2ManySpams

Treneglos was built more than a decade ago, so if it was the ballasting process it's taken a while to manifest itself...

I very much doubt anything either in the Ballast or used to lay the ballast would have caused it, could it not just be a case of poor quality Nickel?

• RMweb Premium

I very much doubt anything either in the Ballast or used to lay the ballast would have caused it, could it not just be a case of poor quality Nickel?

No, definitely attack by mice.

It was the special rail corroding element in the mouse pee

And poo. Lots of poo.

Doesn't anybody read the posts before commenting, if read, you would see that the layout was attacked by mice who left sh1t and wee all over the layout and track, which has corroded the ns rail

Geoff

Doesn't anybody read the posts before commenting, if read, you would see that the layout was attacked by mice who left sh1t and wee all over the layout and track, which has corroded the ns rail

Geoff

This is the parallel universe of Andy P we're talking about here...

Topic reset required me thinks.

Geoff

This is the parallel universe of Andy P we're talking about here...

Topic reset required me thinks.

I DID read the post before Geoff, but the Acid in Mouse Sh1t should not effect a good quality Nickel, that was my point.

And yes a parallel Universe maybe, but at least it MY UNIVERSE, haha

We are getting way off topic with diversion into Mouse droppings and urine, and I have no desire to start a fight, but Andrew P' s post :- 

the Acid in Mouse Sh1t should not effect a good quality Nickel, that was my point.

Causes me to ask how does he know that "good quality nickel" would not be attacked by the rodent droppings. Who supplies the best and poor quality stuff. ?

Nickel Silver is a Bronze alloy, it is Copper based with about 12% nickel and 17 % zinc.

I have no information about Nickel Silver's Corrosion resistance, but I have asked a producer for their views. If I get an answer I'll report back, 

Again,I'm not trying to ruffle feathers!!

We are getting way off topic with diversion into Mouse droppings and urine, and I have no desire to start a fight, but Andrew P' s post :- 

Causes me to ask how does he know that "good quality nickel" would not be attacked by the rodent droppings. Who supplies the best and poor quality stuff. ?

Nickel Silver is a Bronze alloy, it is Copper based with about 12% nickel and 17 % zinc.

I have no information about Nickel Silver's Corrosion resistance, but I have asked a producer for their views. If I get an answer I'll report back, 

Yes that intrigued me too.

I'd be interested to see what you come up with.

Ruffle those feathers, let's get some facts in to the equation.

DonB, on 23 Feb 2017 - 17:31, said:snapback.png

Yes that intrigued me too.

I'd be interested to see what you come up with.

Ruffle those feathers, let's get some facts in to the equation.

Don't worry, you wont ruffle my feathers, I'm only going by what we were told at Engineering College many moons ago that a GOOD QUALITY Nickel is none corrosive, so I'd be interested to know the answers, how it's happened and why.

Sorry D, back on Topic.

DonB, on 23 Feb 2017 - 17:31, said:snapback.png

Don't worry, you wont ruffle my feathers, I'm only going by what we were told at Engineering College many moons ago that a GOOD QUALITY Nickel is none corrosive, so I'd be interested to know the answers, how it's happened and why.

Sorry D, back on Topic.

Back on which topic?

post-8734-0-86701500-1487883872_thumb.jpg

First post here, not quite as I imagined.

Nickel silver is not a Bronze alloy it has no tin in it, though it is sometimes regarded as a brass.

There is some tendency for corrosion on contact with acids, due to the presence of zinc. Mouse water is acidic, that could well cause the corrosion.

I am not sure what defines good or bad NS though.