Mickleover MRG announce exclusive Bachmann Class 37 at Derby show

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Would you care to share "which" L/L 47/0 ? carried a unique large Haymarket Castle -  was it perhaps 47 118 ? , one of the 5 up rated to Class 48's.

47118 did carry a HA castle for a while and before that an ED westie along with 47120 RAF Kinloss. Since Bachmann doesn't model the ETH box in the higher position, a named 47120 would make a good choice for a LL release with underframe water tanks.

• Like 1

47118 did carry a HA castle for a while and before that an ED westie along with 47120 RAF Kinloss. Since Bachmann doesn't model the ETH box in the higher position, a named 47120 would make a good choice for a LL release with underframe water tanks.

Yes perhaps either would make a good choice, but is 47 118 the "unique" 47/0 referred to above with possibly larger that standard HA Castles ?  As for the early with "water tanks" 47 under frame, most (although in fairness some were corrected) 47 001's  AND 47 164 (Union Jack) wrongly came with 57 type tanks ! , thankfully Rails L/E of 47 461 featured the correct style.......................

• RMweb Premium

Yes perhaps either would make a good choice, but is 47 118 the "unique" 47/0 referred to above with possibly larger that standard HA Castles ? 

Yup 47 118 had a 'large' castle for a while. It also carried the Dog and the Stag at various stages when it was based at ED & IS. An old thread here with some interesting pics:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/41399-large-logo-images/page-2 

I was the Technical Clerk at Haymarket in the 80's. The original Haymarket crest was a red outline of a castle, but it soon changed to all white. I recall there was some kind of dispute with Edinburgh City Council who thought the logo was too similar in style to the city coat of arms and so it had to be modified.

My fading memory tells me that at least one of the 47/7's when painted into ScotRail colours, originally carried the red castle for a few weeks. I might be getting confused with 47 708 Waverley, which had a Scot (gap) Rail logo instead of ScotRail.  708 will be a Ltd Edition release by the AMRSS at next years Model Rail Scotland, so I'm hoping they have the gap!.

Apologies for hijacking this 37 thread with my musings on the Duffs. Looking forward to receiving 37 114 when it's released.

Edited by Scottish-Exile

Yup 47 118 had a 'large' castle for a while. It also carried the Dog and the Stag at various stages when it was based at ED & IS. An old thread here with some interesting pics:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/41399-large-logo-images/page-2 

I was the Technical Clerk at Haymarket in the 80's. The original Haymarket crest was a red outline of a castle, but it soon changed to all white. I recall there was some kind of dispute with Edinburgh City Council who thought the logo was too similar in style to the city coat of arms and so it had to be modified.

My fading memory tells me that at least one of the 47/7's when painted into ScotRail colours, originally carried the red castle for a few weeks. I might be getting confused with 47 708 Waverley, which had a Scot (gap) Rail logo instead of ScotRail.  708 will be a Ltd Edition release by the AMRSS at next years Model Rail Scotland, so I'm hoping they have the gap!.

Apologies for hijacking this 37 thread with my musings on the Duffs. Looking forward to receiving 37 114 when it's released.

Thanks for the info.  Going by this photo from your above link, the Castle does not appear ? to be any bigger than the standard versions fitted to 47/7's 26/27's etc

attachicon.gif47118 MV 070986.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the info.  Going by this photo from your above link, the Castle does not appear ? to be any bigger than the standard versions fitted to 47/7's 26/27's etc

attachicon.gif47118 MV 070986.jpg

On looking at it again, I'd probably agree with you. The Castle that I'm familiar with (Class 26's & 27's) was approx 12" high. I had a few of these spirited away including one mounted on a lovely varnished board/plaque made by the depot joiner. Sadly, a succession of house moves over the years have seen these gone, much to my dismay.

Eastfield for sure had a large and small Westie and the original Inverness stag was an all white image before they adopted the Yellow & Black Highland Rail logo.

• RMweb Premium

47 001's  AND 47 164 (Union Jack) wrongly came with 57 type tanks ! , thankfully Rails L/E of 47 461 featured the correct style.......................

My 47001 has the correct tanks. It seems that Bachmann fitted the correct tanks to the models still in the warehouse at some point. So its worth checking the model visually before buying.

On looking at it again, I'd probably agree with you. The Castle that I'm familiar with (Class 26's & 27's) was approx 12" high. I had a few of these spirited away including one mounted on a lovely varnished board/plaque made by the depot joiner. Sadly, a succession of house moves over the years have seen these gone, much to my dismay.

Eastfield for sure had a large and small Westie and the original Inverness stag was an all white image before they adopted the Yellow & Black Highland Rail logo.

So as not to hike jack this thread, I've started a new thread here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/125810-scottish-depot-emblems/

My 47001 has the correct tanks. It seems that Bachmann fitted the correct tanks to the models still in the warehouse at some point. So its worth checking the model visually before buying.

It's still a lottery to purchase a 47 001 via mail order not knowing what's going to arrive in the box, it may also be different to what the photo shows on a retailers site....  

Another little update, just to give you an idea of the redrawn nameplates. Brian at Shawplan has done a great job, and they're now 100% accurate. Thinner border, and slightly shorter in length, and taller. The whole plate is crisper. I've fitted the new plates to my handpainted sample, new ones are at the top! The lighting has made the paint finish look rough somehow but never mind it's a heavily zoomed in pic. 

Alex

post-9660-0-43496600-1504605983_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lochnagar
  • Like 13

• 3 weeks later...

Whatever happened to this model? I signed up for it using the form on their page but never heard anything. Should I sign up again?!

No...you simply wait to hear further information closer to the models due date which is early next year. The advert and communications made this very clear.

Edited by blueeighties

Whatever happened to this model? I signed up for it using the form on their page but never heard anything. Should I sign up again?!

Haha, yes just wait until late December/mid January when they arrive, we'll contact you for payment as per details issued. if you've filled out an online form you've definitely got one. You should have had a confirmation email. if you haven't for some reason then feel free to message me and I'll check.

Alex

• 4 weeks later...

The suspense is killing me!! Lol

Me too! I'll hopefully have a pre production model for display by Warley at the latest..and of course I'll show you guys on here too. It'll be on the Rail Express stand anyway along with me. 

Alex

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick post to say thanks again to everyone who has pre-ordered a model, and if you want to come and see me at Warley for a chat or to view the handpainted model..and hopefully pre production sample..then feel free. I'll be on the Rail Express stand or thereabouts. I'll bring some order forms and put them out with 114, and a heads up they are now nearly 90% sold. Fantastic result, my prediction of them being sold out on delivery is looking like it will be the case. So once again, thanks everyone for supporting Mickleover Model Railway group and getting a decent 37 in the process!

Heres another pic of my handpainted model, exactly how it will be. Alex

post-9660-0-26823200-1510314508.jpg

• Like 6

Can you take a nice side shot so we can upload it into our handsets ready ;)

Must go and see the noisy lads at Warley for a chip for it too.

Will do paul, when I get chance. We're offering Legomanbiffo sound fitting for an extra £140 if required, thats where I'd go for sound anyway. The best IMHO