LNWR workbench John

A bit of a conundrum here.

I don't recall where I found the information for the D330 roof vents shown in the photo posted on Sunday at 21:19.

The side elevation drawing on page 31 of LNWR Non-Corridor Carriages (Millard & Tattershall, LNWR Society) shows a row of vents above each compartment (although the one above the lavatory is slightly offset towards the end of the carriage.The drawing on the same page for the D329 is similar although the vent is central above the lavatory. I may have used that for my reference but it is possible that the drawings are incorrect.

D227 on page 24 shows a lamp in a "cut-out" above the lavatory towards the outer edge, with  the vent inboard of that but slightly offset towards the centre of the carriage. D167 on page 23 is the same.

Given the information in WCJS page 41 (HMRS) a 8" lamp lamp set in a recess, 2' 4" from the roof longitudinal centre line, with a small vent 1' 6" from the C/L, in line over each lavatory compartment would seem to be correct. Unfortunately it is difficult to confirm that from the photos in the Non- Corridor book, although the photo of a D165 on page 21 does seem to support it. However the photo of a D159 on page 17 seems to add a further option! All rather confusing, really.

• Like 2

Longbridge or Derby? :jester:
I have two of my own and probably a third  if I put all the bits together too.
One of them is my first car from 1961.......
A7 Anorak :wacko:

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, KalKat said:

Or should that be supe7b ?

Emma

Getting into the realms of the Lotus 7, which of course started as a glorified A7.
BUT, we must not wander away from the LNWR, even if I am to blame :)

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...