• RMweb Gold

Even before I went 7mm I'd had ideas I'd had ideas if various diesel depots, then when I made the step up I'd really looked into Kings Cross Loco and Buxton but for various reasons where just not possible in the end, so it was back to the drawing board, with various real locations around Liverpool looked into, Edgehill fuelling point was another possibility but it lacked something for me personally. I thought of a converted to Diesel 'Walton on the Hill' to Diesel (Glad I never haha) as I live virtually on the old site of it but again it didn't grab me.

So I kept looking and a few weeks ago I found what I was looking for in a location a pass nearly everyday, played on when I was younger and lived backing into for five years, it's totally fictional but the background story rights itself as apart from the depot everything else is real.

So let the story begin...

The Bootle to Aintree branch line linked the Liverpool to Southport line to Aintree, Preston and beyond via Ormskirk with trains coming from Liverpool Exchange or via Edge Lane Junction from Liverpool Lime Street or the sidings at Edgehill. Aintree had huge sidings and at Sefton junction there was a line into the EE factory and a branch off to Fazakerley and the PW depot, in the late 60's Aintree also boasted a Freightliner terminal. On Grand National day loco hauled race day specials from the south used the line with anything from 40's, Peaks, 47's and 50's and even Blue Pullmans. The nearest fuelling point for all this traffic was still Edgehill right up until the line was mothballed, being used occasionally for engineers trains to gain access to the Ormskirk Line.

I've always had a fondness for this line as I remember seeing 40's on it and in later years as mentioned above I lived backing onto it and ten years ago I had the pleasure to witness 37410 on a route learner.

The idea, a medium sized fuelling and servicing point with stabling facilities, the shed being of two roads both long enough to hold two cl40's with inspection pits etc and very much based on the Buxton construction of brick base and corrugated sheeting up top. Stopping short of the shed is a fuelling road again long enough to hold two to three locos and next this and the shed three stabling roads. A fuel storage sidings will be on the approach to the shed on the left looking at it.

The pink spot will mark the location of the depot

BB7FCF2B-17F6-40F8-81FA-8395F1E2ADC5_zps

The location between Hawthorne Road and Orrell Road

DD93D5AE-E05F-48A8-A333-D07673A04D03_zps

The plan

68AB5F29-EEB2-4EFA-9BC7-FE2559E6C8FE_zps

The real location

https://flic.kr/p/aQirEv

And 50's used the line so Llc cl50 will come in very handy, this shot taken from a little further up the line

https://flic.kr/p/aK9SnK

This will be a long term project as trying to model all of this in one go is just not possible so I'll be starting with two boards 5-6' in length and 2' wide, l'll be starting with the two road shed and fuel point, and hopefully the fuel storage siding along with the fuel storage tanks, these will be based on those at Buxton.

It needs more tweaking but this a rough idea of the first boards

7A907365-F646-4B8C-92E2-512DD4FD4D9A_zps

I'm hoping to pop the five minutes down the road and take a few shots of how it is now over the weekend.

Like I've said I've been looking into and planning this now for a few weeks, so unlike the other false starts with ideas this is up and running and is doable.

Cheers

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

That looks like an interesting project. I'm not too familiar with the location but was it the line that was electrified so that Liverpool Overhead trains could reach Aintree on Grand national day. I presume that the continuation past racecourse station was where all the trains were parked when I watched the National as a kid.

Jamie

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That looks like an interesting project. I'm not too familiar with the location but was it the line that was electrified so that Liverpool Overhead trains could reach Aintree on Grand national day. I presume that the continuation past racecourse station was where all the trains were parked when I watched the National as a kid.Jamie

Thanks Jamie I forgot to mention the line was once electrified with a number of stations, the trains parked up during the national where by Fazakerly yard and fabrication depot, this branched of at Sefton Junction.

Here's a couple of links to the stations that where once along the line

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/l/linacre_road/

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/f/ford/

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/a/aintree_racecourse/

Thanks again

Great back story mate ,sounds like it ticks all the boxes for you

Following with interest

Brian

Cheers mate, just that peak box totick now ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jamie I forgot to mention the line was once electrified with a number of stations, the trains parked up during the national where by Fazakerly yard and fabrication depot, this branched of at Sefton Junction.

