NoelG

Tea for two! :)

CIE 121 Class no B121 and CIE C class no B233 both nearing the end of their visits to printshop before detailing and fitting of chassis.  The 121 class has an Athearn SW-1500 donor chassis and the C class has a donor chassis from a Murphy Model 141 loco.

Had lightly weathered both before varnishing with Humbrol acrylic gloss aerosol can prior to application of decals.  Now will seal with Humbrol acrylic matt aerosol varnish to get the shine back off both of them and hopefully make the weathering as visible as it used to be before the gloss.  Detailing, glazing and hand rails will be added after they have been sealed.

These are my first loco kits so taking it easy and not being to adventurous with specs, but both have really fine running DCC chassis and both will have sound.  Need to learn to walk before I run.

IMG_1843.jpg

IMG_1845.jpg

Edited by NoelG
  • Like 9

These are my first loco kits so taking it easy and not being to adventurous with specs, but both have really fine running DCC chassis and both will have sound.  Need to learn to walk before I run.

I think you have started to run Noel.

Video Clip: CIE 121 class no B121 operational trials on layout today leading consist with B181.  B121 is a Shapeways 3D print on an Athearn chassis.  Detailing to be completed in due course.  I just could not resist a little 'play' session with this new loco earlier today.  Now I'm going to have to weather B181 :)

Video
[video=youtube;ab7VTOv5W6U]

Lightly weathered in consist with B181.  It will take another few weeks to finish detailing.
IMG_1850.jpg

Holes drilled in front and sides ready for hand rails and guard rails
IMG_1859.jpg

Replacement bogies sides are in paint shop and will be replaced in a week or so.
IMG_1860.jpg

May I take this opportunity to thank those on RMWeb and especially on IRM forum who gave me advice, tips and encouragement over the past few months, and in particular 'master model engineer' Richie (Glenderg) for the time he generously gave me two years ago on air brush painting, advice on recommended equipment and paints, and general modelling tips.
Edited by NoelG
  • Like 7

Chuffed to finally have a 121 class to run on the layout. She looks better after the coat of matt varnish. I spent ages yesterday playing trains with B121 and B181. She is a 3D print from Shapeways and turned out better than I had expected. The athearn SW1500 chassis is super smooth AWD/AWP.

IMG_1325c.jpg

Edited by NoelG
  • Like 3

CIE 121 class.  Time to start adding some detail bits'n'pieces.  Pic shows how well the Athearn SW1500 chassis fits with only the metal lugs at each ends of the chassis needing to be cut away with a mini drill rotary saw and internal mounts added.  Plenty of spaces for speakers inside.  Plan to replace the bogie sides and fuel tank this week.  Won't add any hand rails until everything is finished for fear of bending them while handling.

IMG_2054.jpg

Will have to glaze before doing inside of cab

IMG_2053.jpg

Edited by NoelG
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

B121 update. The SW1500 bogie sides have been replaced with 3D printed GM 121 class sides.  SW1500 fuel tank also replaced.  All thats left is glazing and hand/grab rails.

IMG_2202.jpg

Edited by NoelG
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

More 3D body shells are on route from Shapeways so the new year should keep me busy working on more locos. I'm not prepared to gamble on the possibility that MM will finally ship 121s in 2019.  I very much hope the do and wish them success with the model if and when it comes to market. Now What livery to do for my next 121s in the new year  On the one hand supertrain livery is the easiest to paint and an ST livery could operate in consist with the existing B&T 121 (i.e. same overlapping eras), the delivery grey'n'yellow lines appeals due to the old youtube films and lack of need for walkway rails, and while the IE tippex 121s are not my era at all, visually they look very attractive and distinctive, but the most difficult to do a crisp paint job on. Decisions decisions?? smile.png smile.png I'm leaning towards ST livery as it would look well running bonnet to bonnet as a double header pair with the existing Black'n'tan loco. Also would look well in consist with MM 141 ST livery locos.

• Like 1

Those look absolutely superb and the finish is superb.

I have felt a little put off 3D printing by the widespread comments on how crude the results can be from some printers. The above are not at all "crude". Is this due to extensive cleaning up (thus showing that irrespective of printer type, a good finish can still be achieved), or the difference between a good printer and a "cheap" one?

I would be interested in more knowledge about the design process for, say, a carriage type not previously made commercially, the costs, and so on.

Meantime, those models above are absolutely brilliant.

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go again. Starting another 3D 121, first of three. Now which livery for this one. Another black and tan or perhaps super train as its the easiest to do. I'd like to do the 1961 delivery grey as it ran with B&T and green coaching stock. But its not a straight forward paint job. The Tippex IE is the most difficult to paint accurately and also out of my era anyway, but a visually pleasing livery on the 121. Chassis will be a 3rd gen Athearn SW1500 again as it fits like a glove and runs with the smoothness and precision of a swiss watch and is 8pin DCC ready. Layout operations are hoping for delivery of more 121s from the Workbench sheds over the next six to eight weeks.

Grow your own 121 class on a precision high performance chassis

Side by side B121 finished and raw 3D body shell from Shapeways

IMG_9097.jpg

• Like 2