A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Thurso - 2mmFS

• RMweb Gold

Morning and a quick update from me...

The main track work has now all been laid and three of the four turnouts just need the switch blades added. Then check rails to all four.

After that I can begin to start adding droppers and then undertaking some thorough ;) testing...

A few pics of progress...

post-3290-0-85067500-1500798489_thumb.jpg

post-3290-0-44876600-1500798522_thumb.jpg

post-3290-0-12690100-1500798550_thumb.jpg

In construction industry terms, we appear to be 'on programme'...

• Like 9

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Pete,

What a treat - looking forward to seeing this develop. Really enjoy your drawings and design approach to layout building. So neat and tidy - so architectural really. Brilliant workmanship.

Mike

Hi Mike - Many thanks for your kind comments - it's me overlaying my day job on my hobby I guess...Pete

Nice work. I'm designing laser cut baseboards at the moment and I'd be interested to know the dimensions/spacing of your tabs and whether the laser kerf alone is sufficient to give them a precise fit.

Thanks also dpgibbons - It depends upon your material and laser cutter. I asked our model shop supervisor and he told me for 3mm ply then the width of the laser cut required to cut through would mean the joints would be fairly snug - so I drew the lines overlaying each other...if that makes sense!

Hi there,

Nice work as ever.

Apologies if I am being dense, but when you transfer the completed track to the actual baseboard how much of the track "base" is going with it?

Cheers

Ben A.

Thanks also Ben - not at all, good question - it's just the 1mm layer of white card that gets ported across to the baseboard - I made up the sub base to be 50mm so that I could pre drill wire droppers and they could protrude through - the white base and the track with droppers was then glued down using PVA - hope that helps!

Pete

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Update - Thought I had best mention on here, as I updated the Thurso blog entry earlier this week to say I have condemned all the trackwork :rolleyes:

When I came to wire it, the running qualities were just not up to the standard I felt warranted continuing...and there is no point moving on to scenics if it runs like a dog.

Meantime I have put this on hold whilst I am experimenting again using PCB and rail turnouts. Easitrac turnouts are are a great product and people have demonstrated that they can look and run well in equal measures...but I just can’t get on with them.

I still feel I have time within the deadlines so hope to have things back in shape for 2018...

Edited by bcnPete

Shame that the project has taken a knock back, but I've reached the same conclusion Pete - I really appreciate (need) the bodge-ability of being able to adjust soldered pointwork. I think you really need to get everything spot on first time with the Easitrac points - something I just don't seen to have the knack for

Justin

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Shame that the project has taken a knock back, but I've reached the same conclusion Pete - I really appreciate (need) the bodge-ability of being able to adjust soldered pointwork. I think you really need to get everything spot on first time with the Easitrac points - something I just don't seen to have the knack for

Justin

Agree 100% Justin - hats off to those who can get on with it as it looks stunning :good:

• RMweb Gold

post-13616-0-57212400-1508958085.jpg

Guess which approach gets my vote.....

I agree with the hats off to those who get easitrac points points to work.

They do look good and there are plenty around so obviously my hamfistedness is getting in the way.

Edited by Argos

• RMweb Premium

I have not tried the pegged easitrac but the original style I found could be tweaked a little by using a fresh scalpel blade to break the joint and easing and re gluing , although I always build with some pcb sleepers to make the electrics easier, having said that my own easitrac GREEN  3rd rail layout has been stalled for many months

Nick

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifPenultimate point.jpg

Guess which approach gets my vote.....

I agree with the hats off to those who get easitrac points points to work.

They do look good and there are plenty around so obviously my hamfistedness is getting in the way.

Looks good to me Argos - yes I recall on KoL I used easitrac turnouts supplemented with a few PCB sleepers in the mix...

I have not tried the pegged easitrac but the original style I found could be tweaked a little by using a fresh scalpel blade to break the joint and easing and re gluing , although I always build with some pcb sleepers to make the electrics easier, having said that my own easitrac GREEN  3rd rail layout has been stalled for many months

I think part of my problem Nick was when I applied the soldering iron it was melting some of the chairs especially around the frog...which meant replacing them very difficult :no:

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

After much thought of recent few months, culminating in a refocus this weekend I have decided to withdraw from the competition as I will no longer be building this Thurso layout anymore.

A rethink of interests, priorities and current finances have all contributed to this decision which although was a difficult call I feel it is right for me going forwards.

Thank you all for your interest to date and I wish everyone all the best for this exciting competition.

Pete

• RMweb Gold

Pete

I trust all is well and look forward to meeting up at the DJLC

Nick

Yes thanks Nick - have just decided to work on Meeth for the DJLC and then after that perhaps pursue my 7mm interests.

I shall be keeping my Kyle layout though and have some shows lined up for it this year and next ;)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Pete

What a shame - small Scottish termini are a pet love of mine.  I was hugely impressed by Kyle and looking forward to this one developing.

However, I know how our interests can change, and how enthusiasm can wane.  I hope you enjoy your other projects!

What are you planning to do with Thurso?

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hi Pete

What a shame - small Scottish termini are a pet love of mine.  I was hugely impressed by Kyle and looking forward to this one developing.

However, I know how our interests can change, and how enthusiasm can wane.  I hope you enjoy your other projects!

What are you planning to do with Thurso?

cheers

Ben A.

Ben, hi

Many thanks for this and your kind comments re Kyle.

I do love the small Scottish termini too but I felt that this layout would actually be taking something away from Kyle rather than adding to it...the baseboards will be bubble wrapped and stored in the garage but it’s unlikely to restart - sometimes we need to turn the page like I did when I scrapped my Coombe Junction layout when we left BCN...I get the odd days of regret but we don’t have the space otherwise we would have a room full of railway projects...and my wife has already hinted they have grown!

Meeth is for the 2mmFS DJLC in 2020 and my 7mm project is the one in my signature...meant to be a retirement project but lack of patience and failing eyesight is bringing that closer up the priority list!

Pete

• Like 1