Here's a couple of links to the stations that where once along the line

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/l/linacre_road/

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/f/ford/

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/a/aintree_racecourse/

Thanks again

Cheers mate, just that peak box totick now ;)

Thanks for the info. I've just packed a lot of my reference books up for a forthcoming move to France so couldn't look it up. I'll follow the thread with interest. I like peaks as well but 9F's were better.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the info. I've just packed a lot of my reference books up for a forthcoming move to France so couldn't look it up. I'll follow the thread with interest. I like peaks as well but 9F's were better.Jamie

Thanks Jamie, I'm wondering whether to treat myself to a peak even though I've more important things to get, having said that apart from the cl50's there's nothing new coming out after these, I'll have to get a couple of steamers but that'll be way down the line (about a mile in fact at Aintree mpd ;) )

Good luck with the move mate

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jamie, I'm wondering whether to treat myself to a peak even though I've more important things to get, having said that apart from the cl50's there's nothing new coming out after these, I'll have to get a couple of steamers but that'll be way down the line (about a mile in fact at Aintree mpd ;) )

Good luck with the move mate

Don't forget the Heljan centre-headcode 20s are out in October mate. Looking forward to see you starting on the layout. Hope your able to move forward quicker than I am!!

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget the Heljan centre-headcode 20s are out in October mate. Looking forward to see you starting on the layout. Hope your able to move forward quicker than I am!!

Rich

Thanks Rich I'm hoping to start laying track within the next couple of weeks, as for the 20's I do like them but I can live without them ;)

Cheers

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I wish I could muster even half your enthusiasm/motivation :(

It's been very hard Andy almost to the point of giving up on a layout and just having locos on display, but even if I only have a 5' board with something to take photos of the locos on in a years time I'll be very happy. I'm not going to rush this as I want a real attention to detail with everything.

Just keep looking at that big green whistler of yours and I'm sure the enthusiasm will come.

Thanks again

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking forward to seeing the first photos of your progress. Good luck.

Thanks mate, brick counting is already underway for the shed and hoping to pop down there for some prototype photos, I've just drove past but didn't have time to stop. I must admit I get excited passing the spot and I can imagine looking over the bridge and seeing ticking over diesels in the early morning sun coughing plumes of blue smoke into the air.

I was looking at the plan this morning and I might move the headshunt and two I've the points further to the left possibly off scene under the bridge so it's not to cramped, but I'll look into that when the time comes.

Cheers

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

St Wilfred's RC school now have a "save our playing field" fund.........

Really? I know the land was owned by the church or something but they've been doing tests on it lately with the rumour of houses being built there.

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Not the exact location but thought I'd share a few pics I took last year up on the site of the old Aintree shed about a mile down the line showing how overgrown it now is :(

0AD1485F-9614-4BA2-8CBF-FBF257D34BF1_zps

D6B3FD69-3CE0-45AF-9280-7E90AA046776_zps

CF24CA62-EF43-4C4F-9525-D403AED91FB8_zps

F0918B80-1571-4658-8D56-3A676070CB75_zps

4F0BC8C4-BE03-44D6-98A9-C50B02F030E1_zps

Cheers

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rich I'm hoping to start laying track within the next couple of weeks, as for the 20's I do like them but I can live without them ;)

Cheers

Pah! Where is the dislike button!! ;)

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Thanks beast I'm guessing you know what I might be asking you in the coming months? ;) :D

Pah! Where is the dislike button!! ;)

Rich

Haha I've got to draw the line somewhere and I really want a Peak

• Like 2

I was born in, and lived in number 9 Walker Drive  from 1951 until I married in 1976, and continued to visit regularly until Dad died in  1997. As a boy, I remember how, at the first puff of smoke or chuff in the distance, all the lads would run, hell for leather to the road bridge on Orrell Road, climb on to the parapet and cheer as a Jinty, or 4F or other dirty black loco belched thick yellow smoke all over us (earning most of us a clout over the ear when we got home smelling of sulphur and smoke).  The cutting was a nice yellow/red sandstone, and successive generations used what we called a cave, really an eroded gentle cliff face, as a gang den, where you had to be prepared to run when a ganger crew came striding along the track. I can really appreciate the potential of this site for a diesel depot, and will now be following your posts with great interest.

