2ManySpams

• RMweb Premium

I too was stunned by the layout at DEMU.

One question, at the show you were running a couple of clay tiger wagons built from the S Kits kits. I asked at the time where you got the transfers for the logo and the blue flash from but unfortunatly the builder of the wagons had wandered off. As I have one of these kits just awaiting transfers to finish it off could you please let me know the source?

You can get Tiger transfers from Scalemodel transfers

http://www.scalemodeltransfers.co.uk/

Hi

I have seen this layout at Stafford and Showcase and have been mightily impressed by it. It is to my mind one of the best of the current exhibition layouts around at the moment. Well modelled and avoids what I feel is a modelling cliché- that of a station taking up all the room. This allows for a bit of railway where you can see what is going on and just watch the trains run by- much as you would at the lineside. In addition there is scope for shunting in the sidings. All in all something different and a new take on the depot themed layout.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry everone for the lack of replies - been busy at work and somehow missed these latest posts. On behalf of Damian and his band of helpers, thank you all for the kind comments.

Craig, thanks for the signal box photos - they're great. Glad you took some around the back as that will be the side that faces the public. Interesting collection of other buildings and 'bits' too. Much appreciated. Many thanks.

Yes that's the chap who makes the transfers - couldn't remember who Geoff had said until i saw it in print. (edit see Geoff's post below)

We're next out with DitD in October at Wadebridge and a further 3ish times at other shows. Don't think we're near London though.

I too was stunned by the layout at DEMU.

One question, at the show you were running a couple of clay tiger wagons built from the S Kits kits. I asked at the time where you got the transfers for the logo and the blue flash from but unfortunatly the builder of the wagons had wandered off. As I have one of these kits just awaiting transfers to finish it off could you please let me know the source?

The transfers that you were looking at on the S Kits Tiger wagons were produced by myself, I did purchase some from Scalemodel transfers last November well in advance, but when I came to use them the print on the transfers had not adhered to the transfer sheet and therefore they could not be used. hopefully I will get some replacements

The transfers were produced using Coral Draw and transfer sheet from Crafty Computer paper and some of there Acrylic varnish

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The transfers that you were looking at on the S Kits Tiger wagons were produced by myself, I did purchase some from Scalemodel transfers last November well in advance, but when I came to use them the print on the transfers had not adhered to the transfer sheet and therefore they could not be used. hopefully I will get some replacements

The transfers were produced using Coral Draw and transfer sheet from Crafty Computer paper and some of there Acrylic varnish

oh yes, forgot about the issues you had with the scalemodels ones. Think my memory is going with age, mekpak abuse ;-) and thinking about what trainset to build for myself. Hope all is well with you guys.

• RMweb Premium

Having viewed this thread since you started it with the buildings, I shall look forward to seeing some photo's of the construction of the signal box.

Colin

Hi Colin

Think i'll have to source the windows first before starting the build - i've learnt my lesson there on other buildings! The front of the box will face the operators and an easy option would be not to model that side but is that likely? ;-)

Does anyone into signal boxes know if this is a standard GWR design? If so i'm hoping that there are already some suitable window etches available. Failing that it could be another call to York Model Making for some specials.

Food for thought but...... the next building i've already committed to is the third part of the workshops and these will be done for the Wadebridge show in October. Will chat to Damian about putting the signal box in the queue.

Massive thank you to Craig for the photos btw - once again showing what a great asset the forum is for modellers.

• RMweb Premium

Hi

I have seen this layout at Stafford and Showcase and have been mightily impressed by it. It is to my mind one of the best of the current exhibition layouts around at the moment. Well modelled and avoids what I feel is a modelling cliché- that of a station taking up all the room. This allows for a bit of railway where you can see what is going on and just watch the trains run by- much as you would at the lineside. In addition there is scope for shunting in the sidings. All in all something different and a new take on the depot themed layout.

Glad you like it Natalie

When Damian originally said he was building a modern(ish) image shed layout i initially thought of all the typical examples i'd seen to date. Then he mentioned it would be 4' deep and that it would be based on St Blazey with all it's old buildings and the clay wagon works then i got very interested. He's aimed for something that breaks the typical MPD steriotype and judging by the comments for show and thread visitors, appears to have succeeded! It's been great to work on and i hate to admit it but i've learnt a bit about the railway scene that isn't steam or SR biased along the way. Always good to do something different.

Wow.

I've only just worked out how to get on to this RMweb thingy, and that was with Chris's help.

By way of an introduction I'm the 'Damian' refered to - the owner of 'Diesels in the Duchy'.

I am absoluley stunned at the kind comments that have been posted about our little version of BZ.

Thank you all very much, it certainly makes it all worth while.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Wow.

I've only just worked out how to get on to this RMweb thingy, and that was with Chris's help.

By way of an introduction I'm the 'Damian' refered to - the owner of 'Diesels in the Duchy'.

