2ManySpams

Superb "Dave"! ;) :D :lol:

I really like the sense of depth this layout has. That is very realistic. Somthing which is seldom seen on models.

I notice there's an intresting bit of pointwork to the left of the 08. Looks good, and EM gauge is so much more real looking compared to OO.

Now I don't mean to be critical, but I'm just saying that if this were my layout (oh I just ssooo wish :lol: ) the only thing I'd change might be the banks along the canal, as to me they seem to look in need of a bit more vegitation (a few small trees and bushes perhaps?). oh, and also as that green cl.50 has nowhere to go I'd also add the pipes/detail to the front of it. B)

Other than that it all looks perfect to me. Withut a shadow of a doubt this layout is one of those rare masterpieces that get made once every blue moon. It's like one of those records that after you listen to it your life will never be the same again.

You have obviously planned and thought it all out well. It's an interesting track plan. Great buildings. 1988 was a good time for Vacs and Tractors.

Then again, I assume St B used to be a steam depot back in the day. I doubt it would be too complicated to backdate it if ever you want to run some steamers on it.

Now I want to go and check out your other layout, Treneglos. B)

Da Chris, 4 hours later and I havn't made it to Treneglos, yet! :rolleyes:

I've been trying dreaming (that is, because in reality I honestly don't see it ever happening!) to see if I could somehow scale this down into a smaller layout of a similar theme (of course if ever I do actually build something like that I will seek your approval first)

It's because St Blazey would be just ssooo relevant to my interests: 50s. 37s. (Did the odd 33 ever mack it down to St B, I wonder? :unsure: ) Probably even the Westerns, Warships, and Baby Deltics if we go back a further decade.....

I was trying to work out the general method of operating this layout. It doesn't look so at a glance, but that's actually a rather complex trackplan.

I hope you don't mind that I've added some letters to your track diagram (below), for clarity, so we can understand what we're talking about.

I've also taken the liberty of correcting the alignment of the turntable on the map, as it was incorrect before.

So, let's assume a train runs in on Line 2 (top right of diagram), runs through Line E. Stops. Uncouples. Loco runs down to the level crossing ( :O I've just realised, after I'd finished writing everything, that their's no headshunt! :unsure: Now I'm not sure how it's going to make the next hypothetical move?) Goes up to the turntable. Enters roundhouse.

Then, let's say, another loco's booked to take a train on Line F out. So, loco emerges from roundhouse, goes onto turntable, exits on the fuel road (at which point, while they fuel the loco, the driver will go over to the pub for a pint :D ), goes back onto the turntable (in abscence of the headshunt, would he be allowed to run the loco through the wagon shop? or), runs off down to the level crossing (again, assuming their's a headshunt down at the level crossing), goes around the train (on Line F) via Line G, backs up onto the train, and off they go exiting the layout on Line 2.

Now, that makes sense to me (p-s: except for the abscence of a headshunt, because without that the above hypotetical movements couldn't possibly happen)

If you don't mind, Chris, I have a few questions. What I'm unable to understand is, why isn't their a headshunt down by the level crossing? Why not leave a headshunt long enough to accomodate a loco?

What are Line A East of the turntable (light engines only, maybe?), and Line H used for? I can understand Line A goes to the fiddle yard, but if you can only enter/exit locos from Line A, what is there to fiddle with?

Now let's say a train runs in from the West onto Line G. Lines E and F are occupied (as they were in one of your photos). How would the loco get back to the roundhouse?

And now, post-scriptcium that is, that I've noticed their's no headshunt, say a train comes in from the East. How do you get the loco back to the roundhouse?

I'm sure there's probably quite an elementary solution to these 'problems', but I'll be damned if I've been able to work it out! :blink:

I don't know how prototypical you want to keep it, but, other than a headshunt by the level crossing, would a pair of opposing points up in the North-Eastern corner not be a good idea too, connecting Lines 1 & 2

Something else I've thought of, in order to justify the green class 50 apparently stabled on the mainline, perhaps you could install a signal in the vicinity of the canal bridge? Again, it depends on how 'real' you want to keep it.

Sorry to be analyzing your layout so obsessively. I sincearly hope you don't mind. It's just, as I've said, I really admire it and find it extremely inspiring.

I know, I know, I really do spend too much time on here. I really should get that cl. 33 finished that I've been putting off for weeks. :rolleyes:

P-S: I told you earlier that this is one of those masterpieces that will keep one awake many-a-nights thinking about it! 4am and I have to work tomorrow..... B)

Now, how on earth do I add the map to this..... :blink: :unsure:

post-4688-126957669186_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Superb "Dave"! ;) :D :lol:

I really like the sense of depth this layout has. That is very realistic. Somthing which is seldom seen on models.

I notice there's an intresting bit of pointwork to the left of the 08. Looks good, and EM gauge is so much more real looking compared to OO.

Now I don't mean to be critical, but I'm just saying that if this were my layout (oh I just ssooo wish :lol: ) the only thing I'd change might be the banks along the canal, as to me they seem to look in need of a bit more vegitation (a few small trees and bushes perhaps?). oh, and also as that green cl.50 has nowhere to go I'd also add the pipes/detail to the front of it. B)

Other than that it all looks perfect to me. Withut a shadow of a doubt this layout is one of those rare masterpieces that get made once every blue moon. It's like one of those records that after you listen to it your life will never be the same again.

You have obviously planned and thought it all out well. It's an interesting track plan. Great buildings. 1988 was a good time for Vacs and Tractors.

