2ManySpams

• RMweb Gold

Used to always look for the Red Barrel especialy if we went up north in the sixties but did not have much luck found a pub in Derbyshire once cant remember the taste but the advertising was persuasive! In Belgium beer is big news and I never understood why it was so popular they even sponsored a pro bike team with some of the best pro cyclists in Belgium in it and gained a great deal of publicity.Mass produced beer seems to be on the wain thank goodness we have at least three micro brewerys round here .Back to trains,are you doing anymore trackwork on DITD ?

You might find one in the 'Coors'  Museum (Is that its name? Doesn't sound right) in Burton and the 'Flowerpot' in Derby has one on the bar for a lark.  Can't remark on the quality of the Red Barrel but I remember drinking some cask Worthington E... I wasn't impressed :stink:

• RMweb Gold

Cask beer of that era was soapy & simply dire - it may or may not have improved - but was designed to be easy to deal with. Thus the publican could safely allow anyone to change barrels in the cellar, and the beer would be fine. In a trade that hasn't made fortunes for many in the last 50 years, this was popular. But its very soapiness begat CAMRA, the Campaign For Real Ale. In a very short space of time, publicised by their Real Ale Guide, an annual list of pubs still flogging the real thing, such houses became much more profitable, as the cognoscenti made pilgrimages, Guide in hand. Traditional draught British bitter is now back firmly on pub counters.

Watneys was known as Grotneys. Ind Coope's leading brand, Double Diamond, ran a clever campaign with slogans like "DD is OK4U!". Phew. It wasn't long before this was countered with the unofficial slogan "DD is K9P"!

• RMweb Premium

Wow!

Better go and buy one - always wanted to get in MRJ.....

Flicked through a copy of MRJ today at the Telford show and was amazed to see pages of adverts for the EM show with DitD in full glorious technicolour. (photos must be a good 2 years old though as the long low building is missing). 

Cask beer of that era was soapy & simply dire - it may or may not have improved - but was designed to be easy to deal with. Thus the publican could safely allow anyone to change barrels in the cellar, and the beer would be fine. In a trade that hasn't made fortunes for many in the last 50 years, this was popular. But its very soapiness begat CAMRA, the Campaign For Real Ale. In a very short space of time, publicised by their Real Ale Guide, an annual list of pubs still flogging the real thing, such houses became much more profitable, as the cognoscenti made pilgrimages, Guide in hand. Traditional draught British bitter is now back firmly on pub counters.

Watneys was known as Grotneys. Ind Coope's leading brand, Double Diamond, ran a clever campaign with slogans like "DD is OK4U!". Phew. It wasn't long before this was countered with the unofficial slogan "DD is K9P"!

Double Diamonds!

Railfreight Distribution !

Subject Reset !!

• RMweb Gold

And folk can guess for themselves what Whitbread Tankard was known as!

on ebay at the moment, with british rail "livery"

http://www.ebay.at/itm/Britischer-Behalterwagen-WATNEYS-Lima-HO-451-E-gebr-/390651538834?pt=DE_Modellbau_Modelleisenbahnen&hash=item5af4a56d92

i bet one of you buys it:-D

the tanks were also used for sludge/oil in diesel depots, and were often seen around dungeness... but always found their way back to Watneys... yummy!

Edited by kevinklein
  • Like 2

on ebay at the moment, with british rail "livery"

http://www.ebay.at/itm/Britischer-Behalterwagen-WATNEYS-Lima-HO-451-E-gebr-/390651538834?pt=DE_Modellbau_Modelleisenbahnen&hash=item5af4a56d92

i bet one of you buys it:-D

the tanks were also used for sludge/oil in diesel depots, and were often seen around dungeness... but always found their way back to Watneys... yummy!

Brilliant - love it!

I did have an idea once for the Beer & Pie railway in G scale, which was basically a station and goods facilities serving a massive pub. Beer brought in by bogie tanks to an oil style terminal, the beer then piped directly in the to the side of the pub in huge pipes. Pies would be brought in by large box wagons and fork lifted around in to a large receiving bay.

And then trains of very fat people - perhaps a travelator would be required between the station and pub?

• Like 1

At least you are doing more modelling thn me at the moment.

Here is something no get your thirst up.....and note that there is railway content in this photo!

Very Interesting railway content too - and the first time that I've seen a photograph of the incident from this direction.

On October 22, 1895, the Granville-Paris express was "in charge" of 2-4-0 No. 721 and ploughed straight through the buffer stops, across the 30 metre concourse and on through the rear wall of the Gare Montparnasse, finishing up nose down in the Place de Rennes. The photo generally seen of this accident is from the other side with a little more showing of the impressive station frontage and no people are present in the view (which is credited to Roger-Viollet). 

According to Jonathan Glancey (The Train, Carlton books, 2004), this was the second station at Montparnasse built in a chaste Roman style, between1848-52 and almost a century later, the Germans surrendered Paris here to General Leclerc in August 1944.  The station has been completely rebuilt and replaced between 1969 and 1972 and now has a 200 metre office tower on the top!

Such is progress, but what a great photo. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Very Interesting railway content too - and the first time that I've seen a photograph of the incident from this direction.

On October 22, 1895, the Granville-Paris express was "in charge" of 2-4-0 No. 721 and ploughed straight through the buffer stops, across the 30 metre concourse and on through the rear wall of the Gare Montparnasse, finishing up nose down in the Place de Rennes. The photo generally seen of this accident is from the other side with a little more showing of the impressive station frontage and no people present in the view (it is credited to Roger-Viollet). 

According to Jonathan Glancey (The Train, Carlton books, 2004), this was the second station at Montparnasse built in a chaste Roman style, between1848-52 and almost a century later, the Germans surrendered Paris here to General Leclerc in August 1944.  The station has been completely rebuilt and replaced between 1969 and 1972 and now has a 200 metre office tower on the top!

I have the "other" view hanging up in the sejour (living room/kitchen), and also hadn't seen this perspective before. Montparnasse is "my" station in Paris, where the TGVs from Le Mans arrive. My first arrival there was on 22nd October 2004, 109 years to the day since the incident! And the towerblock is actually a bit down the road, on what may have been the original site of the station. Deb and I went on the roof in 2005, being in Paris for her 50th.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes - I was there - Nine Lightning's!

I went with a school mate, we were on our push bikes - too young to drive!

There's something very spooky about coming across videos on Youtube from your distant past.

I had a big lump in my throat

I was there too, in my dark period when we lived in Cl**th**pes :O , only had slide film, a real "month at f8" day, anything moving was blurred. Great to see that footage.

Mike.

I was there too, in my dark period when we lived in Cl**th**pes :O , only had slide film, a real "month at f8" day, anything moving was blurred. Great to see that footage.

Mike.

Cleethorpes?

Not sure i would have admitted that in public and in writing - ha ha

I'm originally from Louth, so it was only a few miles on the bikes....