Peco OO9 L+B Observation Coach

ndg910

Am aware there is a general OO9 discussion on here but not anything specific on these coaches.

Does anyone know any more on these. The only details I can find are the product ref of GR-440 for a L+B livered version and the photos look like a saloon brake end observation coach is being modelled. There is nothing on the Peco website other than a brief reference that plans are afoot!

Are they doing them in SR livery and which version is being modelled - will it be a saloon brake end observation coach (Nos 1 or 2) or a Saloon end observation coach (Nos 3 or 4). Obvious L+B 2 (SR 6992) survives at York so that may be a clue.

Thanks in advance if anyone knows anything.

It has been discussed on the general thread. IIRC it was planned to be number 17 but was changed to the third centre observation carriages 7-10.

No idea on liveries, but I would be surprised if there wasn't a L&B liveried model and a SR one.

Edited by Paul.Uni

• 1 month later...

As a reply to a comment, on 18th May 2017 Peco confirmed on their Facebook webpage that the next L&BR R-T-R coaches to be released are the centre observation and all-third coaches, both are which were (at that date) currently in tooling.

The “Third Centre Observation Coaches” are L&BR No's 7 - 10 inclusive / Southern Railway No's 2465 – 2468 inclusive; and the “All Third Coaches” are L&BR No’s 11 – 14 inclusive / Southern Railway No’s 2469 – 2472 inclusive. Thus there is scope for sixteen (16) new Peco L&BR R-T-R products to be released in future weeks, months, years, decades, or only God knows when?

Chris

Edited by Chris Dadson

• 3 weeks later...

The Hattons pre-order website shows the 1st class end observation saloon, rather than the 3rd class centre observation coach. I'd much prefer the latter, unique and distinctive as it is. There is a preserved/reconstructed example (no 7) on the preserved 12" to 1' L&B. So I hope the rumoured change of plan is correct.

• 3 months later...

I see there is an advert for the observation coach ("new!") tucked obscurely at the back of the latest Railway Modeller, but I can't find anything on the Peco or Hattons websites. Does the ad mean they are actually going out to retailers?

• 2 weeks later...

In the November's edtion of the Railway Modeller the new Peco Lynton and Barnstaple carriages are the following, GR-440 7 compartment All 3rd in L&B Livery, GR-441 7 compartment All 3rd in SR Livery, GR-450 3rd class centre Observation in L&B Livery and GR-451 3rd class centre Observation in SR Livery.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

According to Kernow the B variant of the all third and central observation coaches are due soon. They are:

• GR-440B All Third Coach No.14 in L&B Livery
  • GR-441B All Third Coach No.2471 in SR Livery
  • GR-450B Central Observation Coach No.10 in L&B Livery
  • GR-451B Central Observation Coach  No.2468 in SR Livery

RRP for each is £45

Edited by Paul.Uni

They did say that once, but then found out it was a different length to all the other 16 coaches.

With the models they already do they wil be covering 12 out 17 of the total number of coaches on the line and have a Third, Brake Third and Composite that look very plausible in 'generic' liveries.

Edited by BernardTPM

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The brake composite observation carriages Nos. 1 & 2 were (are) the same length as the carriages already modelled by Peco. What could be holding Peco back is that there were rather substantial differences between the carriage as built, with open observation sections, and as modified with the observation saloons glazed. The same goes for the composite observation saloons Nos. 3 & 4. On the other hand, Peco have been happy issuing their Southern-era models (with some toplights panelled over to carry the SOUTHERN RAILWAY inscription) in L&B livery.

No. 17 was the odd carriage out, being a locally-constructed afterthought and slightly longer, but it has an end coupe first class compartment, not an observation saloon. Illustrated here.

I find the Peco carriages don't look quite right - the waist panels look too deep and the eves panels/toplights too shallow.

Edited by Compound2632
Added note re. Nos. 3 & 4.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, GNR Dave said:

The end observation coach is still listed on the Rails of Sheffield website as Peco GR-440 'coming soon' (knew I'd seen it somewhere !)

The photo shows No. 17, the brake composite with end coupe first class compartment - as discussed above, not the same length as the other 16 carriages.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I read, on the L&B website, that with the reconstructed composite carriage No. 5 close to entering service at Woody Bay, the heritage carriage group (the East Group) are to start work on a reconstruction of brake composite observation saloon No. 1 - perhaps this will spur Peco on to producing this magnificent vehicle - the most handsome of the L&B carriages in my opinion. Opening dog box?

• Like 1