2ManySpams

Oh no - two more books to buy.

thanks for that.

Only two, oh no there's more than that! 'British Railways - Past & Present - East Cornwall' by David Mitchell (a friend of mine) has a shot of the 1971 open day (1-5-71) with 1363 on the turntable. In the background can be seen 806 'Cambrian' and in the shed, 854 'Tiger'. So that's a class 42 and a class 43 Warship in the same picture. It also shows the coaling stage in the process of demolition, the water tank having already been removed. I thought it was quite late when this was demolished as the Bernard Mills picture (1969) was taken from that point.

Also worth noting is that prior to 1974, there were no 'clay-hoods' as these wagons were simply sheeted when loaded and open when empty. I have some photos as late as 1980 with sheeted wagons, indicating the time span over witch they were introduced. The variety of wagons and vans was quite extensive, although the colour was bauxite, under a covering of clay dust.

• Like 1

Its interesting to see that you are considering being able to run the layout in different era's of the railway network, and going by the photo's put on here of the layout, there should be a seamless transition. Would like to see some photo's of it when done in the 60's era, steam dying out and diesels coming to the fore.

Colin

• Like 1

Great and Inspirational modelling!

More books!

"The Newquay Branch and its Branches" [John Vaughan] has several photos of the sheds including the wagon repair shop, including the inside - more in "An Illustrated History of West Country China Clay Trains"

The roundhouse - does anyone have a definitive measurement for the length of the building? Counting bricks and scaling from google earth (given the turntable is stated to be 71" diameter) gives different values -somewhere between 75 & 90 feet.

The turntable - the tracks curve onto it - except the middle road 5 - probably because there was origionally a smaller turntable with its centre further from the shed (45-50' diameter ?). If straight lines are drawn along the centres of each roof ridge [having printed out the google earth image], they converge at a point about 10 feet from the centre of the present turntable. This point can be assumed to be the centre of an origional, smaller turntable with stright tracks to it.

A larger turntable cannot be accomodated on this point as the nearmost running line is in the way, so the centre would have to go closer to the shed, requiring curved approaches. 50' would be long enough to hold two CMR 060T's - but I've not come across any reference to a smaller turntable in earlier years.

I was planning a compressed model of the roundhouse, part in low relief, but that is on hold with a house move in sight.

Class 25s - the derbysulzers website has full details of when each loco arrived (from summer 71) and departed from the South West.

Class 35s - I've never seen a photo of a Hymek on clay. Laira had a small number from 1964-67 including D7095+ (all the last 6? - not sure) from new, also D7068 and a few others. I believe this was to work the ex SR route via Okehampton, but I have seen a photo of one at Penzance. Someone like Bernard Mills (Plymouth Railway Circle) might know more about their workings in Cornwall. An article in Traction established D7032 and D7055 were the last visitors (to PZ) in 1972 during a strike, I guess Hymeks would have been extremely rare west of Plymouth after 1967.

The crossing keeper's cottage - I remember watching the TV programme - the owner stripped off the render which had covered it for much, if not all of its life (most buildings close to the sea tend to be rendered, particularly those of brick or rubble construction).

The shed headshunt was immediately behind the cottage, and a loco (or DMU?) had gone through the buffers at some point!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

D1072

Not sure about definitive dimensions for the roundhouse but Damian could probably tell you hoe big the one on DitD is. Failing that I may have some of our original photos / google earth measurements somewhere in a file.

Thanks for the other details - all helps build a better picture.

• RMweb Gold

As far as I can recall from the 1985 trip with 'Clun Castle' we only used roadborne water to top the the tender. There certainly wasn't any 'proper' steam loco watering facility available at St Blazey then although there might well have been a hydrant supply. In fact I think one of the arguments we used to avoid steam special operation on the Newquay branch was the lack of reasonable basing facilities at St Blazey - somewhere I've got a copy of the position paper I wrote for our Ops Manager; I only came across it a few months back among my GW 150 papersblink.gif.

Interesting how views change over the years, Mike - current steam operators seem to like using St Blazey a whole lot more - especially as it avoids a long run tender-first to Plymouth to turn - a very important consideration if the train is running to/from Penzance....

This brings to mind the problems we had turning Bittern (I think it was) earlier this summer - the safety railing around the edge of the turntable pit was fouled by the A4 and had to be oxy-acetelyned off before we could complete turning the loco - a small delay ensued to the departing train (which was starting back from Par on that occasion).

• Like 1

. . . or helped to remove part of the ugly fence teetering around the edge of the turntable pit and right in the way of taking photos!

It is there because the semi roundhouse is now industrial units, the ground between the shed and turntable is now fully concreted in and is used by road vehicles to and from the depot entrance (right / north of the roundhouse), the roundhouse units, and the former CMR works (the long bit with the two story powerhouse which Daminan has modelled).

• Like 1

Great and Inspirational modelling!

More books!

"The Newquay Branch and its Branches" [John Vaughan] has several photos of the sheds including the wagon repair shop, including the inside - more in "An Illustrated History of West Country China Clay Trains"

The roundhouse - does anyone have a definitive measurement for the length of the building? Counting bricks and scaling from google earth (given the turntable is stated to be 71" diameter) gives different values -somewhere between 75 & 90 feet.

The turntable - the tracks curve onto it - except the middle road 5 - probably because there was origionally a smaller turntable with its centre further from the shed (45-50' diameter ?). If straight lines are drawn along the centres of each roof ridge [having printed out the google earth image], they converge at a point about 10 feet from the centre of the present turntable. This point can be assumed to be the centre of an origional, smaller turntable with stright tracks to it.

