• RMweb Gold

Not to much done over the last week but I have finished modifying the yard lamps and fitted the second to the board.  Pretty pleased how they look just need to wire them up now.  A slight distraction has been planning a little 8’ n gauge project just so I can run something!

A1086CAC-A377-43F4-8034-95723CD0A7EA.jpeg

368A1D8C-A818-40B6-8DDF-81A3D05F83BD.jpeg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Nothing really to report on the depot although I have been building track, albeit a bit smaller than I’m used to and I’ve got a split box 40!

Although not in 7mm the detail is superb, for anyone wondering I just want to run something which is rather difficult in 7mm so I’m knocking up a little 8’x1’ project for me and my daughter in 2mm using code 40 rail, here’s a link if anyone is interested. 

AD1CBD3E-FC8E-4D0C-8272-AF055C4F9696.jpeg

05CB5896-2B17-446D-8A15-7EF248FE2CA1.jpeg

FF7AB402-D83B-4E1A-8875-9739113CB88E.jpeg

AC91227B-88AE-457B-A8AC-45BA7B29BFF5.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Evening everyone, the last year or two has been quite difficult for one reason or another and modelling has kept me going when my mojo has been around, but I’m become so frustrated with the lack of playability, I knew this was not an overnight project but the sheer size of 7mm does limit what you can do and playability when you have limited space, I want to play trains and make realistic videos/photos that’s what I enjoy.   I must admit over the last few weeks I’ve been thinking very hard about what I want, I love modelling in O gauge but due to the sheer size I’m more and more tempted each day to return to 4mm especially with some of the new recipes-tooled OO releases on the way.

Tough decisions on the way!

• Friendly/supportive 4

Indeed it’s a tough decision. It was a big one for me to go up to 7mm, but I enjoy the modelling as I still, now I’ve got older, can’t get over the OO track issues. If I went back down to OO I’d have to look at converting to EM I think, but then I will miss the sheer presence of the O gauge.

Missing Mojo is an annoyance, I still have got mine back, but I am too busy, and I do miss playing with my models, and would like to have a roundy roundy, so I go up the club and get my 7.25 Tinkerbell out for a play instead. Not possible for everyone I know, but it takes my mind off of it. I’m currently a week away at the minute, but have 5 weeks off at home, so I should be able to crack on. The harder part is, the video making. I’ve lost the mojo for that, and just want to get on with the modelling and not worry about it

• Friendly/supportive 2

Completely understandable. I get frustrated I can't run anything in the house and its a massive job to get the layout up outside but I am looking to simplify that process by using trestles instead of legs. I always knew Black Notley was a long term project and was designed to be able to take to exhibitions. I do enjoy the modelling side though which keeps me going.

I don't miss my OO layout although I have kept a few models even though I can't run them. Now I am retired I think he best bet will be to join the local club which does have an O gauge section.

Paul R

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, 47606odin said:

Indeed it’s a tough decision. It was a big one for me to go up to 7mm, but I enjoy the modelling as I still, now I’ve got older, can’t get over the OO track issues. If I went back down to OO I’d have to look at converting to EM I think, but then I will miss the sheer presence of the O gauge.

Missing Mojo is an annoyance, I still have got mine back, but I am too busy, and I do miss playing with my models, and would like to have a roundy roundy, so I go up the club and get my 7.25 Tinkerbell out for a play instead. Not possible for everyone I know, but it takes my mind off of it. I’m currently a week away at the minute, but have 5 weeks off at home, so I should be able to crack on. The harder part is, the video making. I’ve lost the mojo for that, and just want to get on with the modelling and not worry about it

I do love the size of O gauge but I’m starting to think what use is it having 13 locos sat in boxes, then when I do decide to have a play I've only got four that are sound fitted and I’ve only got a dcc controller so it’s rather frustrating.  I think if I do go back to 4mm I’ll definitely be building all the track I wouldn’t be using peco etc but I’ve tried em before and re-wheeling was a nightmare for me.

cheers 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, pwr said:

Completely understandable. I get frustrated I can't run anything in the house and its a massive job to get the layout up outside but I am looking to simplify that process by using trestles instead of legs. I always knew Black Notley was a long term project and was designed to be able to take to exhibitions. I do enjoy the modelling side though which keeps me going.

I don't miss my OO layout although I have kept a few models even though I can't run them. Now I am retired I think he best bet will be to join the local club which does have an O gauge section.

Paul R

Morning Paul, your situation is very similar to mine, the intention was to have it set up in the garage but even when I get around to converting the garage I think I’ll still be struggling to have the layout fully set up, if I go back to 4mm I could have the same layout with extra bits in 8’x2’ it’s a tough decision I have to mate.

Thanks again 

• Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, PjKing1 said:

I do love the size of O gauge but I’m starting to think what use is it having 13 locos sat in boxes, then when I do decide to have a play I've only got four that are sound fitted and I’ve only got a dcc controller so it’s rather frustrating.  I think if I do go back to 4mm I’ll definitely be building all the track I wouldn’t be using peco etc but I’ve tried em before and re-wheeling was a nightmare for me.

cheers 

Hi Paul.

