edited by Regularity

If you are into kit building the CSPModes.com CSP41, Henry Court, looks like the right one!

Thank you - the CSP one is a W4 as well but does have the correct shaped cab. Their Avonside is definitely on my list (I have the 7mm version) so if I'm doing a kit that one would brobably be first, along with a High Level Hawthorn Leslie. I will bear the Peckett in mind though.

Three thoughts:

1) If you want absolute accuracy, you need to compare drawings and quite possibly consider starting from scratch/specific kit;

2) Will it satisfy you, if you make the changes you suggest?

3) Decide on whether you want option 1 (must be as true to prototype) or option 2 (enough changes to make it different from the starting point and close enough to reasonably suggest the intended prototype) and stuff what anyone else thinks.

As you are working in 00, you are obviously prepared to accept some deviation from strict dimensional accuracy, so I’ll throw the question back at you: do you think it will be close enough?

If it works for you, to the level of accuracy/reasonableness/fidelity you wish to work to, stop worrying.

PS Relocated dome, new cab sides, and new “steel” bufferbeams would make convincing changes.

PPS http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107281-peckett-locomotives-works-numbersclass/&do=findComment&comment=2170959 - remember that quoted cylinder size relates to the bore, not necessarily the dimensions over the cladding.

Thank you for your thoughts. I think I'll have to find and compare some dimensions a bit more closely and see how much of a compromise it is. As you say, working in OO I'm happy to run with a few compromises and get the overall impression, but I'd still rather spend my money on something that's going to be accurate than a sows ear. I am slightly concerned that I'll find I'm not satisfied so I think I'll prioritise my money on the Andrew Barclays from Hattons (which will also require surgery or compromise but will at least be starting from the correct prototype) and do a bit more digging on the Peckett's measurements.

Slow progress, but progress all the same. The carcass for the ironworks building is done and the end walls are covered with plasticard. I realised too late that I was using the wrong brick bond, but if I don't mention it no-one will notice. The front wall is just resting in place at the moment awaiting the next stage.post-25126-0-40328400-1548629766_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...