A larger turntable cannot be accomodated on this point as the nearmost running line is in the way, so the centre would have to go closer to the shed, requiring curved approaches. 50' would be long enough to hold two CMR 060T's - but I've not come across any reference to a smaller turntable in earlier years.

I was planning a compressed model of the roundhouse, part in low relief, but that is on hold with a house move in sight.

Class 25s - the derbysulzers website has full details of when each loco arrived (from summer 71) and departed from the South West.

Class 35s - I've never seen a photo of a Hymek on clay. Laira had a small number from 1964-67 including D7095+ (all the last 6? - not sure) from new, also D7068 and a few others. I believe this was to work the ex SR route via Okehampton, but I have seen a photo of one at Penzance. Someone like Bernard Mills (Plymouth Railway Circle) might know more about their workings in Cornwall. An article in Traction established D7032 and D7055 were the last visitors (to PZ) in 1972 during a strike, I guess Hymeks would have been extremely rare west of Plymouth after 1967.

The crossing keeper's cottage - I remember watching the TV programme - the owner stripped off the render which had covered it for much, if not all of its life (most buildings close to the sea tend to be rendered, particularly those of brick or rubble construction).

The shed headshunt was immediately behind the cottage, and a loco (or DMU?) had gone through the buffers at some point!

Its interesting to read your comment on the curved roads in to the roundhouse, the reason for it had not occured to me and, if i'm honest, has puzzled me. if you were building from scratch you would make sure everything lined up. but of course if the size of the turntable changed! that explains it!

I have drawings of the original turntable and how it was extended. I also have the drawings for the roundhouse although i cannot find them currently - errrhhhh! scruffy! the drawings i have are not dimensioned tho. John (old gringo) spent a good few hours working all the geometry out from the drawings, google and brick counting on photos, resulting in the footprint being drawn on the base board. i think we got it pretty close.

Just bought the following books;

• Heyday of the Westerns
  • BR Diesels in the 1960's & 1970's
  • Diesels in Depth - Westerns

Awaiting Heyday of the Hydraulics & Warships.

think there is a lot of good material on Westerns and the Warships, however the D600's are harder to research. i have a dozen photos from various books and magazines but none at St Blazey.

Does anyone have pictures of D600's at St Blazey????

• RMweb Premium

Just dug out the notes from my file. I used three methods to work out the length of the outside wall.

1. Google earth gave an average of 80'

2. Counting bricks initially gave slightly less but then I realised that all the bays were not identical in length which revised the dimension upwards.

3. Using geometry - the front face of each bay is 54mm (@4mm) and the rear is 108mm. Each bay appears to turn through 10deg. Pressing some calculator buttons gives the wall length to be 310mm or 77.5'.

There's obviously error in all three methods but I'd say a figure of around 80' won't be far off.

think there is a lot of good material on Westerns and the Warships, however the D600's are harder to research. i have a dozen photos from various books and magazines but none at St Blazey.

'The Newquay Branch and it's Branches' by John Vaughan (OPC 1991), has a picture of D600 in Green SYP in St Blazey yard alongside the wagon works building in 1963.

Also, J V's 'Branches and Byways, Cornwall' shows D600 passing through Fowey on a St Blazey to Carne Point clay working, again in 1963.

Damian, could you PM me please regarding my earlier message please.

Clive.

With regards to D600s at St Blazey, I asked Hugh Dady about this and he said they were regular visitors between 1962 & 1966. He also sent the following link:-

http://micksworldofb.../p55814602.html

He thinks this picture was taken around 1965, enjoy. All the class were withdrawn in December 1967 and languished at Laira before being broken up at Cashmore's, Newport and Woodham's, Barry.

With regards to D600s at St Blazey, I asked Hugh Dady about this and he said they were regular visitors between 1962 & 1966. He also sent the following link:-

http://micksworldofb.../p55814602.html

He thinks this picture was taken around 1965, enjoy. All the class were withdrawn in December 1967 and languished at Laira before being broken up at Cashmore's, Newport and Woodham's, Barry.

D820,

that's brill - the famine is over, i now believe that they were seen at St Blazey and what a great shot. thanks for your help on that.

'The Newquay Branch and it's Branches' by John Vaughan (OPC 1991), has a picture of D600 in Green SYP in St Blazey yard alongside the wagon works building in 1963.

Also, J V's 'Branches and Byways, Cornwall' shows D600 passing through Fowey on a St Blazey to Carne Point clay working, again in 1963.

Damian, could you PM me please regarding my earlier message please.

Clive.

Boscarne,

Ok, i'll stick that on the growing list of books to buy!

Thanks for that.

Btw, being a new boy to RMweb, what does PM me mean?

Just dug out the notes from my file. I used three methods to work out the length of the outside wall.

1. Google earth gave an average of 80'

2. Counting bricks initially gave slightly less but then I realised that all the bays were not identical in length which revised the dimension upwards.

3. Using geometry - the front face of each bay is 54mm (@4mm) and the rear is 108mm. Each bay appears to turn through 10deg. Pressing some calculator buttons gives the wall length to be 310mm or 77.5'.

There's obviously error in all three methods but I'd say a figure of around 80' won't be far off.

ooopps.

im not crediting everyone involved in working out the roundhouse dimensions.

sorry Chris.