I understand your frustration at not being able to run anything.  Have you thought of going to a club?  There's a couple of 0 gauge groups in your area: the West Lancs 0 Gauge Group is probably your nearest - they used to meet in Crosby but I think it's now Bootle.  Then there's Preston 0 Gauge Group which is a bit further, but only up the A59.   Both have extensive continuous layouts on which you could get to run your DC locos.  Preston also has a long end-to-end DCC layout too:  I'm not sure of West Lancs' DCC capabilities.   Whether they've restarted meetings and Open Days yet, I don't know.

If you're interested I can get the addresses and contact names/numbers for you.

Rod

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Dmudriver said:

Hi Paul.

I understand your frustration at not being able to run anything.  Have you thought of going to a club?  There's a couple of 0 gauge groups in your area: the West Lancs 0 Gauge Group is probably your nearest - they used to meet in Crosby but I think it's now Bootle.  Then there's Preston 0 Gauge Group which is a bit further, but only up the A59.   Both have extensive continuous layouts on which you could get to run your DC locos.  Preston also has a long end-to-end DCC layout too:  I'm not sure of West Lancs' DCC capabilities.   Whether they've restarted meetings and Open Days yet, I don't know.

If you're interested I can get the addresses and contact names/numbers for you.

Rod

Evening Rod, thanks very much for all the info I used up go the west lancs group every now and then but family and life kind of used to get in the way.  Going to a club is great but it’s nice running locos and trains in your own home to.

I love 7mm but I need to enjoy it which is something I’m lacking at the moment.

Thanks again for the encouragement mate

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I’ve kind of decided over the last day or two that for me to get any kind of enjoyment I need to have so thing that I know I can finish and exhibit if good enough so I think the time has come to return to OO.

I will be continuing my dream of Edge Hill though and building this layout in 4mm with hand built track and although I’m not going down the em or p4 route I’ll be doing it to the fine scale standards where possible.  If anyone is interested in the layout or stock please pm me.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, woodyfox said:

That's a shame. Your creations are thoroughly inspiring. Good luck with a 4mm efforts. 

Thanks mate, it’s been a very tough an difficult decision but at least I’ll get more done in a smaller scale and who knows it might make for a better layout 

thanks again 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, D6775 said:

Huge shame but fully understandable. Hopefully someone will take it on. I would love too, but too many projects and my scenic work wouldn't do it justice. 

Cheers mate up to now it’s going to a good home in a couple of weeks don’t worry the layout will continue albeit a bit smaller but I’ll promise to do it justice and it’s first allocated loco is on it’s way! 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Paul

I am one sorry to see you move away from O gauge as I think you seriously excel in this gauge as everything is so lifelike ..... but hey.... you will reproduce everything lifelike in 4mm and I know that the layout will be another showpiece.

All the best buddy.... looking forward to your new venture. :good:

PS... I do love the Class 31 & 40

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, jcarta said:

Paul

I am one sorry to see you move away from O gauge as I think you seriously excel in this gauge as everything is so lifelike ..... but hey.... you will reproduce everything lifelike in 4mm and I know that the layout will be another showpiece.

All the best buddy.... looking forward to your new venture. :good:

PS... I do love the Class 31 & 40

Thank you buddy it’s very much appreciated :D like I keep saying I love O gauge but the ability to run things is quite disheartening.

I must admit the thought of building this in 4mm is exciting me and I’ve been looking for the new fleet (which is far cheaper in 4mm) my main thoughts now are do I build it to how the exact Edge Hill was or do I build it to my adapted version like my 7mm version was to become?  My next thought is do I just carry on and use this thread or start a new one! :scratchhead:

thank again for the kind words 

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Dmudriver said:

Make sure to let us know, Paul.  I for one will still be following - 4mm or not!!!

Will do Rod, what you prefer or thinks best? Carry on here or new 4mm thread? 

• RMweb Gold

Paul … as I said the other day you are always welcome to come and play with our trains out at exhibitions or on our social days if you can get down here. Looking forwards to seeing new project…. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Paul … as I said the other day you are always welcome to come and play with our trains out at exhibitions or on our social days if you can get down here. Looking forwards to seeing new project…. 

Thanks Phil love meeting up and seeing your layout buddy can I bring my new addition that will be arriving shortly :D

643C6D48-6000-45B9-A783-CEF1D97BFA12.jpeg

3 hours ago, PjKing1 said:

Will do Rod, what you prefer or thinks best? Carry on here or new 4mm thread? 

It would be easier to carry on here - assuming you'll keep the same layout name - but as this is the 7mm+ section, you're probably better moving it.   Say to "Layout Topics"?  There's plenty of layouts on there. 

Are you doing Maghull North at the same time as the new 4mm one?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Dmudriver said:

It would be easier to carry on here - assuming you'll keep the same layout name - but as this is the 7mm+ section, you're probably better moving it.   Say to "Layout Topics"?  There's plenty of layouts on there. 

Are you doing Maghull North at the same time as the new 4mm one?

I’ve been calling it Edge Hill for a bit now as it’s moved location from my earlier posts and it’s more or less a replica of Edge Hill so maybe I should change the name but if I do continue this thread I will get it moved on the forum.

As for Maghull North I’ll be defo carrying on with that Rod as it’s a little project for me and my daughter as she loves running trains and it’ll be a nice little distraction. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

It will be good to follow your new layout build, however as has been pointed out, this is the 7mm scale specific thread, so I shall have to follow you elsewhere, like the brute road thread

Cheers mate I’ll either get this one moved or start a fresh I’ll have a good think :good:

• Like 2