BTW, in one of the regular but never fulfilled efforts to reopen parts of the Liverpool railways, several years ago there was a proposal to build a station in the cutting, below the terraces on Walker Drive, where you have two sidings planned. Quite what the reason for it was, I forget, and needless to say, nothing ever came of it.

post-3582-0-72937700-1493409933_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was born in, and lived in number 9 Walker Drive  from 1951 until I married in 1976, and continued to visit regularly until Dad died in  1997. As a boy, I remember how, at the first puff of smoke or chuff in the distance, all the lads would run, hell for leather to the road bridge on Orrell Road, climb on to the parapet and cheer as a Jinty, or 4F or other dirty black loco belched thick yellow smoke all over us (earning most of us a clout over the ear when we got home smelling of sulphur and smoke).  The cutting was a nice yellow/red sandstone, and successive generations used what we called a cave, really an eroded gentle cliff face, as a gang den, where you had to be prepared to run when a ganger crew came striding along the track. I can really appreciate the potential of this site for a diesel depot, and will now be following your posts with great interest.

BTW, in one of the regular but never fulfilled efforts to reopen parts of the Liverpool railways, several years ago there was a proposal to build a station in the cutting, below the terraces on Walker Drive, where you have two sidings planned. Quite what the reason for it was, I forget, and needless to say, nothing ever came of it.

Thanks Jinty3f I used to live in 56 St Philips Ave, I think they were planning a station when there was ideas to reopen the line because Liverpool were planning to move to Stanley Park and they were going to use the line to Edgehill for passenger services again.

I remember freightliners on the branch and vaguely rember it being double tracked, we used to walk all the way up to Aintree and back on summer evenings never came across any trains at the time though :( do you still live near by?

Cheers

• Like 1

I remember freightliners on the branch and vaguely rember it being double tracked, we used to walk all the way up to Aintree and back on summer evenings never came across any trains at the time though :( do you still live near by?

Cheers

It was certainly double tracked during the 50s and early to mid 60s but that section fell into disuse pretty quickly I think, and I can only recall mainly light engine usage before I inevitably lost interest as a teenager. The road bridge gained a metal footbridge at the side around 1965 and I remember being disappointed that what should have been a great vantage point was fairly disappointing because of the restricted traffic on the line. I can also remember walking the line to the sidings at Aintree, close to where the Giro is now, but it was well patrolled and resulted in many a merry chase across the cutting banks. There were plenty of brake vans in the sidings, and a lot of empty coke wagons on the occasions we got thAt far. I now live in Crosby, just a few miles away. I have just sold all my 00 stock, and like yourself, am just starting in 0 gauge. Good luck with the new layout.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It was certainly double tracked during the 50s and early to mid 60s but that section fell into disuse pretty quickly I think, and I can only recall mainly light engine usage before I inevitably lost interest as a teenager. The road bridge gained a metal footbridge at the side around 1965 and I remember being disappointed that what should have been a great vantage point was fairly disappointing because of the restricted traffic on the line. I can also remember walking the line to the sidings at Aintree, close to where the Giro is now, but it was well patrolled and resulted in many a merry chase across the cutting banks. There were plenty of brake vans in the sidings, and a lot of empty coke wagons on the occasions we got thAt far. I now live in Crosby, just a few miles away. I have just sold all my 00 stock, and like yourself, am just starting in 0 gauge. Good luck with the new layout.

Your memories are great :) I think I'm going to model it before the metal footbridge was built I still might add it, Crosby is lovely we live just by Dunnies but the plan is to move in about two years. You might already know but West Lancashire O Gauge Group is based in St Monica's unfortunately I've only managed to get there once though.

If you fancy swapping stories over a pint let me know ;)

Thanks again