Then again, I assume St B used to be a steam depot back in the day. I doubt it would be too complicated to backdate it if ever you want to run some steamers on it.

Now I want to go and check out your other layout, Treneglos. B)

I really can't take any credit for the design or building of this layout - it's all Damian's work. I've just helped out on a few buildings and a bit of green tarting! The history is that Damian, John and I built Treneglos as a joint project in 12 months and first exhibited it in 2004. With the experience of that project under our belts we're now moving on to solo projects which are supported by the rest of the team. Damian's solo is DitD, John's (which we're just starting) is an american outline layout, mine is yet to be decided but will follow John's. Eventually we'll have 4 very different exhibition layouts between the 3 of us.

The depth was something that Damian was keen to acheive and in retrospect i wish the boards on Treneglos were wider than 20". Working on this layout may have potentially converted me to EM and deep boards - i've some track bits to try out at home.

With regard to the points you make about the canal etc, i think it is only fair to say that what you see in the photos was acheived in less than 12 months. It was a major undertaking (and achievement) for essentially one person and there's still lots to do. For the first show, Damian and his helpers concentrated efforts on the major items - and I think it would be fair to say a lot was achieved during the Friday setting up at Stafford! Detailing buildings, adding general 'stuff' and the finer scenics will all develop over the next few shows and we'll keep adding photos as and when work is completed.

I'm sure Damian will be well chuffed with how much you like the layout though!

I loved this layout at Stafford, and I kept coming back to watch.

It has a real perspective to it, and is perfectly complimented by the buildings.

One day I hope to be able to create buildings and scenery like you have!

Trev

• Like 1

i think it is only fair to say that what you see in the photos was acheived in less than 12 months. It was a major undertaking (and achievement) for essentially one person and there's still lots to do.

Fair play! :)

and the finer scenics will all develop over the next few shows and we'll keep adding photos as and when work is completed.

I'm sure Damian will be well chuffed with how much you like the layout though!

I'll look forward to seeing the layout develop, and as I said before I can't wait to see it in the flesh, as it were.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic work there. As a Cornish Railwayman working around the district you've done wonders. Nice to seeit set in modern image too.

Really good to get comments like this from folk who l ive in the area and know the site. Much appreciated.

• RMweb Premium

I think the buildings are superb and the layout looks great, any more photo's available?

Colin

Hi Colin. No, no more photos yet but we do have a working weekend coming up so there will hopefully be a few shots in a few weeks time. I do have the workshops to finish off and i'll be taking shots as work progresses. All the best.

• RMweb Premium

Fair play! :)

I'll look forward to seeing the layout develop, and as I said before I can't wait to see it in the flesh, as it were.

How are you getting on with the thouughts of your own St Blazey team?

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

We've just done the DEMU show and here are a few photos taken over the weekend. Hopefully those who saw the layout at stafford will notice a few changes...

But first a few of the upgraded roof and back wall on the wagon / coach works building:

post-6675-127670856384_thumb.jpg

post-6675-12767085758_thumb.jpg

And now a few from DEMU:

post-6675-127670882497_thumb.jpg

post-6675-127670883562_thumb.jpg

post-6675-127670884783_thumb.jpg

post-6675-127670886102_thumb.jpg

post-6675-12767088726_thumb.jpg

post-6675-127670888449_thumb.jpg

The above is one of my favourite shots

post-6675-127670889672_thumb.jpg

post-6675-127670890441_thumb.jpg

post-6675-127670891527_thumb.jpg

post-6675-127670892553_thumb.jpg

The above is one of Damian's favourites

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

That's excellent Chris, I look forward to seeing it sometime! What shows are you lined up for next?

Hi Rod

We had a lot of interest in the layout at DEMU so the following list could lengthen over the next few months:

October 2010: Wadebridge

August 2011: Three Spires, Truro

November(?) 2011: Warley @NEC

April 2012: Trainwest, Melksham

I think i've missed a couple but will get confirmation from layout owner, Damian

• RMweb Gold

There's a few more DEMU show shots here taken (i think) by our leader, Mr York:

post-6675-127670930408_thumb.jpg

post-6675-127670930614_thumb.jpg

post-6675-127670930863_thumb.jpg

post-6675-127670931049_thumb.jpg

Very nice Chris.I like the scenery and the buildings look smashing.

• RMweb Premium

I used to be a fitter down there for a while in 1991, you've certianly managed to portray the atmosphere of the place really well, it makes me want to clock on and do an A exam or two, lovely.

You didn't take any photos while you were down there did you? We're trying to round up as many period (late 80s / early 90s) photos as we can, especially the buildings and yard area. Any help is much appreciated.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rod

We had a lot of interest in the layout at DEMU so the following list could lengthen over the next few months:

October 2020: Wadebridge

August 2011: Three Spires, Truro

November(?) 2011: Warley @NEC

April 2012: Trainwest, Melksham

I think i've missed a couple but will get confirmation from layout owner, Damian

Shurely shome mishtake here? You're not booking 10 years ahead :blink:

(sorry being silly - I know it's this October)

Love these pictures, especially your favourite with the shunter & wagons, also Andy's pic of "Elgar" on the main. I really want to go to Wadebridge in October now....

There's a few more DEMU show shots here taken (i think) by our leader, Mr York:

post-6675-127670930408_thumb.jpg

post-6675-127670930614_thumb.jpg

post-6675-127670930863_thumb.jpg

post-6675-127670931049_thumb.jpg

I'm not a modern image fanatic, but I am enjoying looking at the pictures of this layout and hope to see it in the flesh soon.

Colin

• Like 1