I am absoluley stunned at the kind comments that have been posted about our little version of BZ.

Thank you all very much, it certainly makes it all worth while.

Welcome to your layout thread Mr R!

Wow.

Welcome Damian. biggrin.gif

The comments are very well deserved, I think you've got one of those well regarded superstar layouts on your hands.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Very good to see the layout in the flesh at Demu, fantastic stuff!

Really impressed with the standard of the buildings, have you written anywhere how the brickwork was painted?

I've not written anything down, it's all down by eye using a relatively limited number of acrylic colours and weathering powders all on top of Halfords red primer. I will have to try and remember what i did as there's the third part of the back building on the workbench and t some point I'll have to get the brickwork to match! Something i did on the wagon shops (long building with lots of windows) was to give the brickwork a final quick waft with Halfords grey primer - this seems to knock the intensity of the brick colours back a bit to more subdued hues. I'll make a point of recording what i use next time and post it here.

Not much help - sorry.

• RMweb Premium

Welcome Damian. biggrin.gif

The comments are very well deserved, I think you've got one of those well regarded superstar layouts on your hands.

Do you think we should have DitD merchandise / t-shirts made up?? :D

• RMweb Gold

I've not written anything down, it's all down by eye using a relatively limited number of acrylic colours and weathering powders all on top of Halfords red primer. I will have to try and remember what i did as there's the third part of the back building on the workbench and t some point I'll have to get the brickwork to match! Something i did on the wagon shops (long building with lots of windows) was to give the brickwork a final quick waft with Halfords grey primer - this seems to knock the intensity of the brick colours back a bit to more subdued hues. I'll make a point of recording what i use next time and post it here.

Not much help - sorry.

Like the idea with the primer. Will look forward to hearing what you do when your finish the back building. If I can get my brickwork to half that standard I will be very happy!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Glad you liked the pictures. I'm lucky in the job to be able to get pictures people cant normally see. Glad to assist genuine folk!

Much appreciated Craig

Well i think Damian has gone for the idea of adding a signal box near the Par line on DitD and i've found that Modelex sell etches of the 5 pane GWR windows.

One question - has a corner of the box been rebuilt? From the photos it looks like new brickwork and pointing.

• RMweb Premium

Enough chitter chatter, back to some modelling. I was lucky enough to grab a few hours today so I made a start on the third section of the worksop / smithy / powerhouse building that sits at the back of the layout. This should please Damian as at the moment there's a large empty patch of ground painted grey....

A few photos of the building I'm modelling

post-6675-128069939232_thumb.jpg

Working out the dimensions by counting bricks (is this sadder than counting rivets?)

post-6675-128069940875_thumb.jpg

My dodgy working sketches...

post-6675-12806994212_thumb.jpg

post-6675-128069943279_thumb.jpg

post-6675-128069944422_thumb.jpg

And a template of where it has to fit...

post-6675-128069946853_thumb.jpg

Making a start by marking up the brick embossed plasticard (SE Finecast in this case)

post-6675-128069948426_thumb.jpg

post-6675-128069949725_thumb.jpg

Using dividers to cut the curves

post-6675-128069937932_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Continuing with the build...

Cutting more openings out of the brick sheet and progressing down the building

post-6675-128069991605_thumb.jpg

post-6675-128069993186_thumb.jpg

post-6675-1280699947_thumb.jpg

post-6675-12806999964_thumb.jpg

The gable end - oversize at the moment, with the 3 recessed arches yet to be cut out.

post-6675-128069997943_thumb.jpg

The openings traced onto a 1.5mm thick sheet of plasticard that will form the backing piece.

post-6675-128070000646_thumb.jpg

The openings only partially cut out - the fine work is done after the brickwork skin is added. The hatched areas were left in at this stage to help keep the frontage straight and prevent it being attached curved to the backing piece.

post-6675-128070001887_thumb.jpg

post-6675-128069988791_thumb.jpg

Using Plasweld to join the two layers

post-6675-128070028035_thumb.jpg

Cutting the openings to size with reference to the actual window frames - these are from York Model Makers

post-6675-128070029361_thumb.jpg

post-6675-128070030863_thumb.jpg

post-6675-128070032206_thumb.jpg

post-6675-128070025503_thumb.jpg

All the other lines indicate to me where the different layers need building up - this will be the next stage. The sloping red line at the top of the building isn't a mistake - it's the gutter line. The gutters go on top of the wall not in front of it.

That's all for now folks - this will now continue slowly in the evenings after work. I do have until October to finish it though!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

smile.gif Another gem coming up!smile.gif

I hope so! I'm building the layers up on this one slightly differently to the last one. Both previous buildings used a single sheet of brick for all the facing with the different layers cut out fretwork style and built up using layers of plain plasticard behind. This took ages, so i'm trying something else this time...